Thread: Vanuatu - Christmas

Vanuatu - Christmas

Pretty excited to say I am heading over to Vanuatu on Xmas day for a 12 day trip with the family. Staying at Reflections Retreat, Havannah Bay. My wife has been over a few times for work but this time the family is going for a nice break. Needing some advice on what gear to take..... will be needing to purchase a few combos, don't want top of the range stuff and will only use it more than likely while over their, and will more than likely leave it with some of the local lads as a gesture of good will. My wife has made a few connections with the local villages through her line of work.
    I will have access to a Tinny for use, and also will have the assistance of some of the local guys over their to sort of guide us around. Will be chasing the normal stuff I guess being GT's, Coral Trout, Mahi Mahi etc. As throwing's poppers etc is all new to me, unsure of what rod/reel combos and line/ lures I will be needing. Would also like to know if throwing a few lures off the beach is a possibility of getting me a few results.
    As mentioned, first time over so any advice greatly appreciated from people who know the area.
    Thanks all,
    JN

Re: Vanuatu - Christmas

What is your budget ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hard question Nagg! As mentioned, wouldn't be using the gear except for the trip basically, but don't want to have a hook up and be let down as I have bought bottom of the range gear. My mate suggested a Penn 850, 2 piece 7-8ft spin rod......? Would be happy to spend around $300 a combo but can go up if needed. Just didnt want to spend a fortune on a couple of combos to have them sit in the shed till the next time I have a need for it. I am also the type to leave a combo behind to some of the local villagers who may really appreciate or have the need of one if I leave one behind for them.....Whenever my missus or us as a family go OS on a surf trip (we part own a small Surf Travel Business), she/we tend to take an extra board or two away, with the intention of not bringing it back, sort of a way of giving back to the local kids/villagers who are not so lucky as we...
    Your thoughts ??

This is the reel I would buy

300m of PE3 - 11kg of drag

ATC reel.jpg
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks Chris,
    Ideas on what rod to match it with, sorry, throwing large poppers and this type of fishing is new to me. I'm use to waiting patiently for Jewish or fishing off the beach for tailor etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    Thanks Chris,
    Ideas on what rod to match it with, sorry, throwing large poppers and this type of fishing is new to me. I'm use to waiting patiently for Jewish or fishing off the beach for tailor etc.....
    Your rod will be the problem ....... chucking heavy lures doesn't come easy for cheap rods - not to mention the need for a 2 piece rod

Ideally you want a 7.5-8ft - rated at 15-20kg & 100-150 gram lure weight

I'm really not sure what is available but will have a bit of a look

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Sorry,
    deleted double post