Thread: Wire type for greenbacks on beach

Wire type for greenbacks on beach

Hi all,
    just wondered what kind of trace people use on the beach when fishing a 2 ganged hook rig with strip baits for large tailor. I’ve seen quite a few articles online where people use a short wire trace to stop bite offs with bigger fish. Not sure what type of wire. I’ve never used wire with 4 gangs and never been bitten off but for 2 5/0s ganged with a swivel it could easily be swallowed by a good fish. Or do people use heavy mono/ fluoro? Thanks all, Mike

Re: Wire type for greenbacks on beach

I never use a wire leader, would rather get the bite off than not get a bite.
    Jack.

I have used in the pass a product, I think it was called Tress but have to go find it snd confirm. It is basically a woven SS braid that was more supple than wire, downside is diam is thicker but found it worked well at times when I was getting bite offs from taylor etc in the passage when chasing flatties. If I remember I'll check tomorrow. I think it was initially developed for tying around trees and stakes, but it worked when needed as it had less effect than wire whether single or stranded.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I have used in the pass a product, I think it was called Tress but have to go find it snd confirm. It is basically a woven SS braid that was more supple than wire, downside is diam is thicker but found it worked well at times when I was getting bite offs from taylor etc in the passage when chasing flatties. If I remember I'll check tomorrow. I think it was initially developed for tying around trees and stakes, but it worked when needed as it had less effect than wire whether single or stranded.
    Ok, so the label has worn off but it is similar to this stuff - Tuf-Line Braided Stainless Steel Tuf-Leader -Knottable Trace Leader
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Ausfish Platinum Member

I'll throw a curve ball in here, and it is with regard to hook type dictating whether or not you use trace. I have a mate who has fished the remote beaches here on the WA coast for a long time. His target is usually mulloway, but, of course there can be a lot of tailor involved, and our tailor tend to be on the large size. Now, we know mulloway don't like wire, but, back in the old 3-ganged hooks and mulie days, you'd get your fair share of bite-offs. A long time ago, he started moving to large mullet strips, and then small gardies. He found that snooded hooks were working better than gangs for bites and hookups. But snooding on nylon meant even more bite-offs , using J-hooks, or suicide hooks.
    Then he started using Circle hooks. These are usually 7/0 Mustad demon circles, 3 snooded on 80lb mono. And the bite-offs went down to inconsequential. Tailor tended to be hooked in the jaw, not inside the the throat, or the gills, where their teeth get into the line, and it has the added benefit of better releases on fish you don't want.