Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boat ownership cost vs benefit

Boat ownership cost vs benefit

Hey all

I'm pretty sure most boat owners have run the numbers or at least thought about the cost of boat ownership vs the benefit

If you use your boat a lot , live near the water or its not a expensive boat ..... it would be easy to justify .

I'd love to hear how everyone wrestles with these demons

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Boat ownership cost vs benefit

I just installed a second gpsmap 8412, g3 vision card, backbone wiring and another lithium
    $6k exercise or a kilo of flathead fillets from the coop every week for 92 weeks

I don’t use it enough mainly due to the nature of the rivers and dams where without a fishing mate it’s impossible to launch and fish solo.
    I’d go every weekend with a deckie

but blokes need hobbies to sink their focus and spare cash into or they would go mad with boredom
    even not being used there’s something to tinker with

actually going to sell mine in the next week or two just been putting off doing it

I was just having a coffee & planning out my next 18 months of holidays ..... always fishing related & this weird thought came to mind - "what if you sold the boat ?"

Now I've never really thought about it ...... but I'd have to be a candidate considering how I use my boat

* I generally plan two trips a year . Evans Head (10 days) & something north (Whitsundays , Etty Bay , Lucinda - 14 days)
    * If I have a weather window I might go 2 or 3 times a year snapper fishing for a weekend
    That's pretty well it .

In essence my boat is like a caravan .... used to go away for those holidays .
    The Evans Head trip which is a relatively short 8 hr drive / stay in a house & fish pretty close to port (Great trip) ....... any other trip could be organised with a guide Now that opens up destinations that would be of real interest that I'm not likely to tow my boat to . A return trip to Weipa ( being considered for next year) , Darwin , NZ etc ..... A week away which will cost between $3-5K ( split cost with a mate or two)

I guess with increasing interest rates - selling the boat & dumping $70K + into the mortgage ...... combined with not paying the actual costs associated with boat ownership pays for at least 1 trip .

Now if I did go down this path it wouldn't be till the middle of next year (after the Evans Head trip) . Could I get by without having a boat parked under the carport ? ...... the tinkering

Anyhoos ..... I haven't tipped over the edge but when you think about it ..... hmmm

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I’m planning to just get back to basics and using charters
    beaxh fishing again
    wading sand flats

tbh I caught more fish doing that then with the boat

Ausfish Platinum Member

It cannot be a purely financial consideration. If it was, and you were justifying it by fish consumed, you'd be better off buying that fish, as you said. We've proably all worked that out by now. Of course, the actual value of the boat used comes into that. If it's a dinghy you paid $4k for s/h, and can use to catch a feed of flathead, bream, blackfish, whatever, in a nearby estuary, with only 5 litres of fuel used, it more than stacks up when you add the enjoyment factor.

When you start spending more and more, of course, that subsides into irrelevance. It is about the enjoyment, and the feed of fish is a bonus. Everyones' use is different--I know of blokes who have the work arrangements to enable them to get out in their old Swiftcraft Dominator at least once a week, weather permitting, and absolutely slay it on the seafood side--if they can only get out into the Sound, it's a full quota of squid. Or big pinks in open season. Or Mulloway. Go outside, they kill it on the Dhu. Or dive for occies. Then you get the boat that only seems to move a few times a year. That's when you start to question the sense of it.

The analogy of boat to caravan is a good one. Although caravans seem to cost somewhat less to maintain than boats. I may be wrong on this, haven't owned one since the 70's. My boat gets used regularly--start of December through into January, I'm on the water each morning most days, although the actual boat used rotates between mine and a mates'--pulling the craypots and having a fish if conditions and time allow. Daily distances travelled get longer as you get weather windows in late January / February, then you get busy, work permitting, through April-May. Or have a longer trip away in May, we went out to the Montebellos late May, intending to spend 2 weeks, had to run for it after 6 days when an unseasonal low came in. Spent two days on Shark Bay on the way home, which was a bonus. It won't move this month, between work and cleaning out the storage rental shed. But, In July/August, it will spend a solid month in the water up north at our favorite spot, moored out the front of the camp. After that, a few day trips, or maybe living aboard 3-4 days at Shark bay if we get a September weather window. Then back to the odd day trip until we start on pulling pots in December, etc.

