Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bit the bullet...... hard

Re: Bit the bullet...... hard

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Thanks for that Chris. Please give us an update if you have any issues.

for a reel that expensive, I wish they would give a spare spool. With so much refinement in the reel and carbon rods now days having beautiful light tips but plenty of grunt in the lower sections, you could be using the same real with sub 10lb braid for whiting and bream and bass. Then with a spool change to stronger braid be straight into Barra, Jew and Spannish spinning. What’s a new spool worth $300? That then gets very expensive for one reel.

I know they want you to buy a 2500 and a 5000 but I just wonder how many extra sales they’d get as people convince themselves they’re killing two birds with one stone that way.
    Many years ago Daiwa went down a different pathway to Shimano

- Daiwa wanted to sell higher value reels targeting the higher end of the market .... even going so far as having a "tournament dealer " network . They didn't focus on mass produced reels sold to the chain stores . They developed better Japanese made reels & more of them ...... Luvias , Certate , Morethan Branzino , Exist & Saltiga where overtime the technology was shared with some of the cheaper reels . What was in the Saltiga - eventually ended up in the Certate .

Shimano wanted to sell to the masses ..... & their reel development showed that .. Stella ,& Twinpower ..... drop away to their Chinese mass produced reels ..... Alloy gave way to polymer .

Today if you go to the Chain stores you'll see 2 or 3 times Shimano's stocked to Daiwas

Daiwa even went has far as introducing technology (Mag seal) which ensures reels need to be serviced by Daiwa ..... $$$

My point is - Daiwa can sell a reel like the Exist nearly as fast as they can make them ........ Already certain models are harder to get here in Oz & In the US you wont get them for a couple of weeks yet .

Back to your point though ...... Daiwa aren't pressing to sell these reels to the average fishoe & that's why you dont see them for sale in BCF or Anaconda - these reels are rarely discounted because they are so desirable ...... & if you want that spare spool ..... someone will pay that $250 for it .

You are right - I just spooled this reel with PE2 .... which is 33 lb (Varivas Avani) - this reel would work with a PE1 or a PE2.5

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

423 grams for a impoundment barra / soft plastics snapper outfit ....... that's just amazing you could put together a 30lb outfit that is so light

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    423 grams for a impoundment barra / soft plastics snapper outfit ....... that's just amazing you could put together a 30lb outfit that is so light

Chris
    A gym membership is probably cheaper though Chris...

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    A gym membership is probably cheaper though Chris...

...... $520 / year for Gym membership ....... reel is cheaper overall.

Seriously though ...... getting a barra bite on this type of gear will be so good ...... bring it on

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

"that's why you dont see them for sale in BCF or Anaconda" - I had a spare moment when the boss needed to get something at Woolies, Rothwell and so popped into BCF there and they had a rather large range of Daiwa reels, more so than Penn and equal to Shimano. A bit different to my local BCF and only a short way down the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    "that's why you dont see them for sale in BCF or Anaconda" - I had a spare moment when the boss needed to get something at Woolies, Rothwell and so popped into BCF there and they had a rather large range of Daiwa reels, more so than Penn and equal to Shimano. A bit different to my local BCF and only a short way down the coast.
    what models though ?

Sub $500 reels I'm guessing

I've been through a heap of BCF stores (every one in greater Sydney) & the best you could hope for was a Saltist or Revalry ....... but you could buy a Shimano twin power or Stella

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Tackle tour just did their review on the Daiwa Exist

It seems that they are impressed - admittedly they were testing one of the smaller reels

worth a read

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaexist22ltpg3.html

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

what models though ?

Sub $500 reels I'm guessing

I've been through a heap of BCF stores (every one in greater Sydney) & the best you could hope for was a Saltist or Revalry ....... but you could buy a Shimano twin power or Stella

Chris
    Didn't have time to explore but that's when I struggled when it came to so called sizing, the BG series was huge compared to some of their other styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Didn't have time to explore but that's when I struggled when it came to so called sizing, the BG series was huge compared to some of their other styles.
    Yeh , I'm struggling with reel sizing ...... be it Daiwa , Shimano , Penn etc

I mean this 5000 Exist is smaller in physical size than my old 3500 Certate & much smaller than my 2018 4000HD Certate . The Exist in reality is probably the size of an old 3000. A 5000 Stella is bigger .

The closest thing in the new Penn was a 3000 (based on line capacity)

It makes my head spin

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Do you think the exist does everything the 5000 Stella does? I use my 5000 Stella more than every other reel I own. When I don’t want to take too many rods it gets used for everything from whiting to spinning at mackerel.

this could be on my list for my next purchase.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Do you think the exist does everything the 5000 Stella does? I use my 5000 Stella more than every other reel I own. When I don’t want to take too many rods it gets used for everything from whiting to spinning at mackerel.

I honestly don't think they are two reels that you can compare side by side (Exist Vs Stella SW)

A Stella SW should be compared to a Saltiga BJ - As they both have similar specifications .

The 5000 Exist sits on another pedestal ....... It's a finesse reel that comes in at half the weight of your Stella 5000SW The Stella is a much bigger reel .

Just like the Saltiga BJ the Stella SW is a high end work horse reel ..... We'd be comparing stock horses to a thoroughbred racehorse.

No I wouldn't consider the Exist as a better alternative to the Stella SW ....... horses for courses - The Exist is a reel that you want to use for flicking plastics around where you want to feel every nudge & bump ...... like when slow rollin placcies for barra where the bites can be so subtle . In that scenario the Exist will be unbeatable (why I bought it). Ditto for soft plastics fishing for snapper in shallow water.

If you want a really nice reel that can cover all bases ..... your Stella SW will do that - I dont think you would have that with the Exist . When I go & fish reef flats casting swimbaits , glide baits etc I wont be using the Exist ...... I'll be using my Saltiga 4500 .

As I said the Exist is a finesse reel .....

Chris

PS - to get the best out of the Exist - you'd really need to match it with an appropriate rod
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey mate

I suggest that you go to your good tackle store & compare the reels ....... you'll see what I mean & gain that appreciation for a direct comparison

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey mate,

your Stella 5000SW will do everything and more than the latest Exists…. Finesse and workhorse should not be in the same category.

I’m a Daiwa fan but the 5000SW is in my opinion, is the best “one” reel to suit a shit load of applications when limited in what you can take on a trip in the salt.

I’m still biased that the Daiwa Certate 3500HD did it all….

All in my humble opinion.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Hey mate,

your Stella 5000SW will do everything and more than the latest Exists…. Finesse and workhorse should not be in the same category.

I’m a Daiwa fan but the 5000SW is in my opinion, is the best “one” reel to suit a shit load of applications when limited in what you can take on a trip in the salt.

I’m still biased that the Daiwa Certate 3500HD did it all….

All in my humble opinion.
    I sold my 2008 Stella 5000SW. Still my biggest fishing tackle regret

I honestly don't think they are two reels that you can compare side by side (Exist Vs Stella SW)

A Stella SW should be compared to a Saltiga BJ - As they both have similar specifications .

The 5000 Exist sits on another pedestal ....... It's a finesse reel that comes in at half the weight of your Stella 5000SW The Stella is a much bigger reel .

Just like the Saltiga BJ the Stella SW is a high end work horse reel ..... We'd be comparing stock horses to a thoroughbred racehorse.

No I wouldn't consider the Exist as a better alternative to the Stella SW ....... horses for courses - The Exist is a reel that you want to use for flicking plastics around where you want to feel every nudge & bump ...... like when slow rollin placcies for barra where the bites can be so subtle . In that scenario the Exist will be unbeatable (why I bought it). Ditto for soft plastics fishing for snapper in shallow water.

If you want a really nice reel that can cover all bases ..... your Stella SW will do that - I dont think you would have that with the Exist . When I go & fish reef flats casting swimbaits , glide baits etc I wont be using the Exist ...... I'll be using my Saltiga 4500 .

As I said the Exist is a finesse reel .....

Chris

PS - to get the best out of the Exist - you'd really need to match it with an appropriate rod
    So the Exist 5000 compares to a Stella 4000FJ ?