Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lithium batteries & insurance

Lithium batteries & insurance

Hi All

I've noticed in recent times there has been some "Disturbance in the Force" when it comes to boat insurance & the use of Lithium technology batteries on boats

The rumblings vary from what the Insurers might do through to the need for "professional installation"

This will be one to watch as Insurance companies are always on the look out for an "out"

At this stage Club Marine are not doing anything ..... but for others - ???

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Lithium batteries & insurance

I wonder if its a backlash because of that charter dive boat of California where more then 30 people died because of a charging lithium battery causing a catastrophic fire..

Given that the battery market is largely unregulated and you really cant tell whether whats in the box has the correct sized wiring, connectors and BMS and that many people hook them up themselves, I think its reasonably understandable that an insurance company may ask that they are installed by someone that knows what they are doing..

I hope it doesnt become part of the policies but I would not be surprised if it does..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I wonder if its a backlash because of that charter dive boat of California where more then 30 people died because of a charging lithium battery causing a catastrophic fire..

Given that the battery market is largely unregulated and you really cant tell whether whats in the box has the correct sized wiring, connectors and BMS and that many people hook them up themselves, I think its reasonably understandable that an insurance company may ask that they are installed by someone that knows what they are doing..

I hope it doesnt become part of the policies but I would not be surprised if it does..
    Straight away thought of your old mate when I read this!!

Gday Sam, thanks for this. That is scary. Certainly something to think about.

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Quote Originally Posted by upstart View Post
    Straight away thought of your old mate when I read this!!
    Do ya reckon old mate will carry his new LifePO4 leccy batteries in the bottom of the splash well next to his start battery...?

Well if you think about it they use a heap of lithium batteries on the modern day aeroplanes so what ever they do for them on the safety side of things it should be the same on a boats at least you can jump over board on a boat not quite the same at 30,000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Gday Sam, thanks for this. That is scary. Certainly something to think about.

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Don't do stupid things is basically what this is saying. That includes buying cheap LiFePo4 batteries on fleabay or FB. Safety does have a price, I'm about to put one in the tinnie for my leccy.

Also no guatantee this is factual as I havent checked it out. I would be surprised that those batteries would use pouch cells.

Yes Sam its really not fair to label all Lithium iron batteries as "dangerous" ...

As you know there are different types that use different elements in them..

LiFePO4 are the safest both in terms of combustion and and any threat of danger to humans handling them as they dont contain flammable or poisonous heavy metals...

https://wiserobotics.com/blog/safe-a...ies-explained/

I'm not sure if airline differentiate between types of Lithium ion batteries allowed as carry on or if its just a blanket ban on all lithium ion...but you could imagine it may create somewhat of a drama if someone's battery or device malfunctioned or overcharged and went off like in that video Dignity posted..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yes Sam its really not fair to label all Lithium iron batteries as "dangerous" ...

As you know there are different types that use different elements in them..

LiFePO4 are the safest both in terms of combustion and and any threat of danger to humans handling them as they dont contain flammable or poisonous heavy metals...

https://wiserobotics.com/blog/safe-a...ies-explained/

I'm not sure if airline differentiate between types of Lithium ion batteries allowed as carry on or if its just a blanket ban on all lithium ion...but you could imagine it may create somewhat of a drama if someone's battery or device malfunctioned or overcharged and went off like in that video Dignity posted..
    And the confusion reigns supreme when reading specs on lifepo4 batteries they are being referred to as "Lithium Ion" in most cases.

It's why you are asked when boarding a plane are you carrying any spare batteries or battery packs ?

Back to the point of LiFePO$ batteries are not all created equal & you get what you pay for .

This technology is pretty safe - when it is constructed , designed & charged properly .. ...... If you watch Will Prowse on his tear downs he will at times say that a battery would be OK if used outside or in a shed. ...... it would do a job but dont use it in your house (just in case) .

As for planes - you can bet they aren't using ebay batteries

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

LiFePO4 is a type of Lithium based battery. There is many, NMC, NCA, LMO, LFP, CLO.

LiFePO4, or LFP is the safest, but not the highest energy density. The types that are used in phones and cars and planes are very different, higher energy density and perhaps not quite as safe.

I guess this is why Lithium ion battery packs arent allowed on airplanes...it wouldnt be much fun on your boat or car either..

the first built Boeing 787's had a few battery fires. now, they are fitted inside fully sealed metal boxes which are vented externally. so any possible fire will be contained within and left to burn itself out!