I justified the purchase of this boat--" you want to spend HOW much!!!" with the liveaboard for two scenario, and she is happy with it, loves it. It has gotten us to places you just can't comfortably do do, or enjoy properly, in a day trip. There is nothing like waking up in the morning in a good anchorage, no-one else in sight, with a light offshore blowing and the sun just rising. So, with the mix of uses I have, I can fully justify the $100K-plus I spent on this boat new. It was a LOT of money to me, had to sell a lot of stuff and pull out some super ( the moment I turned 65) , and I've never regretted it. You've got to live while you're alive.

In my experience, you sell a boat when you fall out of love with it. Or your needs change. Once you start to simply view it as a cost, it may as well be gone.

We have been through this and are on the verge of making some changes again , we got rid of the boat on a basis of no time to use it while travelling long term and not enough space to have a boat as well safely without more expense so we got rid of the bluefin . For 4 years we’ve been pretty much full time in the van and have relied on charters , land based fishing and a few generous people I have met on the way , due to travelling North Queensland mostly a roof topper wasn’t an option as in my mind I’d need a big tinnie to be safe IMO . Having worked in a North Queensland park I noticed that most people spend a lot of time NOT using the tinnie sand end up being more of a hassle than worth using . Charters have gone up to the point that I went on a charter for 8 hours this week in Airlie and it was an ordinary day to say the least but now it’s $400 which is a bit more than it used to be but everything has gone that way .
    We are heading for home and waying up our options as far as keeping the van and buying another boat or downsizing the house in Brisbane and buying in Hervey Bay and buy another boat and keep the van so as to set ourselves up for our long term future where we want to be . There are some way unique fishing adventures that cost heaps but are out of reach to the average fisherman depending on where you want to take your sport , a few options that I have indulged in is 7 days at Kimberley Coastal Camp (very expensive but as unique as it gets ) Darwin Barra Base for 5 days of Dundee beach Finnis river and off shore guided (outstanding fishing with the right operator) and swains reef trip which was great but more catch and kill to bring home the goods . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    It cannot be a purely financial consideration. If it was, and you were justifying it by fish consumed, you'd be better off buying that fish, as you said. We've proably all worked that out by now. Of course, the actual value of the boat used comes into that. If it's a dinghy you paid $4k for s/h, and can use to catch a feed of flathead, bream, blackfish, whatever, in a nearby estuary, with only 5 litres of fuel used, it more than stacks up when you add the enjoyment factor.

When you start spending more and more, of course, that subsides into irrelevance. It is about the enjoyment, and the feed of fish is a bonus. Everyones' use is different--I know of blokes who have the work arrangements to enable them to get out in their old Swiftcraft Dominator at least once a week, weather permitting, and absolutely slay it on the seafood side--if they can only get out into the Sound, it's a full quota of squid. Or big pinks in open season. Or Mulloway. Go outside, they kill it on the Dhu. Or dive for occies. Then you get the boat that only seems to move a few times a year. That's when you start to question the sense of it.

The analogy of boat to caravan is a good one. Although caravans seem to cost somewhat less to maintain than boats. I may be wrong on this, haven't owned one since the 70's. My boat gets used regularly--start of December through into January, I'm on the water each morning most days, although the actual boat used rotates between mine and a mates'--pulling the craypots and having a fish if conditions and time allow. Daily distances travelled get longer as you get weather windows in late January / February, then you get busy, work permitting, through April-May. Or have a longer trip away in May, we went out to the Montebellos late May, intending to spend 2 weeks, had to run for it after 6 days when an unseasonal low came in. Spent two days on Shark Bay on the way home, which was a bonus. It won't move this month, between work and cleaning out the storage rental shed. But, In July/August, it will spend a solid month in the water up north at our favorite spot, moored out the front of the camp. After that, a few day trips, or maybe living aboard 3-4 days at Shark bay if we get a September weather window. Then back to the odd day trip until we start on pulling pots in December, etc.

