Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boat ownership cost vs benefit

Re: Boat ownership cost vs benefit

You need to try live scope when looking g for Jew holes

its eye opening

id bring it to Sydney for a fish to show you before I sold it but have no where to safely keep it

Ausfish Platinum Member

We're about to head down the path of purchasing another boat, or getting one built. We've recently got our 4m tinny for the estuary side of things, and we've got the 5m Top Ender as well. The 5m is great, but it's sort of between a good size for estuary and offshore. Little big for running crab pots and zipping up smaller creeks, and a little small for stepping outside.
    Plans now are to replace it with something around the 6m mark, in plate alloy. I now get to start researching boats again, which I love. The replacement needs to be set up on full off-road trailer and bulletproof for our NT trips.

This is all a hobby for us, could I go without a boat, definitely not. We travelled once around northern QLD, Karumba etc with no boat, will never do that again. We are lucky that $$ aren't an issue, but overall, the boating, or sometimes fishing, is something that we both love to do, and being located in North QLD has it's benefits.
    Same as others, I love to tinker, so setting up a boat, then using it once set up to suit our needs is a buzz. They're the same as building cars I reckon, they are never finished, there is always something else to be done, upgraded etc.

We have looked at the charters and 'Fishing Camps' in the NT in the past, but we love being able to do our own thing, have our own set up, and go to places that aren't popular, away from the masses. Not to mention the great times had with kids, kids partners, and mates.
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    We're about to head down the path of purchasing another boat, or getting one built. We've recently got our 4m tinny for the estuary side of things, and we've got the 5m Top Ender as well. The 5m is great, but it's sort of between a good size for estuary and offshore. Little big for running crab pots and zipping up smaller creeks, and a little small for stepping outside.
    Plans now are to replace it with something around the 6m mark, in plate alloy. I now get to start researching boats again, which I love. The replacement needs to be set up on full off-road trailer and bulletproof for our NT trips.

This is all a hobby for us, could I go without a boat, definitely not. We travelled once around northern QLD, Karumba etc with no boat, will never do that again. We are lucky that $$ aren't an issue, but overall, the boating, or sometimes fishing, is something that we both love to do, and being located in North QLD has it's benefits.
    Same as others, I love to tinker, so setting up a boat, then using it once set up to suit our needs is a buzz. They're the same as building cars I reckon, they are never finished, there is always something else to be done, upgraded etc.

We have looked at the charters and 'Fishing Camps' in the NT in the past, but we love being able to do our own thing, have our own set up, and go to places that aren't popular, away from the masses. Not to mention the great times had with kids, kids partners, and mates.
    If I lived in central to north Qld ...... I dont think I would be having such demons & I reckon I would certainly own 2 boats

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    If I lived in central to north Qld ...... I dont think I would be having such demons & I reckon I would certainly own 2 boats

Chris
    Not sure what you mean by demons Chris, we've always had two boats while being in Nth Qld, it's pretty much a must. We sold our last little boat when we moved down to the Snowy's a while back, and now got a little one again now we've moved back up here. The demons I got is what sort of boat do I replace the Top Ender with... but that's a whole other thread.
    Cheers
    Corry

Not sure what you mean by demons Chris, we've always had two boats while being in Nth Qld, it's pretty much a must. We sold our last little boat when we moved down to the Snowy's a while back, and now got a little one again now we've moved back up here. The demons I got is what sort of boat do I replace the Top Ender with... but that's a whole other thread.
    The demon - "do you need to own a boat ?"

If you thought logically (usage)..... the answer is probably no & if it wasn't for my annual trip to Evans Head - it would be a definite NO! . Without a doubt Evan's Head is keeping the demon at bay.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Platinum Member

Bwahahahahaha.... yes Chris, agree, it is a Demon

That age ole question... 'is it needed', well probably not, but I'd rate it right up there, with oxygen
    We use at least one of ours weekly, not sure what we'd do if we didn't have one. Cabin fever would be contagious, madness would set in, I'd end up crazier than I already am
    Cheers
    Corry

Bwahahahahaha.... yes Chris, agree, it is a Demon

That age ole question... 'is it needed', well probably not, but I'd rate it right up there, with oxygen
    We use at least one of ours weekly, not sure what we'd do if we didn't have one. Cabin fever would be contagious, madness would set in, I'd end up crazier than I already am
    If I didn't have a boat under the carport - I reckon the first weekend of nice weather I'd be a basket case .

Maybe I just need to find another way to enjoy the boat even when the wind is blowing & you cant get offshore ......... just need to get motivated.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Boat sold in Under a day, we’ll if he turns up and pays for it it’s sold

Quintrex are planning a 9 percent increase Aparantly

I have seen a couple of people lately list their boat on FB and once they have seen the interest, pulled the ad down and relisted for more money...lol..

People still paying stupid prices ATM..

Is that the end of Ausfish for you steve now that you arent a "little tinny" owner (according to the pigeon)...

I’ll get a bass boat when I get back from overseas permanently

still going to fish dragged all the beach and rock gear which havnt been sued in quite a few years
    and will use most of the gear swimbaiting for flathead and walking the flats again when I can get to the coast

looking forward to seeing what the fishing’s like in the Middle East

The flogs not worth commenting on

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I have seen a couple of people lately list their boat on FB and once they have seen the interest, pulled the ad down and relisted for more money...lol..

Is that the end of Ausfish for you steve now that you arent a "little tinny" owner (according to the pigeon)...
    i want to list the cat for sale at the moment. But it’s got the worst wiring I’ve ever seen on a boat, so I’ll have to take a few days to re-wire most of the boat. I couldn’t live with myself knowing someone bought it and it burnt to the waterline.

unfortunately I’m back over seas any minute and that will have to wait until,November.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Interestingly I've started doing the rounds with the biat yards from caloundra to redcliffe and the number of new boats available have increased so much that most of them are full. Even 2nd hand ones are having to reduce their prices as those that bought during lockdown and haven't used them are back on market and are having to drop prices zfter a few weeks to get buyers. Those with older 2 bangers are finding it harder to sell now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Interestingly I've started doing the rounds with the biat yards from caloundra to redcliffe and the number of new boats available have increased so much that most of them are full. Even 2nd hand ones are having to reduce their prices as those that bought during lockdown and haven't used them are back on market and are having to drop prices zfter a few weeks to get buyers. Those with older 2 bangers are finding it harder to sell now.
    Yeah Sam the factory production boats may be catching up to demand..I notice 3 new yellowfins sitting in the local Quintrex yard for the past couple of weeks which woudnt have happened 6-12 months back....they would have been in and out as soon as fitted out ..

I saw a 3 yr old 6.2m Svvenson listed on Plate boats FB for about 137K that was snapped up within days...Sam, How does the market look for smaller custom boat builders in that 6-7m size..?...seems to be a slightly different market then people looking for Formosa, stessel, Tabs etc...

and an interesting point you make about people buying them through lockdown and now trying to offload them....I think most folks knew that was only a matter of time..

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    i want to list the cat for sale at the moment. But it’s got the worst wiring I’ve ever seen on a boat, so I’ll have to take a few days to re-wire most of the boat. I couldn’t live with myself knowing someone bought it and it burnt to the waterline.

unfortunately I’m back over seas any minute and that will have to wait until,November.
    Whats going on mate...Wet Pussy up for sale already..?

Whats going on mate...Wet Pussy up for sale already..?
    will be in the next few months. Probably around Christmas time. A new investment opportunity that I’d like to reduce the interest on in the short term.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.