Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Semi flexible solar panels

Re: Semi flexible solar panels

Those 430W panels look very interesting. Close to realistic Watts per Square metre specs and the price is reasonable too.(for flexi panels anyway)

They claim 19.2% efficiency? Claims are all good on the net though, Would be nice to find an unbiased test. 2 of these should support a 60A solar controller?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Cool-ER is more appropriate then cool Dave...

Even with the vented gap setup she still radiates some good heat inside the hardtop...that thin big black panel sure does heat up and it sits only about 15mm off the hardtop surface itself...

Only used it once so far and didnt have the luxury of Midday sun or barely any sun unforunately...
    Cool…. Thanks Scott. I’ll find a way to increase the gap, especially as it will be mounted over a Bimini. Pretty sure I read somewhere of fires being started by these panels being installed without the vented gap.

Cool-ER is more appropriate then cool Dave...

Even with the vented gap setup she still radiates some good heat inside the hardtop...that thin big black panel sure does heat up and it sits only about 15mm off the hardtop surface itself...

Only used it once so far and didnt have the luxury of Midday sun or barely any sun unforunately...
    would be great if you have the time one day to pull her out of the garage and get a reading on the max output at midday.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I bought a cheap 120 w flexible panel for the hardtop, didn't last the first trip. The seller did give me a refund, so I then spent a bit more and bought one from some Australian off-road supplier 4 years ago which has been faultless and has survived trips on bad corrugated roads, etc.as well as bashing around at sea all that time. Just stuck it to the roof with the good 3M double sided tape. Unfortunately, eBay won't give me a purchase history that far back so i can't give you a name.

edit--according to the cheap MPPT controller, it will output up to 10 amps, whch should not be possible with a 120 w panel, but there you go. Simply keeps the battery charged well, I can leave the fridge running ( BD50 compressor which pulls 6 amps) and anchor light on for days on the mooring , with just a lead-acid house battery of 75ah.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    I bought a cheap 120 w flexible panel for the hardtop, didn't last the first trip. The seller did give me a refund, so I then spent a bit more and bought one from some Australian off-road supplier 4 years ago which has been faultless and has survived trips on bad corrugated roads, etc.as well as bashing around at sea all that time. Just stuck it to the roof with the good 3M double sided tape. Unfortunately, eBay won't give me a purchase history that far back so i can't give you a name.

edit--according to the cheap MPPT controller, it will output up to 10 amps, whch should not be possible with a 120 w panel, but there you go. Simply keeps the battery charged well, I can leave the fridge running ( BD50 compressor which pulls 6 amps) and anchor light on for days on the mooring , with just a lead-acid house battery of 75ah.
    Thanks Ranmar. Good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Cool…. Thanks Scott. I’ll find a way to increase the gap, especially as it will be mounted over a Bimini. Pretty sure I read somewhere of fires being started by these panels being installed without the vented gap.
    How did you go Dave..all sorted..?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    would be great if you have the time one day to pull her out of the garage and get a reading on the max output at midday.
    First time I actually took any notice while I was charging a 12v Lithium today...Couldnt get full sun because of constant high cloud so it was only reading 230 to 250 watts (290 watt panel)and at 13.8 volts it was producing about 17 amps...

I think the 430w semi flexible E-arc would be a ripper if you had the space to mount it....

So at the moment I dont have a circuit breaker ..I just pull the 2 wires out of the Victron controller to isolate the panel when not in use....

So what would be a adequate circuit breaker and where in the system shouuld it go..?..any ides..?

I think the circuit breaker should go between the solar panel and the MPPT. If there is an issue like a short in the panel I think it would be best to have the breaker cut and save the MPPT.

I think 230-250 watts for a 290watt panel on a cloudy day I think is exceptional. 17amps is enough to keep a fridge running all day and provide enough top up for night time running.

For those mounting them on soft tops. I would seriously consider some sort of fire insulation layer that could be stuck on the back of the panel incase of a short. They can get a nasty hotspot/burn mark when they go and you'd hate to have to replace a canvas or worse have a hot plastic fire overhead.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

From what I understand you put the CB as close to the source of supply as possible.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

I received one of the 430W Sunman panels and the mounting kit a few days ago. As soon as I can get it fitted and working I will report back on how it goes. I have the existing 40A Renogy mppt controller so technically that should be more than required.

How did you go Dave..all sorted..?
    Apart from getting oil, filters and impellers changed, I haven’t done much else to the boat lately. Some minor house rennos have also got in my way. I’ve got four weeks off over Xmas, so hopefully I’ll get a few more boat jobs done then. I am leaning towards the 430 watt panel though but I’m only doing day trips atm, so no need to rush the solar side.