Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Wildlife Pics

Re: Wildlife Pics

Oohhhhhhhh its not a plover. Looks like a type of sandpiper

Derek

owww pretty birdie. ims till convinced that in the first picture it is grass that i am meant to see

long way to roll/slide if you fall over the side. we were almost certain that one of the girls in the group was going to roll over the edge but that never happened.
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

Gorilla_in_Manila

Keep trying.

Looks like a baby Kerlew to me
    baldy

Yep thats right Gorilla. didnt get one on the wing but mumma plover sure wasnt happy.

that is a good picture of the sausage stealing ha ha bird. i hear both the sausgae and the ha ha bird are good chewing
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

Gorilla_in_Manila

Quote Originally Posted by baldyhead
    Looks like a baby Kerlew to me
    baldy
    No cigars for you either sorry Baldy.
    Good try though.

Cheers
    Jeff

You guys are taking some amazing photos! Thanks a ton! I appreciate it. Remember, for me, seeing the places and animals you're all used to, is a whole new thing and I'm really getting a kick out of it. The biodiversity on this Earth of ours just boggles the mind.

I was lucky enough to see one of those ha ha birds in person at the "Lincoln park zoo" here in town. Very neat.

You're waaay braver than I am Derek, holding a sea snake like that in that picture. Aren't those the most deadly poisonous snakes in the world? I wouldn't get within a hundred feet of one of those! Spiders and snakes---nooooooo thank you! And then there's my legendary fear of sharks! I'm like "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" when it comes to those guys--"Run away!!! Run away!!!"

Thanks again everyone and keep 'em coming! Really great stuff!

E.C.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

OEUMEDOODLE BIRD?

Gorilla_in_Manila

Quote Originally Posted by baldyhead
    OEUMEDOODLE BIRD?
    Ha ha Baldy,
    Sounds you and my dad heard the same jokes at school ... but this one has legs.

No its actually a baby pipi bird or pied oyster catcher. If you see the parents walking around near the sand dunes with a couple of balls of fluff following, walk toward them and they will all bolt for the spinafex covered dunes. The parents will walk off doing the wounded wing routine and peeping like the youguns, but the chicks will have dived into the nearest tuff of spinafex and flicked sand over their back for camoflage. Bloody hard to see, so careful you don't step on them.

The chicks will sit there without moving a muscle even when you move the grass from around them like the second photo.

Cheers
    Jeff

I was wondering when a wallaby was going to make its appearance. Are those the same animal as a kangaroo?

That frillie lizard is a sight to behold! Looks like a dinosaur.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Nearly EL C, they look similar, Roos are usually bigger and live in more open country and travel over a much larger range.
    I've shot both and they pretty well die the same way.

BTW here is a picture of a hole for you.