Thread: freshwater dams camping

mju_75

freshwater dams camping

Hello Everyone,

Hello my wife and i are thinking about going camping at one of the freshwater dams around brisbane within 2 hours anyway any ideas please i would rather it be a dam that you could have power boats,i was thinking Moogerah Dam but open too sujestions any help would be greatful

Cheers

Mark

Re: freshwater dams camping

Mark

Leslie Dam out past Warwick will be right on your 2 hr limit and is pretty good for camping, follow the signs to the ski club and you will be right.

You can camp at Moogerah as well as Maroon but you will be a few hundred metres from the water at Maroon.

Cheers

Good camping at Somerset Dam although the water level is very low - you could also try borumba which should be withing your 2 hour limit.

Wivenhoe is a nice spot which is close by.

Unfortunately though power boats are not allowed.

But their is stacks of free firewood and it is handy to everything.

Louis

hussy

dont go to sommerset if you want to get any sleep. there are a special breed of water skiers who dont need to ever go to sleep, so they yahoo all night .with their drunken women screaming and laughing, till it is burnout time,thats when the noise really begins. do yourself a favour try another dam ie wivenhoe,nice one near melaney, bejeke peterson,barumba,boondoomba, not sure of the spelling have to check.hussy

Yeah, how annoying is that? There is always some tossers that spoil it for everyone! I don't usually get any sleep the first night (Fri), as there is usually some yahoos who insists on staying up way past everyones bedtime with their loud music & annoying laughing. But, usually by the next night, they are so exhausted, and go to bed early! Maybe, I am so tired from a days fishing I don't hear them!

Just try & camp away from any big groups! Or take ear plugs, like my dad! He slept through New Years, while no-one else got any sleep!

Bjelke Petersen Dam is a great place to camp, but the water level is a bit low at under 5%. Sommerset has had some rain lately. Haven't been to Barumba lately, Boondooma is good, but probably too far from Brisbane, unless staying for a while.

borumba is close but camping is below the wall as is a few dams the deer park a kilo or 2 below the wall has a realy nice camp ground on the yabba ck
    Do yourself a favour and check out boondoomba near proston a bit further but a top place
    And you cannot camp at baroon pocket which is electric power only and is near Melany
    Another thats on your time limit is crestbrook dam up in the hills behind esk The council does not encourige hoonig or skiers as there is a on the plane just speed limit only
    And one that is my favourite to camp is TSR (traveling stock reserves) these can be really quiet at times and some are sizable try the ones that are located on river banks out west NO FEES Small boats and canoes are the go though also I have found a few properties that open there gates to camping on there river bank for a small fee these are usually really good value as theives are not around when your not

Mark

You could also try Cressbrook. Excellent camping area, power boats allowed but/and NO Waterskiers. The fishing can get a bit slow but did I say there's NO JETSKIS.
    There is a speedlimit of 8kn(I think) policed by the local ranger sometimes and did I mention NO WATERSKIERS OR JETSKIS so you can leave the shotgun at home.

Kev

Toonumbar dam near Kyogle northern NSW might be a goer as well. There are basic facilities including a boat ramp and the camping fee is small. May be a little over two hrs from the vegas though.

Ben