Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Know - How to get rid of Geckos

Anyone Know - How to get rid of Geckos

Couldnt think of where else to post this - we seem to have been invaded by Geckos at home (Sunshine Coast)

Does anyone know how to get rid of the little buggers - they are everywhere and crapping on everything?

Surface Sprays, Spray with Dettol, Traps???

Any advice or previous experience.

Thanks
    Phill

Re: Anyone Know - How to get rid of Geckos

Funnel web spiders should scare them off.

I would have 100 or so at my place too, maybe 6 or 8 inside.
    I don't see them as a problem. The cute little things eat the mozzies and moths.

Mate of mine lives in Gordonvale (NQ),he gets bucket loads of them at his place,he has found that spraying with Dettol slows them down.

Cheers
    Paul

I think these ones are the indo variety which are taking over in plague proportions - the are hanging aaround the kitchen lights outside - (free insects) but making a mess on outside servery / tables etc.

Thanks

I didn't mind them when they ran around outside on the insect screens eating mozzies. But then I got a new boat and have to clean the gecko crap off it every time I take it out. That's it!!! Death to all geckos.
    If anyone finds a way to keep them away let me know
    Cheers Freeeedom

That's an easy one.

A pedigree burmese - mine's called oscar. He can jump and take a gecko off the 2.7m ceilings at home. Not that I like cats too much - just married into them if you know what I mean.
    Gotta say its much more entertaining that watching the adds on tele.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Mate,

They are now at least as far south as Lismore in northern NSW. I've been hearing them outside for the last year or so - haven't seen one yet. I love the little blighters, but then again they haven't crapped over anything of mine yet.

Did you ever consider that the Geckos have increased in direct numbers to their available food supply???...............Get rid of the Geckos and you may have an even worse problem

Just a thought.

Cheers
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Ausfish Bronze Member

I live in Redlands,they are everywhere inside/outside.I know some blokes that install aircon's,they (geckos) do alot of damage to them about $600-700 worth.U can get your aircon sprayed with a product that will apparently stop the damage hope they don't get into mine!Wonder if there anygood 4 bait?

Call Steve Erwin

The_Walrus

IMO, they'd make a great bass bait.

Luc

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

I live in Rockhampton and we've got literally hundreds of them around the house, inside and out. They do make a bit of a mess, but I like seeing them keeping the mossies and moths and beetles at bay.

I don't mind laying in bed at night listening to the noises they make either. Strange how such a small, soft animal can make such a loud gutteral barking sort of noise.

Cheers
    Dave

I think we'll have to learn to live with them, there're here to stay. Never thought about where they nest, better check the A/C.
    Steve.

Hey Dave
    The locals in Fiji have a saying "that the geckos are cheering great sex". If they are noisey at your place-well best left to others to judge
    They also cover the area above their sleeping /playarea with glad wrap to stop the little buggers from peeing on you whilst your a sleep. The geckos apparently cant walk on the plastic.
    Hope you havnt been effected by Larry
    The weather down here has been just fishable, we are both looking forward to May when we are up your way again.

Wally

I have a pressure pump spray and I loaded it with a dettol mix - i can tell you all first hand they dont like it at all - also a guy walks around at night sparying toads with it and it stops them in their tracks too.

So for all people infested with toads and geckos - dettol is good.

The problem is that these geckos are imported vermin and exploding in pouluation and probably to the detriment of other natives.

Anyway - I have become a pretty good shot with the spray on stream setting and those little suckers hit the deck straight away.

Thanks for all the posts.
    Phill