Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bit the bullet...... hard

Re: Bit the bullet...... hard

Quote Originally Posted by steve099 View Post
    So the Exist 5000 compares to a Stella 4000FJ ?
    Stella 5000 FK would be the nearest match from Shimano .....

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    I sold my 2008 Stella 5000SW. Still my biggest fishing tackle regret
    IMO - that silver & gold Stella was the best of the Stella's ..... Once they went black no where near as good .... plenty of failures

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Bit the bullet...... hard (Daiwa Exist 5000)

So I just had the opportunity to give the new Exist 5000 a good run at Kinchant on some barra & I have to say ........ WOW !!!!

Not only was it a pleasure to use - extremely light when matched to the Millerod Beast buster LM but easily handled those 80-90cm barra .

I only used this outfit to fish 6" hollowbellies on 1/4 jig heads & the odd frog in the lilies - which it did with aplomb for such a light lure .

The absolute standout was no issues with wind knots - none , nada , zip ...... something the has been unavoidable in the past - even with reels like Certates - so that was refreshing. My deckie battled a few during the trip on his Sustain 5000 & an ATC Valiant SW5000 ..

My only disappointment was that I didn't have a second one

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris, There is probably nothing wrong with your deckies reels as there is a whole range of dynamics involved from how the line comes off the reel, the closeness of the reel body to the rod, the size and shape of the spool, the suppleness of the braid and the size and placement of the first runner.

I have one outfit that casts out of this world with a stiffer braid as the supple ones I initially put on it just gave me grief. The same braid on another similar spinning outfit wasn't an issue what so ever but the reel body was further out from the rod. Just saying that changing one item can fix things but knowing what the cause was rather than the symptoms is required to solve the problem. It took me a while to work out the reel body position relative to the rod was the cause but once I worked that out then I realised I needed a stiffer braid so that it came off the reel in a narrower loops, your mate could be suffering a similar problem.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Just on wind knots, when i started using braid wind knots nearly drove me mad, i thought it was almost impossible to use and not lose line every trip, i solved this by running the braid between the first 2 fingers on hand holding the rod, just to put a little constant pressure on the braid, this completely solves the issue and i never get wind knots, easy to do and do all day constant casting with 2-4kg rod using 4kg braid.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Chris, There is probably nothing wrong with your deckies reels as there is a whole range of dynamics involved from how the line comes off the reel, the closeness of the reel body to the rod, the size and shape of the spool, the suppleness of the braid and the size and placement of the first runner.

I have one outfit that casts out of this world with a stiffer braid as the supple ones I initially put on it just gave me grief. The same braid on another similar spinning outfit wasn't an issue what so ever but the reel body was further out from the rod. Just saying that changing one item can fix things but knowing what the cause was rather than the symptoms is required to solve the problem. It took me a while to work out the reel body position relative to the rod was the cause but once I worked that out then I realised I needed a stiffer braid so that it came off the reel in a narrower loops, your mate could be suffering a similar problem.
    Agree with everything you said

Need to add lure weight - lighter the worst it becomes

However one thing that is absolutely critical is how a reel lays the line on the spool ...... the latest Exist (& Stella FK) do this better than previous models - & it shows in the Exist even throwing quite light lures & in windy conditions .

This reel did it better than any spin reel I have owned & I was using a fine braid (Varivas Avani Pe2 - 33lb)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO