Thread: Fraser Island camping

Fraser Island camping

Hi Im going to fraser island in june and I would like to know where is the best place to camp so that we can fish from the beach and rocks?
    Does it fish well all over the island or just some parts?
    Do all camping grounds have toilets/showers close by?
    We are in Brisbane and #will be taking 2 fourbies over so whats the easiest/quickest way to get there?
    Any other tips for a good stay?

Floyd

Re: Fraser Island camping

If you want Rock fishing then the camp ground at waddy point is your best option, it has the only toilet & showers north of indian head.

Alternately if you want to mainly fish the beach then Dunduberra or Cathedral Beach could be the go. Its probably about 30 min run from there to Indian Head depending on the tide and how soft the sand is.

If you can go without the facilities then you could camp in the dunes around ocean lake.

You have to pre-book the camp ground spots online at www.epa.qld.gov.au

Make sure you choose the campground and not just beach camping.

As far as Fishing goes, you have to find the fish on the day and be prepared to move. You shouldn't go a day without catching a couple unless the weed moves back in.

Don't forget a trip to the western side of the beach is worth a go for a flathead.

Check the report section in a week and a halfs time for the Fishing expo reports. I am heading up for the comp in about 8 hours myself.

Cheers

Lazy

The best way to get there is from Inskip Point. You may want to plan a bit in advance in regards to timings so that you get a low tide to travel up the beach. It will make it alot quicker than fighting soft sand or going inland.

Floyd,
    We are also heading up to Fraser in June.
    Quickest way from Brisbane is straight to Rainbow Beach through Gympie ... then the barge from Inskip. It's just under 3 hours to Rainbow from Brisbane.
    Definitely want to get to the island around low, preferably an hour before it if you are planning on driving to Waddy Point or thereabouts (which will be 1.5 hours drive from Hook Point).
    All the eastern beach is good for fishing. I've only spent a little time on the western side fishing. Any decent gutter on the eastern beach will hold dart almost all the time and tailor, bream, whiting a lot of the time.
    Final tip for a good stay - follow the ranger's advice on dingo rules (eg. keeping campsite clean) or you will cop a $225 fine.

Cheers,
    Steve

You guys have been very helpful, thank you for all that excellent information.
    camping and fishing, I cant wait #

Floyd

Floyd

Check this out as well in regards to rules, info etc.
    Particularly about being 'dingo aware' with food and rubbish.

The rangers are very anal and do issue infringements for non-compliance.

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/p...x.cgi?parkid=1

Cheers

Floyd

There isn't enough room in the reply box to give you a thorough run down on what Fraser has to offer in June. The above info is on the money and I won't add much other than the lakes and rainforests and creeks are sensational. They are however mostly south of Indian Head. So if you want to sight see, fish off rocks, fish the west side and day trip to Sandy Cape, then somewhere around Dundabara is probably your best bet. If you don't give a about lakes and rainforests etc then Waddy to just past Ocean Lake would be my go. From Ocean Lake to Waddy toilet/shwrs is about 10 mins at low tide.

At the moment (or at least when I was there 1 month ago) it was impossible to drive from Ocean Lake to Waddy Point on the beach because of rocks/sticks and a steep dune that made it impassable at low tide , as far as I could tell. I guess this is from erosion earlier this year.

You can always take the Orchid-Waddy track but it's more than 10mins.

I must say that the Ocean Lake section of beach camping really impressed me. First time I'd camped north of Waddy and we had a great spot. Good for a quick trip to Sandy Cape (Ngkala Rocks bypass was quite bad though) or Wathumba, but the nicer Lakes (Mackenzie etc) are a long drive.