Thread: Turning and storing my Caravan

Turning and storing my Caravan

We live on a reasonable size block however we have trouble parking our Caravan for easy use. By easy I mean being able to turn and place the caravan with moderate stress. Has anyone been able to design or know of a system that allows you to turn a van in a confined space? It may end up being quite an expensive option but at the end of the day if it makes the whole journey easier then we'll ensure we're home less and the Van gets used a whole lot more. Happy to work with someone to design an idea that you may have.....

Re: Turning and storing my Caravan

Hi Austcamper.

Have you looked at the oversize Jockey Wheel which has a lever drive system(For want of a better explanation) that you operate with a long handle.

Essentially a manual drive on the wheel,and you steer and move the van easily by hand.

I have not used them.

Perhaps some other poster that has one might contact you or leave a message

Should be available from Caravan parts or similiar store

Regards
    Seabug

Yep got a few of them. The van weighs approx 2.5 tonnes and the wheels can't handle the weight on grass.... cheers for the info but

Hi Austcamper,
    Do you have this one.

http://www.travellerwa.com.au/
    http://www.travellerwa.com.au/aussiewheel.html
    Regards
    Seabug

And would it be feasible to use heavy sheets of ply under the unit above when on grass. Have 2 sheets and move one along as needed.

Gorilla_in_Manila

Hi Austcamper,

Would have thought a large inflatable jockey wheel with the lever drive system would have moved over the grass ok unless very very soft ground; even if you had to let half the air out to move it then pump it back up. The old man had to upgrade to a large inflatable tyre to move his similar sized / weighted bushtracker around. He leaves the pressure in it fairly low to help with the ground brearing capacity but then puts blocks under the tow hitch when parked then winds the jockey wheel up to just above the ground to take the load off the side walls of the tyre. He leaves the jockey wheel in the vertical position for safety. (with padlock # )

Failing that, have you thought about putting a tow hitch point on the front bull bar (assuming you have a 4wd) and doing the final parking that way. Much more manovurable and you can see where your going in tight spaces. Reverve in as far as you are comfortable, then turn the car around and finish the parking.

If you have a steel bull bar and already use haymon-reece system, it would be as simple as getting a short length of the right sized square hollow section welded on the bottom of the bull bar, drill a couple of holes in the sides for the locking pin, then insert the removable piece of your current tow bar in it. It wouldn't have to be load rated or anything too flash since you are only using it for a few minutes parking. Leave the jockey wheel in place vertical an inch or so above the ground when parking the van if you were worried about it letting go.

Cheers
    Jeff

Im guessing its a dual axle van as it weighs 2.5 ton.
    If so ratchet wheels wont work too well as you have to screw the wheels to turn and that requires a lot of effort.
    Gorilla.s idea of a front tow bar .is probably the best as it is easier to manouvre? when you can see the van.
    I assume you have looked at all ways of gettin where you want it.Sometimes we cant see the forest for the trees
    Just my opinion...

install a turn table like the trains ...
    "whats the time"

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Take one set of wheels off when you get it home. Will make it a hell of a lot easier to manouver.

Cheers
    Dave

good idea dave,as long as there isnt too much wheel travel..and allows the hubs onto the dirt...

I have seen ppl move caravans with a ride on mower that may be an option
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><