Thread: Individual Fuel Gauge - Volume of Fuel Remaining

Individual Fuel Gauge - Volume of Fuel Remaining

What modern gauges exist for a boat fuel tank that work on a fuel sensor to indicate current fuel remaining inside the tank?

Splash

Re: Individual Fuel Gauge - Volume of Fuel Remaining

Most gauges arnt accurate as the tanks are oddly shaped
    but you get a feel for it over time as you use the boat

fuel flow meters are the better option

other thing to consider is some manufactures tank shapes won’t allow you to use every drop in rough weather

arnt you buying a 100 plus k boat ?
    dealer should know some of this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    What modern gauges exist for a boat fuel tank that work on a fuel sensor to indicate current fuel remaining inside the tank?

Splash
    Your boats motor gauges - give you fuel flow & usage ....... you just need to know the tank capacity .

This way you will know pretty well to the liter how much you have . I refill after each trip so I'm never wondering .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thank you gents. Good info.

Splash

Ausfish Platinum Member

Most will allow you to calibrate the tank capacity, to the MFD system, which usually requires starting empty and progressively adding fuel in calibration steps. Or you can rely on a mix of the fuel flow giving you an estimated fuel remaining, and the old-fashioned tank guage, which is all over the place, depending on the boat's movement. My primary use for the old guage is just to get a rough confirmation of fuel remaining--the estimated fuel useage giving fuel remaining isn't worth a damn if someone has siphoned off fuel, for example.

In my new tank I didn't worry about a sender unit I rely on the Yamaha fuel useage gauge. It's pretty accurate, rarely more than a litre out over 100 litres usage. The gauge can be adjusted if usage is greater/lesser than shown and also gives a 10% adjustment from full e.g. if the tank holds 200 litres it shows I have 180 litres available to me holding the rest in reserve.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Ah, yes, but does it cover the scenario of fuel theft, as i mentioned, or errors in manually adding? I had a sender already installed, and they had hooked it up to the Mercury system, but never calibtrated. I was happy with just using the totaliser as an accurate indication of fuel remaining, then I heard of someone doing the same thing who ran out because, it seemed someone had siphoned fuel from him. No way a fuel flow totaliser can account for that. So I added the gauge as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Ah, yes, but does it cover the scenario of fuel theft, as i mentioned, or errors in manually adding? I had a sender already installed, and they had hooked it up to the Mercury system, but never calibtrated. I was happy with just using the totaliser as an accurate indication of fuel remaining, then I heard of someone doing the same thing who ran out because, it seemed someone had siphoned fuel from him. No way a fuel flow totaliser can account for that. So I added the gauge as a backup.
    Haven't had the problem of fuel theft snd generally fill the boat the day before a big trip. Where my boat is stored there are security lights and cameras plus I sleep in the room right next to it and if the light goes off I'm immediately awake. The new neighbours cat might end up as crab bait, meant hope it gets the crabs, if they don't keep it in at night.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I haven't had the problem either, ever, but it can happen, i suppose. The gauges aren't expenisive, if the sender is already installed, some peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    One of the nice advantages of in floor filling ....... you take the cap off , look in ..... yep full !

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, the ultimate fuel gauge, the old eyeball mk 1. Unfortunately, unavailable with the common coaming-mounted fill point. I may go through the calibration process this week--I'm down to under 120 litres in the tank, and have enough in jerrycans to fill it right up, courtesy of our aborted long-range trip, so I can do the whole process without having to tow it to a servo and add a quarter of a tank at a time.