I justified the purchase of this boat--" you want to spend HOW much!!!" with the liveaboard for two scenario, and she is happy with it, loves it. It has gotten us to places you just can't comfortably do do, or enjoy properly, in a day trip. There is nothing like waking up in the morning in a good anchorage, no-one else in sight, with a light offshore blowing and the sun just rising. So, with the mix of uses I have, I can fully justify the $100K-plus I spent on this boat new. It was a LOT of money to me, had to sell a lot of stuff and pull out some super ( the moment I turned 65) , and I've never regretted it. You've got to live while you're alive.

In my experience, you sell a boat when you fall out of love with it. Or your needs change. Once you start to simply view it as a cost, it may as well be gone.
    That's a good read & it's your situation that boat ownership ( an expensive boat) makes sense .

I didn't really put this up as a $ / kg thing ...... but hey a lot of fishoes justify their boats by being able to catch fresh fish & this is what it would have cost them to buy . nowadays the cost of fuel can easily be offset by the $/kg of some fish . If you & the family are big fish eaters ..... that can be a lot of money spent or saved .

I have a mate who pretty well fishes every other day ....... retired & is literally is 5 mins to the boat ramp in a fantastic fishing destination ...... he's just upgraded his second boat . He is the kind of bloke that will climb over people to get a line in the water . I don't think I've ever been that keen.

For me it's not been a case of falling out of love of the boat ....... the weather has been frustrating & has prevented me from going away for pretty well every time I've wanted to - with the exception of my Evans Hd trip in April/May.
    I don't see myself using the boat differently or any more as some kind of justification .

Love the boat & love planning trips away ....... but is owning a boat also a burden ? - Holidays are fishing related .... towing a boat somewhere often long distances - but I could fly there be guided - fish the same amount of time & be back home 5 days sooner ....... without the stress of 5 days of towing .

The financial side of things isn't the driver in my case - but value for money is questionable . Would I be happy doing fully guided trips / charters ? I know I love my combined Island camping / fishing trips ...... something you need a boat for .

Ahhh it's so complicated when you dig deep down .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

To be honest, I don't care what it costs me.
    My sole past time is fishing since I was 3 years old, that's not going to change.
    I don't fish offshore anymore and have a relatively new boat that will see out the rest of my years or days, whichever it turns out to be.

Lot's of folk that thrive on the wank factor will endlessly suffer the costs of the desires they buy....good on them though for keeping the economy moving ahead.
    Jack.

I'm a bit like Jack above, totally obsessed with any sort of fishing from the time i could walk and still am today at age 50. Boats became part of the obsession sincei got my first 3.85 tinny when i was 25, 5 boats on the tinny has grown a bit. If i sold my current rig for some reason, say financial harship i'd downsize as a first option rather than going without. Happy place, i never bagged out in the shed but i it doesnt stop me trying of a sunday afternoon. I dont drink much, i dont smoke i dont go on many oversees holidays but i do fish and boat!! Never say never but non boat ownership is not in the plan today.

For me fishing is about the "total hunt" the whole plan and package that ends with boat in right spot and fish on line so therefore the boat etc is just as much a spart as the gear and rods etc. Charters for me are for those spots i will never get my own boat, nomad, something like that. Im headed to 1770 in the morning.

Scott

I’ ve decided to sell the current cat. Bank the cash ready for a custom build next year. New engines alone are pretty pricey and with interest rates about to go through the roof I figure it’s better to sell sooner than later.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I’ve been fishing forever, as did my father and grandparents. Dad got our first boat when I was 9, and I’ve been in boats ever since. Once I started working I bought a 4WD, did Fraser etc, then a car topper and did the cape; 3 times. I bought my first big boat, a 6m Quintrex, at 30, then a fisher, then an origin and now the moored cat. I’ve had tinnies all the way through too. I still love my Fraser trips, though they are family oriented these days and I rent a house rather than camp. I’d hate to think of the boating spend since I turned 18. Probably could’ve bought a couple of investment properties, but I’ll be dead one day.

For me, it is a part of me, an essential part of my life. My wife loves to fish and boat and so do our two young sons. It is important to me that they have the boating life. My latest boat, the cat, actually cost less than the sale price of my origin and f250. Mooring and other costs are up there, but not too bad when I take out the costs associated with owning a dedicated tow car. The cat rego is the same as the old boat and trailer combined, and insurance is about $900 a year more. I decided to take the moored boat plunge now so we can enjoy it with the kids and while I have capacity to fund upgrades etc so it is ready for long range retirement cruising, which is still probably 11 years away. Or that is at least when my youngest finishes school.

The older I get, the more I realise how short life is, and when I’m on my death bed, I hope I’ll still remember the good times that boating has brought me. I sure as hell won’t be worried about my bank balance at that point!

I find it interesting to read about others motivations for boat ownership - how they see things appreciate your sharing .

I've owned a boat for most of the last 29 years with just a little period without out one ...... but one thing is clear to me - I enjoy my fishing but I'm not obsessed with it & I'm getting lazier when it comes to boating. If I cant get a weekend out of a trip .... I don't go .

The analogy of my boat being like a caravan is a pretty good one . I'm around 1 hr away from putting the boat on the water ( Hawkesbury River) but I haven't had my Barcrusher on it .... or any local waters . The closest I've launched to home is Jervis Bay or Port Stephens (2.5hrs away) ..... that's in 4 1/2 years . since I returned to Sydney nearly 8 years ago - I can count my local trips on one hand . That even shocks me. By comparison I've probably spent close to 50 days at Evans Head (800km away) & 25 days in NQ in the last 5 years ....... get the picture ? The obvious is that I should be living in Brisbane - Unfortunately work (& family) is here in Sydney at this point of time .
    So yeh - my boat is my caravan .

Right now - I'm preparing for a trip to Etty bay (Innisfail) in Oct & Evans Hd 2023 has already been booked ..... so another couple of big trips . I'll review my needs after that .

Do I ever see myself not having a boat .......

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Just with regards to guided trips - You can go to some pretty hot destinations with a mate & it will cost you about $500 / day .

Then you have those bigger long range trips which can vary from $3000 to $12000. (K2 , Nomad etc)

A week in Weipa - 5 days guided fishing , Accom (incl meals) , airfares will cost about $4K ...... My Etty Bay trip will cost me about $2K (shared cost with my deckie) ..... & there will be 5 days lost in towing

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

hmmmm, boats..

boat great idea..jpg

Just got back inside from re -rigging my Rods from yesterdays outing with Wife,Daughter and Grandchild. Not to mention another Rod n reel purchased from BCF that in no way did i need , but the cost was right and both Rod n reel looked the Goods so made the purchase.
    Now ?? if i didnt have my Boat to own all this unnesacerry gear where would i be lol??..
    On a seriouse note though Chris , if your Kids / Familly arent going hungry or having to sleep outside because life isnt going to right way and you havent Creditors knocking on your door then why not enjoy what turns you on??..
    You dont spend and enjoy it Gov or others will come knocking and take it off you anyway !! or Stock losses and lose it from your Super that you were forced to invest in so your not a burden on the Government..
    Had a caravan as mentioned above and rather enjoyed it not to mention selling my Reef Boat due to little use due to the van on the road , then Familly issues came a nockin via illness's etc , Covid and van was sitting idle so sold it ..
    Then we have no boat and no van and all those helped enjoy your reef Boat are ..
    Trust me Life is a pain in the butt without either .. So back to Boat ownership . two since the sale of the Van and havent regretted either one although i did make $$ both on van and previouse Boat so cannot complain..
    What i am trying to say is Once yourve been bitten by the Sea / Fishing and its peace of mind sipping a coffee whilst waiting for a Fish to came along and play ..
    Its a tad like laying back on a tarp next to an open fire out in the middle of nowhere looking up at the Stars wandering about creation lol..
    You cant go back!!..
    Or should add "Pray Not "..
    If one was to weigh up the cost of Fish Vs Boat ownership , Fish markets would be the winners lol , mind you doubt if the freshness purchasing from Fish Board would be equal to catching your own.
    Also if you have a large familly that likes Fish to chew on why should they be forced to purchase it if you own a Boat and can catch it yourself??.. So Boat ownership can have a wee bit of an advantage sometimes ey..