Thread: your opinions on Thunderbird Park camping sought

CHRIS_aka_GWH

your opinions on Thunderbird Park camping sought

freckles and I are going to take the kids for a non-salty camping experience in June- July and were tossing around Binna Burra, Greens Mountain and Thunderbird Park.

We settled on Thunderbird Park as it isn't as far to travel & you can have open fires in their fireplaces from what we can work out.

I'd love to hear your opinions if you have been to Thunderbird, especially if you have kids (mine are 8 & 5). We are only planning to go for a maximum of two nights at this stage..

chris

ps
    I personally have been to Binna Burra & Greens.

Derek_Bullock

Re: your opinions on Thunderbird Park camping soug

Hi Chris

Been a couple of years since I was there. Camping is alongside the creek and yes as you said, campfires are available. They also provide the wood.

http://www.cedarcreeklodges.com.au/

Derek

CHRIS_aka_GWH

how was it derek, are the facilites good - is it a decent bush setting - i'm not expecting rainforest of course - what are the sites like for the tents etc

I haven't camped there, or visited for years, but if you do go don't leave any food on the ground.
    The bloody goannas down there wander straight into your picnic area and steal it.

cheers,
    Owen
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Was there a little while ago doing some fossicking and thought the place was looking quite run down. The camping area itself isnt really in the bush as such but the bush is near by and in my honest opinion there are much nicer places to go. If the camp ground at binna burra that you refer to is the one where the lodge burnt down a little while ago then this a hell of alot better than thunderbird park.

Went to the park a couple of weeks ago. looks like it had been let go a bit but is now under new managment. It looks like it could be a nice place. facilities are v/good showers and toilets and has a restaurant even. Plenty for the kids to explore, not a real serious camp site but nice for a quick short notice get away weekend. ring and book a place for long weekends

CHRIS_aka_GWH

ta guys - we booked in for next weekend - we thought we'd give it a go as its much closer than going up the mountain & its a trip more for the kids sake than anything else.

I'll post some impressions & pics if anyone's interested.

chris

me and my mate went up about the same age as your kids with my mates grandparents and had an absolute ball. found a couple of thundereggs and had heaps of fun in the creek behind the campgrounds. if you follow the creek up you come across a waterfall...really cold and really deep. only drawback...couldn't afford to get too many of the thundereggs cut.

kylieg

I went up there with my 10yr son on the last long wkend...he took his bike..plenty of room for footy and cricket etc. #There is also a vollyball court and mini golf ($4 a game approx).

Be aware the grounds have been split into 2 (seperate owners and names). One runs the creekside camp grounds and the other owns the caravan park. We found the Creekside to be the best as there was grassy areas, plenty of shade and well formed firepits. The other was all dirt and not much shade unless u could get into were the caravans were, which were then 200mts or more walk 2 the creek.

Since it is not far from brissy it is worth the effort 2 go 4 the drive and have a look, pick with site/s u like best and book it..we did this and ended up with a great site wich was well secluded from the rest, nice and flat and new how we were going 2 set up before we got there #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Ice and firewood is available at a price, we paid $10 for about 8 small bits of hardwood # so bring some if u can. Fossicking also comes at a price and is pretty hard work. #[smiley=wut.gif]

All in all was a good wkend....nothing better than a few drinks, lots of grub, kookaburra's, goanna's, sounds of running water and a warm fire with lots of gooey marshmellows #