Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reels on a budget (<$400)

Re: Reels on a budget (<$400)

Couple here wiith that Quantam mentioned above ..
    DSC_0010.jpgDSC_0218.jpg
    How does one rotate these Pics ??.
    Now both these Fish werent caught all that long ago either as they were caught when i had the Quinny Fishraider prior to the Seajay..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Couple here wiith that Quantam mentioned above ..
    DSC_0010.jpgDSC_0218.jpg
    How does one rotate these Pics ??.
    Now both these Fish werent caught all that long ago either as they were caught when i had the Quinny Fishraider prior to the Seajay..
    Nice jewies Vol im yet to get one over 30cm lol

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Nice jewies Vol im yet to get one over 30cm lol
    Yes gazz , though dont chase them much nowdays due to the size limits imposed.. They are here normally all year round somewhere or other but mostly these two months.. Used to come in the Harbour in Shoals and werent really hard to find or catch but since the Swim Bladder debacle bringing in Heaps of $$ just for the bladder and not much for their flesh the schools have been reduced somewhat ..
    Those bigger ones were kept mostly due to their sabillity to survive after being caught so kept them for Fish Resoles..
    The taste is in fish 75cm and under whereas the keep limit is 75cm and over and start getting a tad chewie over that mark.
    Mindyou if they are on its hard to drop a bait and select what size you want lol so better off not chasing them much n leave em be to acumillate (Hopefully )..
    Have caught them mouth of the Fitzroy aso whereas they are nearly pure Goldy Colour ?? , and feel ashame keeping them when they look like that ey..Although Yes they can certainly let you know if your Rod n reel purchase was woorthy of the dollars spent lol..

Just got a Tatula 150H for $265 so we will see how it goes 6kg drag they say and the T wing thing i should hold 175 yards of 50lb braid and 100mm handle.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Just got a Tatula 150H for $265 so we will see how it goes 6kg drag they say and the T wing thing i should hold 175 yards of 50lb braid and 100mm handle.

good reels for the price

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

How many here buy a reel based on how it looks ?

We can be honest here .

I can tell you now that I wont buy a reel if it doesn't look like it can do the job ...... cheap looking blingy reels ( you know the type - lots of chrome / gold accents) .
    To me a reel has to feel that it belongs on the rod , has to feel & looks right as part of the outfit .

Speaking of aesthetics ....
    One reel I'm never likely to own is a Saragossa ..... An ugly reel that looks oversized on pretty well any rod other than a broomstick - & I dont own broomstick rods. ..... yeh shove one on a 50lb Terez & it's probably a good fit. ...... sorry to you gossa fans

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

We can be honest here .

I can tell you now that I wont buy a reel if it doesn't look like it can do the job ...... cheap looking blingy reels ( you know the type - lots of chrome / gold accents) .
    To me a reel has to feel that it belongs on the rod , has to feel & looks right as part of the outfit .

One reel I'm never likely to own is a Saragossa ..... An ugly reel that looks oversized on pretty well any rod other than a broomstick - & I dont own broomstick rods. ..... yeh shove one on a 50lb Terez & it's probably a good fit. ...... sorry to you gossa fans

Chris
    I have to agree, just the look of the Sara is so agricultural. I just bought a Fin Nor Lethal 20 Overhead reel as the Tyrnos 16 I have has given me more trouble than it's worth, changed bearings and had it serviced too many times, makes a grinding noise yet 2 reel mechanics can't find out what's wrong with it, I suspect some wear but mostly a shim missing somewhere (Shimanos parts diagrams often do not show multiple shims). The Fin Nor is over 200 gms lighter but holds the same amount of line as the tyrnos16 yet has more drag. Now all I've got to do is to put some hurt on it.

We can be honest here .

My Penn Slammer is feeling a bit picked on by these comments

Chris
    A 'gossa was the other option when I bought my now shamed Slammer. They are both a suitable entry point for a particular style of fishing. In my case casting large top water lures for things with big teeth. Sure there are better options but price point counts when it isn't something you do every time you fish.

Matt

Agree with the Saragossa comment that for the dollars it performs ok and I don’t find it that big.
    I have one on a pe 3 explorer black hole and doesn’t feel big

sure a high end daiwai 300 would be smaller at 2-3 times the price

I’m a daiwa tragic shimanos bailarms just look shit in similar spec reels

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    My Penn Slammer is feeling a bit picked on by these comments

A 'gossa was the other option when I bought my now shamed Slammer. They are both a suitable entry point for a particular style of fishing. In my case casting large top water lures for things with big teeth. Sure there are better options but price point counts when it isn't something you do every time you fish.

Matt
    I have to say ..... if I'm going to spend near to $400 on a reel ...... then I'm probably going to give the credit card a bit more of a work out & buy a Daiwa Certate . But hey not everyone can spend $700 - $800 on a reel .

Back to the gosa & slammer - if on a budget ....... My pick would be the new slammer - I think it's better proportioned than the gosa ....... both will last & both will do the job .

Now while it doesn't have the drag capacity of the gosa or slammer ...... I'd be happy to use the Thunnus against them at a similar price point - not sure if the Thunnus is a bit more of light weight weight ..... but I reckon it would do the job & has the added benefit of the baitrunner feature . What a looker

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have to say ..... if I'm going to spend near to $400 on a reel ...... then I'm probably going to give the credit card a bit more of a work out & buy a Daiwa Certate . But hey not everyone can spend $700 - $800 on a reel .

Back to the gosa & slammer - if on a budget ....... My pick would be the new slammer - I think it's better proportioned than the gosa ....... both will last & both will do the job .

Now while it doesn't have the drag capacity of the gosa or slammer ...... I'd be happy to use the Thunnus against them at a similar price point - not sure if the Thunnus is a bit more of light weight weight ..... but I reckon it would do the job & has the added benefit of the baitrunner feature . What a looker

Chris
    Your ability to stretch a budget may only be exceeded by you love of a bait runner it seems

I think if I was to pick a reel on looks. I’d go for the Accurate Twinspin. In the elite price range though. Just looks like a no nonsense, all balls reel that will handle anything. I’d have to try one out before spending that sort of coin though.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Your ability to stretch a budget may only be exceeded by you love of a bait runner it seems

not just any baitrunner though ....... I'm faithful to the Thunnus only

Been thinking about a 12000 ....... nah no need at this stage .

Actually my fondness of reels like the Certates & Saltigas is that they pack a big punch for the size of the reel - 5000 Certate SW will put out 15kgs of drag while a 6000 Saragosa puts out about 10kg & even a 14000 is still only putting out 15kg . Most times I dont need huge line capacity .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I think if I was to pick a reel on looks. I’d go for the Accurate Twinspin. In the elite price range though. Just looks like a no nonsense, all balls reel that will handle anything. I’d have to try one out before spending that sort of coin though.
    Dont waste your money ....... As I found out. - build quality , tolerances & notorious for having issues with the drag
    (could never overcome a lumpy drag)

My reel was replaced & the replacement wasn't much better .

Lots of bearings but it isn't that smooth a reel .

The reality is that Americans cant build good spin reels - they come up with quirky designs that don't cut the mustard against the Japanese offerings .

Just MHO

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO