Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coleman Portable Water Heater

Coleman Portable Water Heater

Hey Guys,

I have seen this portable water heater made by Coleman (the camping accessories company) at BCF for some months now.

It retails for around $300.00, and uses a pilot light to creat instant hot water.

the one at BCF on the Gold Coast has been on display for some months, and seems to not be as hot as i remember the first time I saw it. It doesn't apear to work as well as it used to.

Has anyone got one or used one who can tell me what they are like after a period of time.

Regards

Darren

Re: Campbell Portable Water Heater

G'day
    I am not familiar with a campbell brand of hot water system. I know the Coleman brand that works on the same principal of using a pilot light. Is that the one you mean?

Re: Coleman Portable Water Heater

Sorry Rhetley,

It is Coleman that I meant. I have modified the original post.

Have you had any experience with it? Im considering buying one for the new boat.

Darren

yeah mate

have been using them now for about 12 months and am quite impressed.

I am not sure as to why the one you saw at BCF didn't appear as hot as previous times that you have seen it? They work off portable gas cylinders, or an adapter to a 9kg bottle etc. And the temperature is based off the control /thermostat dial. Possibly the dial may have been at a different setting between the times that you tried that water???

They are rechargeable by 240V only, if my memory is correct, but I take a genny camping so thats not an issue.

I think again........with a fading memory that they are suppossed to get roughly 120L from a little gas cylinder, I have always gotten more than that which I presume is due to that fact that I don't have a full temperature shower therefore using less gas.

Possibly needed a recharge so may not have been performing as well as it could. That definately affects the water pressure.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Rhetly

mate i bought one as well and it is great i run 9kilo gas bottle,i have hooked sand spear up to it but be warned it has burnt the motor out after about 30 showers,my pump is about 19ltres per min since found out to put pressure tank in to stop pump working all the time

rubba

If you have the luxury of having a spear, thats fantastic, but you need to 'decanter' from the spear into a drum first and then let the internal pump from the shower work at it's own rate.

I guess you already found this out, but at least this bit of info my help others!

Rhetly

the idea is to get pressure at the shower head and also if i wanted to carry another drum i might as well go back to putting my keg back over the fire.not only does it save room in my pop top but u have non stop hot water at the flick of a switch.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice. All sounds good so far.

I was considering plumbing it into my existing water tank in my boat, rather than using a drum or something. This will enable it to be used either at the sink or as a shower. Do you see any dramas with that? Im concerned I will buy it and then not be able to find the fittings required, as they are all US fittings.

Regards

Darren

boatboy50

You will have no problem hooking this up to your water tank.......except for, like you say, the fittings.

The end of the hose that draws the water up I think cannot be removed with out damaging it so you would need to have a bung in your tank capable of fitting about 2" hole which to put the end down into your tank and then be able to seal around the roughly 1/2" water hose. If you have a look at the system, you will see what I mean.

I am not 100% sure but I think that there is an electric pump or impellor in that end so you can't actually cut it off anyway??

eggbeater

On special at Kmart this week. Top price save $90.00

we have one! the first one we got did what you said! it was extremely hot for the first 5 showers then the temp seemed to cool down! took it back to bcf and got a new one! have not tried this one yet!
    also the 4th night the system failed to ignite! something was wrong! maybe a bad batch! but apart from that! bloody good thing!

Hey there, I've just ordered a Primus hot water unit for the same money so I'm waiting to see how it compares. Will let you know after easter.

stevo
    Life begins when you get one!!!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice.

I ended up doing the price match thing at BCF and bought one. Now I just need the boat to arrive so I can install the bloody thing!

Stevo. be sure to keep us up to date with how yours is going.

Regards

Darren

i'm after one ..

do kmart stil have them for $300
    or
    where are they the cheapest?????

"whats the time"

Snapper,

Not sure now, but check out Kmart. I checked them while shopping (was on top shelf with no staff around), so I then went to BCF on my way home and price matched. They are never happy when they actually have to do that.

As usual their staff had no idea about how it worked or how I could plumb it up to fit the boat.

Not sure now, but I got mine for $289.00. Maybe try to price match on that somewhere else.

Regards

Darren