Thread: Penn stepping it up

Penn stepping it up

Hi All

I just spotted this new offering from Penn

http://pennfishing.com.au/penn-autho...NkY_zk94XW30iM

Looks like they are trying to take on the likes of the Daiwa Certate & pressing the Shimano Stella - ( with a significant price advantage)

Certainly an improvement on the Penn aesthetics but would you pay $700 for one ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Penn stepping it up

Bearing count means nothing if there cheap ones but I like the stainless pinion gear, a charter boat would prove them worthy or not or a couple of long tail tuna or a 20 kg Spanish mackerel or some monster GTs.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Bearing count means nothing if there cheap ones but I like the stainless pinion gear, a charter boat would prove them worthy or not or a couple of long tail tuna or a 20 kg Spanish mackerel or some monster GTs.
    They do state "premium" sealed stainless steel bearings .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

Chris
    And the spool is also sealed and yes if I was upgrading I would pay $700 as I have the Slammer III & IV and imho the one thing they have over the Shimano stable is the drags.

Looking forward to a review.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    And the spool is also sealed and yes if I was upgrading I would pay $700 as I have the Slammer III & IV and imho the one thing they have over the Shimano stable is the drags.
    For the same price as a Daiwa Certate SW ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

For the same price as a Daiwa Certate SW ?

Chris
    Never owned one or know anyone who has to try one so who knows. Not upgrading as my current rods and reels are sufficient for my fishing.

Edit: just checked the prices out and the equivalent in the Daiwa is around $100 more. Why aren't the sizes standard in reels across brands, there seems to be a huge range of difference in the numbering of them a 5500 in one reel brand is equivalent to a 4000 in another yet equal to an 8000 in another brand.

I’d be worried it’s just a pimped up slammer. I’d want to wait for 12 months at least to get feedback from someone who has used it for 12 months before I shelled out the same amount of money as for the cost of a certate sw. With a certate I’d know exactly what I’m getting.

Never owned one or know anyone who has to try one so who knows. Not upgrading as my current rods and reels are sufficient for my fishing.

Edit: just checked the prices out and the equivalent in the Daiwa is around $100 more. Why aren't the sizes standard in reels across brands, there seems to be a huge range of difference in the numbering of them a 5500 in one reel brand is equivalent to a 4000 in another yet equal to an 8000 in another brand.
    $70 difference at the top end - $50 in a 30lb type reel

More bearing in the Penn

Would you roll the dice considering Penn has never been known as a manufacturer of precision reels - Daiwa are

To me ..... $50-70 is not worth it - Sub $500 id have a look

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris

Yes i saw that they said premium bearings but i was suspious that they did say that , when other companies dont realy metion that , they just use good bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Yes i saw that they said premium bearings but i was suspious that they did say that , when other companies dont realy metion that , they just use good bearings.
    When you hover over the schematic - it comes up as sealed bearings ...... so that's pretty good .

so you have a sealed reel with sealed bearings & stainless gears ....... that's certainly a big step up for Penn

I'm not saying I'd buy one .... but will take a look when the opportunity arises

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Rod of RoKKiT KiT unboxed the Penn Authority 3500, 5500 and 8500HS recently (sponsored content). Not much detail in his review other than look, feel and sound but expect further feedback from him in coming months. He's fairly hard on his gear.

I had a good look at these yesterday & compared them side by side with the Daiwa Certate LT Ark & Certate SW ....... I'm looking to buy a new spin reel for my next NQ trip

My initial impression when you pick them up - is that these are solid reels that look like an improvement over the Slammer - Aesthetically . They are a heavy reel which you really notice when you pick up either of the Daiwas alongside . Once on a rod ... very noticeable & if I was casting lures all day - I'd want the Daiwas .

I dont know what it is about Penn ...... but like every one I've picked up - you turn the handle & it feels heavy ...... not buttery smooth at all like the Daiwas - so it's never going to be a finesse reel (Keeping in mind that I only had interest in a 4000/5000 new Daiwa sizing )

What was impressive was the range ...... from very small 2500s for your flatty fishing through to monster 10500 which weighed well over 1kg ...... The reels are all bigger than their counterparts from Daiwa & inline with that Shimano Sargossa bulkiness ........ There is nothing finesse about these reels .

All that said - If I was living up north & fishing the reefs , I would probably buy a couple ........ you wont break them & with that big drag capacity you could drop down 1 or 2 sizes & take on all comers ....... These are a reel that have the toughness of a Daiwa Saltiga ( they have that feel about them) but come in at a pricepoint of lower than a Daiwa Certate SW . I wouldn't compare a Certate of any description to the Authority - I think the Penn has it's niche & a much tougher reel than any Certate . A charter boat loaded with them would be an excellent fit .

So my take on them is If you were looking for a tough as nuts reel that will last but dont want to spend double the money on a Saltiga or Stella ...... this could be a reel to buy ...... & with that range , you'd cover everything from bread & butter (over kill) ... snapper , mackerel & make an excellent reel for big reds & other reefies that you get up north .

Certainly a reel to check out

OH btw , I checked out the latest Daiwa Exist & Shimano Stella FX .........

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

A 2500 for flatties? I only use a 1000. Same for reef fishing, where once used heavy reals I'm down to 5500's.

A 2500 for flatties? I only use a 1000. Same for reef fishing, where once used heavy reals I'm down to 5500's.
    Yeh - depends on the rod you use - 2500 for larger flathead on a double handed spin rod .

A 1000 size reel would look out of place on a 7ft long gripped rod

beside .... It's the smallest reel in the range - hence why I said overkill

140 yds of 10lb mono

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO