Thread: Qld Spanish Mackerel

Qld Spanish Mackerel

The next and final round of consultation has opened for the Queensland east coast Spanish mackerel fishery.

Submit your feedback on management measures to rebuild this important fishery at https://daf.engagementhub.com.au/spanish-mackerel-2022

Submissions close 5 August 2022.

" this fishery is on the brink or a 1 or 2 year closure ".... please have a say

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Qld Spanish Mackerel

They seem to be coming up with some fanciful options...

spanish options.jpg

The reviewer really seemed to smash the stock assessment findings. I note that rec data is still assumed by boat registrations. Ridiculous.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Option 1 seems a bit silly to have a 9 day break then start again that just adds confusion a start finish would be smarter and Option 2 is even more sillyer with a stop start stop start stop start,and the southen closure time would be good as it corresponds with the chance of getting a mackerel with ciguatera.

Some interesting data interpretations with this study.
    Just ask any commercial Spanish mackerel fisherman why it’s harder to put Spanish in the boat.
    My money is on their common answer will simply be - sharks and weather.
    IMO , The data should be gathered from people that know how to catch Spanish not one’s that wish they could catch one.
    Surely it should be back to the drawing board with this study.
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

I just spent a few days at Cape Upstart. Trolled wolfies for around 7 hours in total for three around the 20kg mark. I reckon a two fish per person limit would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
    Some interesting data interpretations with this study.
    Just ask any commercial Spanish mackerel fisherman why it’s harder to put Spanish in the boat.
    My money is on their common answer will simply be - sharks and weather.
    IMO , The data should be gathered from people that know how to catch Spanish not one’s that wish they could catch one.
    Surely it should be back to the drawing board with this study.
    Yes many years ago some marine biologist said the was only 250,000 trout on the reefs until some one alerted him to to fact that he did his research in the wrong time of the year when they move off the reef and there the university educated so who can you trust to get the right info.