Thread: Ningaloo 23

Ausfish Platinum Member

Ningaloo 23

Just back from a month away, up near Exmouth, remote camping. Wind blew for almost two weeks, then turned perfect. Got some sails, hit the deep drop until we had our fill, then chased marlin. Enjoy,

Re: Ningaloo 23

Thats a nice reward for sticking out 12 days of crap..

Did you land the Wahoo on a mono leader....?

Ouch, those hooks are sharp, have much trouble getting it out. Looks like it was early in the days on the water.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Very nice. Trip of a life time. Well done.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Thats a nice reward for sticking out 12 days of crap..

Did you land the Wahoo on a mono leader....?
    Yes, wire below mono inside the skirt. You are generally fine if they are hitting the tail, if they take a fancy to the head, bye bye. We actually had two wahoo knife jobs--One was on a 3-way hookup on fair size YFT, one of them went limp. pulled it in and the 300lb wind-on had been sliced well above the swivel. DSo i guess there was wahoo mixed in with them....the other one was a teaser, I modified it with two pushers. the rear one was sliced, must have been the mate of the one we caught.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Ouch, those hooks are sharp, have much trouble getting it out. Looks like it was early in the days on the water.
    The pic was taken AFTER we pushed the barb through. That was the hard part. Not a question of hurting too much, it was full thickness and I just couldn't do it by pushing on the shank. . Ended up with my wife pulling on the point with the fishing pliers, and pushing down on the skin, and me pushing the shank. Relief to get that through, because then it was a simple matter of using the 300mm bolt cutters I always carry for the purpose, wrapped up in a bag and well-oiled ( you all do carry bolt cutters onboard, right ?) to cut it in half. And then carry on fishing--well, it was the first good day we had had, nothing was stopping us.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Very nice. Trip of a life time. Well done.
    Thanks, we do that ever year, some years are better than others. I didn't have the Gopro's going for the first few days of deep drop, or trolling either. Missed some spectacular footage of marlin strikes going completely airborne in the wake, shame. Have a look at some of my older ones, 2019 and 2020 were great.

Ausfish Platinum Member

That good Blue was a real surprise--really out of season, August with 23 deg water? Exmouth Blue's are famous, but they normally start to show in November, unknown in winter, where the fishery is typically small blacks. With odd better ones--my PB on Blacks ( est by length at 140kg) was taken in 35 m of water, in July, on a bibless minnow . Ther's a video on that in there, too. Niot always there, they were the first winter marlin I had managed on that boat.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    The pic was taken AFTER we pushed the barb through.
    Bugga..going by the pic I thought you got lucky and it just ended up with the point and barb already through....

It kinda really sux when you have to endure the process you went through...

Bolt cutters huh..!...thats a great idea and i will add that tool next time....I just take a pair of side cutters which made it too tough for my missus to use last time I copped a hook and it was in my right hand so was really quite difficult to cut in half with my left hand..

and yeah have lost a few mono leader skirts to the toothy speedsters as well...

Yep, those little bolt cutters are going into my tool box also. As I was launching on Wednesday a boat came in from offshore with one member having a set of ganged hooks in his thumb looking for sidecutters to get the surplus out of way but as I was just doing a little flicking, just goes to show, not enough thought put into tool kits on boats.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Ausfish Platinum Member

Years ago, I copped a heavy metal casting lure into the forearm ( fishing into the sun, fast retrieve, usual story) I was able to force the heavy treble through, but pliers took forever to chew through those hooks. So I carried end cutters for a while, much better, and good enough for small trebles, but I think I've had the cheap Supercraft bolt cutters on board various boats for at least ten years now. And it finally paid off. Just wrapped them in a plastic bag, well covered in CRC or something like it.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Great rewards for patience. Great tip with the bolt cutters too, I've just put them on my next shopping list.

Would love to get up that way some day, looks like a brilliant place to fish.
    Cheers
    Corry