Thread: Simrad subscription question

Simrad subscription question

Can anyone share any feedback with me on the accuracy of the weather/conditions data the simrad app subscription delivers?

Where do they get the weather/conditions forecast data from? is that source considered accurate and reliable ?

The reason driving my questions i want to know if i can i depend on it for my own safety?

thanks

Re: Simrad subscription question

112 views and no one has any feedback on where simrad gets these live data feeds from ?

I have tried looking online, will flick them an email then and ask direct. thanks for looking.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I don't use Simrad, but you can get the Windy app on Lighthouse now, for Raymarine, which gives you exactly the same as the mobile app, as long as you have a connection. I know that is of no direct use to you, but these apps all use established models for weather forecasting.Simrad is likely no different--they would just be using the same information sources as everyone else, so take your pick of what source you use.

To expand on this a bit, there are various models used, and your local accuracy can depend on what model you choose to use, if it gives you a choice, or you are using whatever the app is limited to. Windy, for example, has a choice of 4 different models, and I have settled on the ECMWF modelling. This is a very accurate model produced by the European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasts. This is a commercial model, needs paying for to be used, so very few apps offer it. If anyone says "it's European, what would they know about our weather", I would suggest that they remove their head from their rectum, frankly. It is incredibly accurate right down to some extremely localised phenomena which I have observed over many years, and never had an explanation for before I started using this app. The beauty of it is how they animate the forecasting, making it so easy to interpret.
    The sort of information you get from the general weather forecasting on the radio or TV is just the most generalised information available--commercial and industry users have access to far more detailed forecasting. Pay for Play, usually.

Ausfish Silver Member

Ausfish Silver Member

maybe should explain. On the above link scroll to you position and click mouse on any area it will show position and current wind conditions.
    Zoom out for the bigger picture. Its free and pretty dam close. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    I don't use Simrad, but you can get the Windy app on Lighthouse now, for Raymarine, which gives you exactly the same as the mobile app, as long as you have a connection. I know that is of no direct use to you, but these apps all use established models for weather forecasting.Simrad is likely no different--they would just be using the same information sources as everyone else, so take your pick of what source you use.

To expand on this a bit, there are various models used, and your local accuracy can depend on what model you choose to use, if it gives you a choice, or you are using whatever the app is limited to. Windy, for example, has a choice of 4 different models, and I have settled on the ECMWF modelling. This is a very accurate model produced by the European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasts. This is a commercial model, needs paying for to be used, so very few apps offer it. If anyone says "it's European, what would they know about our weather", I would suggest that they remove their head from their rectum, frankly. It is incredibly accurate right down to some extremely localised phenomena which I have observed over many years, and never had an explanation for before I started using this app. The beauty of it is how they animate the forecasting, making it so easy to interpret.
    The sort of information you get from the general weather forecasting on the radio or TV is just the most generalised information available--commercial and industry users have access to far more detailed forecasting. Pay for Play, usually.
    Thank you for the detailed reply. I logged a request with simrad support asking them what source ( model?) they use in their pay to play app. Support didnt know and is finding out for me, which i will share back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    maybe should explain. On the above link scroll to you position and click mouse on any area it will show position and current wind conditions.
    Zoom out for the bigger picture. Its free and pretty dam close. cheers.
    thanks for sharing, i will check it out. I only have a small boat so I do not want to sneak out of the heads and run into trouble. This is why I am asking about this topic. I am new to boating but not to the water and want to enjoy my time in my boat as safe as I am able to. I do not plan go go out very far ( 0r even often) nor do I plan to hit the river in bad weather but we all know the weather can change quickly. that said I am hanging out for the warmer weather when I can try my hand at jigging which may force me to venture out a little deeper.

Ausfish Silver Member

Steve. what area do you fish in. Maybe someone on here in the same area who could give some clues about the place. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by steve099 View Post
    thanks for sharing, i will check it out. I only have a small boat so I do not want to sneak out of the heads and run into trouble. This is why I am asking about this topic. I am new to boating but not to the water and want to enjoy my time in my boat as safe as I am able to. I do not plan go go out very far ( 0r even often) nor do I plan to hit the river in bad weather but we all know the weather can change quickly. that said I am hanging out for the warmer weather when I can try my hand at jigging which may force me to venture out a little deeper.
    Steve, try Windy.com as it gives good predictions and you are able to enter specific coordinates and it will give you wave height etc. I look at it if I know I'm heading at in a few days time, generally if the weather patterns are stable over those intervening days then you can basically say what you see is what you will get however if I look at Saturday and it is great fishing weather but come on Thursday when I look it has moved to Sunday and the next day it has moved again, then you can almost guarantee the pattern you originally banked on will continue to change and could be worse or better than predicted.

Timezero gear and subscriptions is what I'd be looking at for offshore
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Timezero gear and subscriptions is what I'd be looking at for offshore
    Interesting software, from a quick perusal do I need a laptop as well on my boat, I currently don't have a lot of room for what I have, also it appears to be only Furuno compatible ATM or have I misread their spiel.

After a few exchanges with Simrad I got the following answer as their data source

Global Forecast System (GFS) provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Interesting software, from a quick perusal do I need a laptop as well on my boat, I currently don't have a lot of room for what I have, also it appears to be only Furuno compatible ATM or have I misread their spiel.
    From what I have seen the pros run laptops and multiple screens on the bigger boats. You can run a subscription on anything down to a phone though. No idea about furuno screens mate sorry.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

All these subscription services are great - just as long as you have phone signal & Wifi

If that's what you want - then run an IPad with a sim card

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO