Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Boat ownership cost vs benefit

Re: Boat ownership cost vs benefit

Not that it's a cost thing in the normal sense ..... but if I consider the cost of towing my boat to NQ on a 5000km round trip ..... that will be around $2250 in diesel if prices get to $2.50 / lt

The obvious is don't tow the boat so far But hey NQ is part of the thrill of it .....catching fish that we just don't get in NSW & getting to a place like Lucinda gives you options when the wind blows .

So a yearly trip to NQ is pretty well a given

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Not that it's a cost thing in the normal sense ..... but if I consider the cost of towing my boat to NQ on a 5000km round trip ..... that will be around $2250 in diesel if prices get to $2.50 / lt

The obvious is don't tow the boat so far But hey NQ is part of the thrill of it .....catching fish that we just don't get in NSW & getting to a place like Lucinda gives you options when the wind blows .

So a yearly trip to NQ is pretty well a given

Chris
    I paid $2.50 last week in miriamvale , I believe $3.00 will be the norm soon . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I have nothing against the humble flattie, bream or whiting..its just that up here we dont have the lovely estuaries like down south...

Although the creeks on Hinchinbrook are very picturesque indeed..

But I'm still not fishing in croc and midgie- infested estuaries for anything less then a chance at a nice Barra..
    Mate do us a favour and next time you have time cruising about in your riverways look for deep holes.
    Paternoster rig with Whiting hood setup , peeled Prawn or Yabby , worm and enough weight just to keep your bait withing that hole and see if there arent any Whiting laying up in it ??..
    And at the same time your likely to catch a Barra or two up that way ey, Fingermark, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I paid $2.50 last week in miriamvale , I believe $3.00 will be the norm soon . Matt
    feckin hope note!!!!!

G’Day
    Like a lot of people I work between 60 and 70 hours a week on tower cranes.Would I ever be without a boat, not a hope in hell.In the spirit of full disclosure, my unit would only be valued around the 30 thousand mark.
    I look on my boating as an alternative to paying shit loads of coin to see a shrink.
    Just one day a week on her on the water with the Boss is enough to keep me reasonably sane.
    Shawn

Did a 950km round trip yesterday and notice a lot of the van owners and those mobile kings billboard 4x4s who normally sit up every arse were all driving a lot slower

2.40 a litre has them worried about fuel economy for a change

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    G’Day
    Like a lot of people I work between 60 and 70 hours a week on tower cranes.Would I ever be without a boat, not a hope in hell.In the spirit of full disclosure, my unit would only be valued around the 30 thousand mark.
    I look on my boating as an alternative to paying shit loads of coin to see a shrink.
    Just one day a week on her on the water with the Boss is enough to keep me reasonably sane.
    Shawn
    ...& that is why a discussion about owning a boat is so personal - The currency being compared is different, i.e. - $ vs mental health.
    As a comparison, I wouldn't pay $2 for an NFT of a monkey face, but some people pay millions. I would however pay $100's of thousands for a depreciating (usually!) boat which allows me to sit out on the reef on my own, some would think I was crazy.
    If you know, you know.

Another thing to remember is some hobbies ( like boating and fishing). Give you something to think about and plan even whilst not doing it.

So you may not be actually fishing, but the planning and thinking about furture trips etc is an exercise is solving positive problems.

If you dont have any hobbies and positive problems to solve, then your brain tends to waver towards negativity and boredom. Not a healthy state of being.

Plus, if you dont spend your money on boats and fishing what else are you doing to spend it on?