Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Importing tackle in 2022

Re: Importing tackle in 2022

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    have never paid gst on imports but then have never bought a reel in worth more then 1k aud

The other thing to consider is the Aussie importers don’t bring in every model of reel or range of rod line lures or anything else you want to think about
    the jackal wall at sansui tackle shop is amazing in the range we don’t get here
    sometimes you have to import when you can’t buy it here

still savings depending on the item in Asian stores

also daiwai doesn’t bring in their one offs like slp models
    Hi Steve

These days you pay GST on all online purchases - the $1000 limit went out the window 4 years ago .

Yep we dont see everything that is available - The JDM range for instance is quite significant

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

May this year no gst from Asian portal

I’ll have to look it up but im pretty sure the Asian shops arnt applying it like the yank ones

Order Date: 10/05/2022 Monday

Ammount / Product
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product Nameaiwa 21 Zillion SV TW 1000H (Right handle)
    Item #:4550133072550
    Item unit price:32,956Yen
    Order Quantity:1

----
    Subtotal:32,956Yen
    Shipping:0Yen
    Insurance:0Yen
    Handling Fee:450Yen
    Total:33,406Yen

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Its becoming normal now you no longer save on importing from the US, The cost of items in the US is now being priced the same as AUD so there are no savings the only savings u can get from the USA are when the product is on a special sale or new old stock or possibly discontinued products
    Looking at those US prices recently ..... it certainly looked that way

Yeh agreed - when something goes on special then it can be still worth buying

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

May this year no gst from Asian portal

I’ll have to look it up but im pretty sure the Asian shops arnt applying it like the yank ones

Order Date: 10/05/2022 Monday

Ammount / Product
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product Nameaiwa 21 Zillion SV TW 1000H (Right handle)
    Item #:4550133072550
    Item unit price:32,956Yen
    Order Quantity:1

----
    Subtotal:32,956Yen
    Shipping:0Yen
    Insurance:0Yen
    Handling Fee:450Yen
    Total:33,406Yen
    If you bought from a very small seller - you may not pay GST - but in general you will

Here is the link which outlines the GST situation .

Australian consumers importing goods and services | Australian Taxation Office (ato.gov.au)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ok thanks

Asian portal would sell more reels then every tackle shop in Australia combined
    plat Digitaka Asian portal all don’t charge gst it seems

Ok thanks

Asian portal would sell more reels then every tackle shop in Australia combined
    plat Digitaka Asian portal all don’t charge gst it seems
    No they don't charge any import duty or GST, they specifically specify that it is up to the customer to arrange this themselves with customs, an honesty box system.

The good old days are gone when i was getting fly tieing gear from the USA those good guys would write samples on the box even though there was no tax they though there was,but the dollor exchange is the killer these day's now the JDM gear is sometimes dearer to bring in than it is to buy here even on fleabay when they add the gst its dearer.

Yeh Chris ..... it seems to be the case these days ...... hence why I put up this post .

I just didn't realise how much things had changed for the worst .

Talking fishing reels here - Unless you are buying a clearout reel there isn't the value any more

My go to US store was Tackleware house .com & did a quick comparison to MO here

Baitcasters

I've converted to AUD but there is no GST or freight added

Zillion TWHD $579 Vs $589 MO , Zillion SV TWG $507 Vs $500 MO , Tatula SV TW $289 Vs $299 MO

Oh & a quick check of Japan tackle . com the Zillion TWHD was A$562 .... just $17-$27 lower - Then add GST & freight .

I'd be interested what others could find from legit overseas retailers ..... comparisons

Chris

PS - That exercise was a real surprise (pun intended) . Is this a case of the tackle manufacturer (Daiwa) standardised pricing around the world ?
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yer when looking at JDM reels on fleabay they were way dearer than here,the yanks talk about the tatula and shimano DX150 as a just over a $100 buck reel over there but not the case here as you say run out reels are the best buy these days,my certate hyper custom was $830 here but a JDM reel from Japan delivered for $640.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Yer when looking at JDM reels on fleabay they were way dearer than here,the yanks talk about the tatula and shimano DX150 as a just over a $100 buck reel over there but not the case here as you say run out reels are the best buy these days,my certate hyper custom was $830 here but a JDM reel from Japan delivered for $640.
    The Tatula was never released as a $100 reel - it was meant as a lower mid price baitcaster sub US $200 . ..... eventually expanding with more refined US$250 ish reels .

It's a bloody good range of reels though if you were a US bass angler

Americans seem to focus a lot more on price ........ US $300 & you are out there

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Looking at those US prices recently ..... it certainly looked that way

Yeh agreed - when something goes on special then it can be still worth buying

Chris
    The US price is around about that of AUD but shipping is hefty

I have been buying from the USA for 20 years and i have noticed its the US cost has risen in line with the AUD not the otherway around, even the price from Japan has risen

We can still pick up great deals from the UK tho