Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Went for a flick today

Re: Went for a flick today

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    I had a go in the pine today, usually not a fan but its close being only 15 minutes to Pelican park from home, only caught the one, 65cm on a little vibe that i jazzed up with assist hooks, lost 2 vibes today including my 21$ eco gear zx40, was not happy abnd will have to make up a lure retriever .
    Attachment 126004
    Thats a bummer, Anaconda have them for $16.79 ATM

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-...dusky-flathead

Recent research has found that, unlike barramundi and yellowfin bream, dusky flathead do not change from males to females (protandrous hermaphroditism) as they grow (Pollock 2015).
    In reading this article I learnt the Yellow Fin Bream were protandrous, you learn something new every day.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._sex_inversion

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    In reading this article I learnt the Yellow Fin Bream were protandrous, you learn something new every day.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._sex_inversion
    am I reading his correct? YF Bream are born with both sex types. Some fish are male their whole lives. Some fish are female their whole lives and others change sex from male to female later in life with the number of males dropping with age?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    am I reading his correct? YF Bream are born with both sex types. Some fish are male their whole lives. Some fish are female their whole lives and others change sex from male to female later in life with the number of males dropping with age?
    Weird, ain't it, although I seem to get the impression born predominantly male.

I am a little offended at the gender stereotyping going on here. It's up to the fish, you Phillistines.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    No there's nothing weird about it, look whats going on to day with guys wanting to be girls and girls wanting to be guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    I am a little offended at the gender stereotyping going on here. It's up to the fish, you Phillistines.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Oh of course it is up to the fish , how do I tell a transgender fish
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

My brother twisted my arm again and we went for a flick on Sunday. It was slow till about 11:00 am when there was a flurry of small flatties for about half an hour with 2 nice specimens of 52cm and 64cm amongst them. My brother only managed 2 rats, I offered the lure that did all the damage to him but he persisted on using his own, I guess I know what to get him for Xmas. After that flurry it just died.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Oh of course it is up to the fish , how do I tell a transgender fish
    more importantly is that we all educate ourselves with the correct pronouns so not to offend.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    My brother twisted my arm again and we went for a flick on Sunday. It was slow till about 11:00 am when there was a flurry of small flatties for about half an hour with 2 nice specimens of 52cm and 64cm amongst them. My brother only managed 2 rats, I offered the lure that did all the damage to him but he persisted on using his own, I guess I know what to get him for Xmas. After that flurry it just died.
    We were out Sunday as well and managed 9 but most were just legal or under, best was 53cm, looks like the peak has passed as they were absent from many of the usual spots, wife did well with Whitebait on little ganged rig again, put tags in the 9 and came home with none, somebody turned the fan on right on 12, you could see the wind coming at us on the water..

Blog Entries

Funchy what a fish, well done, is that your best?, mine is 89cm from the Jumpinpin region, i must have caught over 1000 flathead in the Passage since my best 8 years ago or so up there that was 78cm, im sure the Passage doesnt have the bigger fish like the Pin does.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Funchy what a fish, well done, is that your best?, mine is 89cm from the Jumpinpin region, i must have caught over 1000 flathead in the Passage since my best 8 years ago or so up there that was 78cm, im sure the Passage doesnt have the bigger fish like the Pin does.
    gday AC

my best is 92cm caught on a full moon around 7:30pm a few years back. I’ve caught about 8 flathead in the 80’s in the last 10 years I reckon. Really wanna crack a tonne

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    gday AC

my best is 92cm caught on a full moon around 7:30pm a few years back. I’ve caught about 8 flathead in the 80’s in the last 10 years I reckon. Really wanna crack a tonne
    Wow, i keep a fishing diary of what i catch and even with the floods ive caught 286 flathead this year and my biggest was a modest 68.5, i did hook a 78.5cm but i handed the rod straight to my grand daughter so cant really count it, its been over 8 years since ive caught a flathead over 75cm so your doing very well..

I think they should have gone to Spec Savers.

To stay away from my covid wife I went out for a flick, got into the area I wanted to really work over and I'm sitting about 4 to 5 metres away from the bank moving slowly forward using the leccy when around the corner comes another tinnie loaded with crab pots running 2 metres off the bank. Now there was 50 metres clear to other other bank and I expected him to go around but NO, he decided he wanted to come between me and the bank I was fishing. Of course I had the first bite in an hour just as he was coming through and dropped a nice flattie around 50cm at the boat, I dropped the rod tip down a bit and he came back up and was about to snaffle the SP when he took fright of this other boat. Bugger. Anyway this other boat motors about 10 metres in front of me and does a big U turn and drops a pot straight for where I was heading.

Now normally I would say something but there were 2 blokes in the boat and each one was twice the size of me and about 20 years younger. The skipper looks at me and says "you know there's a deep hole over there" pointing in some strange direction and I replied, "I know where the holes are around here". I think his mate got the pun as he gave me a sheepish wave but the skipper was just too dumb.

Anyway I moved around the corner as they continued to drop pots along the stretch of waterway I really wanted to spend a bit of time working out different lures, strategies etc. I did think of telling them that in about 1.5 hrs the tide will have dropped (this is about 11am, and their pots will have been exposed till about 6pm by which time they wouldn't be able to get in to this area till well after dark, in fact they couldn't get in till about 10am tomorrow but using my wifes advice I just kept my mouth closed.

Still, a nice day n the water, a big dark grey cloud came over but I gave it a look and it realised I'd been annoyed enough and went away. Very few boats n the water today so it was quite peaceful.