Thread: New North Point Campground at Moreton

New North Point Campground at Moreton

Hi All,

Just a quick question...can anyone confirm if fires are permitted at the new North Point Campground on Moreton Island?

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: New North Point Campground at Moreton

Best to ring National Parks

They will be able to tell you for sure.

Louis

New camp ground at North Point? Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I talked to the ranger last week and there are no fires allowed at the North Point campground . There is a toilet and shower there .
    We are going over there for a week from the 5th June and that's where we are planing to set up.

Thanks Redman,

It's either Yellow Patch or the Ocean Beach for us then [smiley=fireman.gif]

Good luck,
    Mike

The plan is to shut down the beach camping at yellow patch/north point and only allow camping in the new campground at the old squatters. plenty of glass around in some places and have to carry gear in as you cant drive into your camp site or get camper trailers in. Another prime spot ruined.
    pete

Fraser's gone, Teewahs going and now Moreton. That shift to the Territory's coming sooner than I thought.
    I think National Parks make these decisions in order to make life easier for themselves rather than protect the natural environment. I'd accept 'closed for regeneration' areas (if they ever got opened again) but to close the whole lot off forever to any real camping is taking the pi$$!!
    You'd be amazed at how much destruction National Parks cause in Cooloolah National Park with burn offs (regularly) and fire breaks being cut all over the place. Maintaining walking trails doesn't happen. Preserving the coloured sand hills doesn't happen. In fact National Parks lit a back burn at Teewah after the fire had turned on itself with a wind change that burned up and down the coloured sand hills for a fortnight without being inspected at any time. They just love lighting big fires which I have witnessed several times when there is absolutely no necessity. Policing illegal camping doesn't happen. Responding to repeated questions as to why the above isn't happening doesn't happen. Actually addressing the fox plague that they repeatedly say they are going to do doesn't happen. Environmental Protection Authority my ass. Individual landowners with clout protection agency - definitely!!
    Then there's Fraser ...........

Didn't know ass was offensive?

Lindsay,
    Yeah I'm a bit of a "got ot have it all ready to go as early as possible as you never know what might come up" also I'm working night shifts (weds&thurs) knock off Friday 06.00hrs and then hook up the trailer and off to your world. WE have hit a bit off a snag with the missus full of the flu and me with a tickle in the throat so will see how it all is Thursday night before the all aboard is called. Its always something that will stop a bloke going for a fish and a coldie. If we dont make it this month definately next month, have a look at the weather map it going to be a top weekend. She will get better,she will get better, she will get better,I'm not getting it,I'm not getting it, I'm not getting it.
    See ya soon mate,
    Cheers
    Barry and Co.
    Take photos and memories leave only footprints, respect the enviroment when 4 wheel driving , never be too busy to help out someone in need.

[quote author=Slider link=1148010408/0#9 date=1148387534]The long term plan - well not so long term - is to confine all camping on Fraser to designated camping areas. . Dingoes are also a factor in this decision as they want all campers inside dingo proof fencing. Eventually they aim to have no camping whatsover on the island outside of these enclosures.

I just tried booking 2 x camper trailer sites at Waddy point & was informed that there was only one site left for the June July holidays , This is only one of "4" sites that are suitable for camper trailers ....
    My reply was that's ok i'd be just as happy to set up in a tent site as perfectly flat ground isn't absoloutley necessary , thier response was sorry the tent sites are walk in only no vehicle access... You park your vehicle out in a parking area & walk in to where your tent is .....What happened to the group sites where tents & trailers were welcomed ????
    We are now looking at Moreton Island , so can anyone tell me if there are any trailer frienldy grounds on Moreton or is only option left to beach camp (camp grounds preffered for the wife )

Can understand the push for the camp grounds to control where people go & to limit the amount of human waste being put into the dunes but there seems to be a lack of thought into the design of the grounds & the types of campers using them , I reckon there will be a rise in breakins in vehicles that are unattended because you can no longer have them next to your tents .........
    I got to vent my case to QPWS & they didn't seem too interested , guess i'll just have to book well in advance for multiple sites in future ..........
    Once again can anyone enlighten me to trailer friendly sites on moreton island ???????
    Cheers Mal

Fires are still ok on most of Moreton, as far as I know. For how long is anyone's guess.
    I haven't camped at Teewah for a couple of years, are they now banned or about to be banned there Slider?
    The fire ban isn't stopping us heading to Fraser in June, but it certainly is pissing us off.
    I noticed when on Fraser in April that a lot more camping areas are now closed. I've never seen any get opened again There's still plenty of spots when the island is not too busy but it must get tight at Easter/Christmas/Sept holidays!!!
    Eventually there'll be no beaches to drive or camp on in SE Qld/Nth NSW.

The long term plan - well not so long term - is to confine all camping on Fraser to designated camping areas. I notice when I was there at Christmas that they have already started this plan with long stretches of no camping zones in place where previously it was only small sections of eroded dune that were off limits. This is as a direct result of the number of backpackers there now, particularly between Eurong and Dundabara. Dingoes are also a factor in this decision as they want all campers inside dingo proof fencing. Eventually they aim to have no camping whatsover on the island outside of these enclosures.
    A no fire policy is being phased in at Teewah currently with signage already in place. Moreton is to follow suit and eventually all national parks in Qld. Again it is easier for them to manage.
    We are in fear here that the beach will be closed to vehicular traffic as a result of incidents at Easter. They are talking about it but the stumbling block is Teewah as our only access is along the beach.
    And yes, in twenty years I have grave doubts that anyone will be driving on any beach in SEQ or NSW.

Lindsay,
    Just packed the camp trailer with firewood ,should I take it out . Last time I was up your way nearly every camp had a fire going. Whats the go mate is this all new, a mate just returned last week and he was sitting around the fire wetting the whistle at the beach camp site. Please dont say its all over.
    Cheers
    Barry.
    Take photos and memories leave only footprints, respect the enviroment when 4 wheel driving , never be too busy to help out someone in need.

Not yet Barry. Is coming though and leave that timber in the trailer as with the temp here this morning you might need it. And if I come up for a drink mate I'd like to be sitting beside that fire as well.

Mate, you do get organised early. Or is that simply forward planning with a maroon victory tonight likely to cause a Thursday 'write off'?

See ya up here mate.

Hey Guys
    Instead of bitching between ourselves, WHY NOT GET THE WHOLE OF AUSFISH to send their answers / replies feelings to :-

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/about_the_...t_us/feedback/

I just posted one of your answers/ bitches direct to their site by copying one of the replies [Highlight the text you want - PUSH ctrl THEN C [=copy] go to their site, get to feedback "in your message box" just click to put your cursor as though you were going to type a message. Push down cntrl then V on the keyboard and your or someonelses BITCH wil be pasted into their site.

So you don't have to even be a lawyer and be able to spell.

IF ENOUGH PEOPLE DID THIS TO "EPA" "PARKS & WILDLIFE" ,"FISHERIES" 'DEPT of TRANSPORT"

and anything we all feel STRONGLY ABOUT eg SUNFISH, NUGGETT'S FEELINGS [[[[F?***0 - even your own thoughts - GET WITH IT or you WILL BE FISHING IN YOUR OWN F***ing SWIMMING POOL shortly

mike] ]]