Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Went for a flick today

Re: Went for a flick today

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Couldn't agree more, minimum on my boat is 45cm.
    However in saying that I once resd an article where the further south you go the earlier they msture, I'll need to locate it.

Hey alleycat do you have a link to the video.
    I was going from this one that seems to have been focused on NSW.

https://www.fish.gov.au/Archived-Rep...ort_REPORT.pdf
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Thanks mate, unfortunately it's a private group so can't see anything 😕

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    apparently only 5% of Females but 75% of males are sexually mature at that size. I’d like to see them adopt the 40cm MLS that QLD has so that the females get more of a chance to spawn before being caught. I like the upper slot limit which will do wonders for the fishery but a bit of help at the bottom end could go a long way too.
    Yep agree

When it comes to minimum fish size it should always be higher than sexual maturity - give those youngsters a chance to breed a couple of times before they can legally be kept .

As for flathead - A 40cm fish is so much a better eating size

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Went for a flick today, wow perfect conditions but i didnt like the tides, much prefer a low at Toorbul around 8.30 -10 am, and the Pumistone passage can be a tough place at times, fished from 6.15am to 2 pm for 15 flathead, biggest was 41cm, so many around 37cm, went home with nothing, they just were not were they usually are, i could see the bottom in 10 feet of water..

Blog Entries

Went for a flick today, wow perfect conditions but i didnt like the tides, much prefer a low at Toorbul around 8.30 -10 am, and the Pumistone passage can be a tough place at times, fished from 6.15am to 2 pm for 15 flathead, biggest was 41cm, so many around 37cm, went home with nothing, they just were not were they usually are, i could see the bottom in 10 feet of water..
    Just prior to that last lot of rain we I was doing well on them but since then it's been slim pickings. I'll see how I go on this Monday morning's low tide

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Just prior to that last lot of rain we I was doing well on them but since then it's been slim pickings. I'll see how I go on this Monday morning's low tide
    My God daughter just flew in from the Netherlands and visiting Monday but I was hoping to have a flick myself before they got here then realised I've ordered some delicacies from Dutchys especially for her and the kids and need to pick it up in the morning before they arrive. Oh well later in the week will have to do.

Blog Entries

My God daughter just flew in from the Netherlands and visiting Monday but I was hoping to have a flick myself before they got here then realised I've ordered some delicacies from Dutchys especially for her and the kids and need to pick it up in the morning before they arrive. Oh well later in the week will have to do.
    im headed out now

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    im headed out now
    I hope you took a raincoat?

Blog Entries

I hope you took a raincoat?
    Needed a rain coat and a space blanket

I went for a flick today, great weather but the snot weed is out there, flathead seem to be dropping off as they do every year after peaking in June and July, ended up with 16 best going a tad over 56cm, a lure i am having heaps of success with is the Ecogear zx40 prawn blade, its a massive fish taker but only if you replace the small assist hooks with no4 hook Atomic assists, the small hooks that come with the lure just pull out too often..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the tip alleycat. How do you fish those blades? Casting at everything that moves or drifting with rod in hand to provide action on the blade?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Thanks for the tip alleycat. How do you fish those blades? Casting at everything that moves or drifting with rod in hand to provide action on the blade?
    I cast to the areas i normally cast at with a plastic, ie drop offs along the edges of banks exposed on dropping tides and weed edges, with the blade hits the bottom i do 2 little rips lifting the rod tip up half a meter each time and then let it hit the bottom and repeat while retrieving, you want to imitate a prawn , the no 4 assist hooks are a must, i lost many fish on the tiny hooks that come with the vibe..

I cast to the areas i normally cast at with a plastic, ie drop offs along the edges of banks exposed on dropping tides and weed edges, with the blade hits the bottom i do 2 little rips lifting the rod tip up half a meter each time and then let it hit the bottom and repeat while retrieving, you want to imitate a prawn , the no 4 assist hooks are a must, i lost many fish on the tiny hooks that come with the vibe..
    Mate i have caught a lot of Yellowbelly at Copeton on these some up in the high 50s. Have a look at Tackle paradise Australia exactly the same blade at 1/3 the price & they do work, can't wait to get to the coast & try them

I went for a flick today, great weather but the snot weed is out there, flathead seem to be dropping off as they do every year after peaking in June and July, ended up with 16 best going a tad over 56cm, a lure i am having heaps of success with is the Ecogear zx40 prawn blade, its a massive fish taker but only if you replace the small assist hooks with no4 hook Atomic assists, the small hooks that come with the lure just pull out too often..
    Did you just cut the old hooks off and put the new ones onto the ring. On my Ecogear the hooks are tied in with the whiskers, for a better name, and I was worried if if cut them off I would lose those although I could retie them I suppose.

My international visitors have departed for a few days so I am going out tomorrow for a flick, might have to try the Ecogear out again as I had put it away when not catching anything on it, never thought of replacing the hooks.

Did you just cut the old hooks off and put the new ones onto the ring. On my Ecogear the hooks are tied in with the whiskers, for a better name, and I was worried if if cut them off I would lose those although I could retie them I suppose.

My international visitors have departed for a few days so I am going out tomorrow for a flick, might have to try the Ecogear out again as I had put it away when not catching anything on it, never thought of replacing the hooks.
    Hi Dignity, the atomic hooks come with whiskers, just remove the split ring with little hooks and then feed on Atomic assist hooks with split ring.