Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lake Awonga new campground

Re: Lake Awonga new campground

Hi Corry,
    how's things. some little voice in the back of my head is saying awoonga in november or december, what are you up to, would be good to catch up for a couple of days "fishing"
    cheers
    dazza

CQ_Fisher

Hey Dazza,

I just found this post today. Looks like Corry's been holding out on me, I didnt even know these places existed and ive been in Gladdy for best part of 7 years now. Listen to that voice in your head, it knows what its talking about. A trip out that way later in the year sounds like a top idea. I'll catch up with Corry and see what he reckons. Keep in touch.

Cheers
    JD

Needmorerum

Dazza, JD, anyone else who is interested. I'm all for a run out around the back end of Awoonga.
    Weekend of the 12th and 19th November is out for me, as is the weekend of the 3rd of December. Any other time is perfect.
    Doesn't leave much I know, still leaves the weekends of the 29th Oct, 5th, 26th November, 10th, 17th December.
    Leave it up for conversation.

Corry

PG

Hi fellas, If you wouldn't mind a tag-along from Rocky, I've liked the idea of fishing Awoonga for a while now, just never had the opportunity to spend any time there.
    Can't say I'm a definite but I wouldn't mind tagging along with a mate.
    Got my own 4WD and boat, self sufficient camping. Looks like a great place

CQ_Fisher

Hey Paul,

Ive lived in Gladstone for about 7 years now and really have never given Awoonga much of a try. I'm gonna start checking it out and later in the year see if anyone is interested in a mini CQ Meet & Greet. Keep your eyes out for a post.

Cheers
    JD

PG

Here's a little map that some people might find useful I've been trying to find out how to get there and where the roads are and this is the best I've found so far without going to a Topo map of the area.

Needmorerum

Google Maps show the area quite well. If you punch in

24 03'57.28s 151 17'30.42e

it will show you the boat ramp.

From here you can scroll around and have a look.

Corry

hi ,i hope to get up there soon ,maybe next week ,can someone please give imfo on these camping spot photo,s looks magic ,like what rd to take, how far to travel down it ,can these spots be seen from rd or do you have to find em,I only have punt with 5 hp looks calm area ,can i put in from camp,also this looks like a good area to fish poppers at night from banks has anyone been up to that ,one more question is this public land or private ,is it ok to camp there WITHOUT ANY HASSTLES ?i would be greatful for any help ,cheers mick.

Needmorerum

The Taragoola area of the Dam has now been closed off. Too much of a good thing. I contacted the Gladstone Area Water Board and the reason behind it is 'liability'. They would like to leave it open, but the access road crosses the Quarry Haul Road and this is to dangerous for tourists.
    They did say that people are welcome to camp at the Boynedale Bush Camping area, which to get to it is quite simple.
    Go straight through Calliope, and head out towards Biloela. Turn left at the Monto Rd intersection and travel down around 12k. There is a sign on the left at the turn off to the camping area. A small tinny can be launched here is you wish.
    When travelling out, as you cross the railway line, start looking for the turnoff about another kilometre up the road. I had some piccies somewhere but can't find them. The area isn't as nice as the Taragoola area, but you can still access the water and camp there without getting stung.

Cheers
    Corry

thanks corry for your imfo,shame about that taragoola area,cheers mick.