Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EV Works Brand LifePo4 100Ah cells.

EV Works Brand LifePo4 100Ah cells.

Ordered two sets of 100Ah LFPo4 cells last week. They arrived last night so I thought I’d do a capacity test on them before setting them up properly.

Quickly wired the sets of 4 together with the terminal connectors. All cells came balanced at 3.4v each so near on fully charged. Wicked on the Victron 15A charger and they quickly went into absorption mode and within 15 minutes the amps had down rates to zero. They sat on 0 amps for a couple of hours before going into storage mode (which was weird).

Today quickly wired them into a battery box and connected a Victron BMV Smart shunt into the negative side. Have just hooked up the Dometic 100L fridge and set it to -22. Added a few Led strips and an old. Low range sounder to draw them down. Have the shunt set to 12v cut off and 10% floor.

Will see over the next 7-8hours how they do.

5C78CC71-D0EF-4AFA-8EC1-24DA941ABB48.jpg46584921-D4D5-42AD-BF79-400C1F968C6C.jpg
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Re: EV Works Brand LifePo4 100Ah cells.

You will never get to 14 pages with that type of succinct informative post mate. Lol.

Lovey when my battery went into obsorbsion it still flashed 0 than 14.4X back and forth as it kept putting a tiny bit of charge into the battery

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Ordered two sets of 100Ah LFPo4 cells last week. They arrived last night so I thought I’d do a capacity test on them before setting them up properly.

Quickly wired the sets of 4 together with the terminal connectors. All cells came balanced at 3.4v each so near on fully charged. Wicked on the Victron 15A charger and they quickly went into absorption mode and within 15 minutes the amps had down rates to zero. They sat on 0 amps for a couple of hours before going into storage mode (which was weird).

Today quickly wired them into a battery box and connected a Victron BMV Smart shunt into the negative side. Have just hooked up the Dometic 100L fridge and set it to -22. Added a few Led strips and an old. Low range sounder to draw them down. Have the shunt set to 12v cut off and 10% floor.

Will see over the next 7-8hours how they do.

5C78CC71-D0EF-4AFA-8EC1-24DA941ABB48.jpg46584921-D4D5-42AD-BF79-400C1F968C6C.jpg
    Very nice we’re did you source them from and how much for them and what bms are you useing.

Ok so had a slab to pour today so didn’t get back to everyone.

drew the battery down to 11.8v (4% SOC) with the shunt showing I’d used 96Ah. Connected the 15A Victron charger up to it and it’s now back to 94% with an absorption charge down to 1A.

evworks.com.au is where I bought them from. Using 100A Daly BMS that I also got from them. Cost was $500 for the 4 cells and $200 for the BMS.

$125 a cell is a good price I would hope you get your 100amps from them or a amp or 2 more I heard of 104 to 106 amps from them.

A couple of amps either side won’t make much of a difference. @90@h discharge it was sitting around 12.3v but tailed off quite quickly after that. so I plan on setting it up to cut out around 12v for long life.

Just a bit of an update if anyone is interested. I decided to go a different path than I had planned. Rather than setting up 2x100ah sets of cells with separate BMS and linking them to make a 200Ah battery I decided to cut the BMS back to 1 and parallel 4 sets of cells and using each pair as one string.

I haven’t had time to set up the permanent battery box into the back of the Ute so figured I’d get it together in a kings battery box to make sure everything is hunky dory. (The box is too short for these cells).

got the battery configured first with the BMS set up. Then screwed the Victron shunt into the top of the box and put the cover back on. Now to programme the BMS

Just a quick update. Last night I spent hours trying to get the BMS programmed. Part of the problem was that I had fully charged the battery before programming and through the set up process one of the cells had gotten out of balance. 0.15v may not seem like a lot but it’s certainly well above what the BMS would normally try to correct. But as the charger was seeing the battery as full it wasn’t putting in any more charge.

The Daly BMS will only balance when either charging or discharging and as it wasn’t doing either I couldn’t get the app to finish the set up. But once I added some LED’s to the pack, the app came to life and everything turned on. The balance works by focusing on the cell (string) with the highest voltage in either charge or discharge mode. Within an hour or so it had brought all the cells to within 0.001 of a volt. Cells 1&2 (closest to the positive) seem to flick back and forth as the ones that remain 0.001v higher than 3&4.

I have the settings such that the BMS will cut out at 11.2v for low voltage protection and 14.4v high voltage protection. As the BMS is the 100A version it will only run a 1200watt device if I decide to run an inverter so that something I may change in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Just a quick update. Last night I spent hours trying to get the BMS programmed. Part of the problem was that I had fully charged the battery before programming and through the set up process one of the cells had gotten out of balance. 0.15v may not seem like a lot but it’s certainly well above what the BMS would normally try to correct. But as the charger was seeing the battery as full it wasn’t putting in any more charge.

The Daly BMS will only balance when either charging or discharging and as it wasn’t doing either I couldn’t get the app to finish the set up. But once I added some LED’s to the pack, the app came to life and everything turned on. The balance works by focusing on the cell (string) with the highest voltage in either charge or discharge mode. Within an hour or so it had brought all the cells to within 0.001 of a volt. Cells 1&2 (closest to the positive) seem to flick back and forth as the ones that remain 0.001v higher than 3&4.

I have the settings such that the BMS will cut out at 11.2v for low voltage protection and 14.4v high voltage protection. As the BMS is the 100A version it will only run a 1200watt device if I decide to run an inverter so that something I may change in the future.
    Thanks for the explanation it seems simple enough the way you have explained it ,thanks for not making it a 25 page drama that no one can understand. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I’d probably recommend anyone going down the same path consider researching other brand BMS. The Daly seems simple enough but the settings weren’t intuitive or easy to push through and getting recommended settings was difficult and ended up using a YouTuber as a base line. Other BMS’ will actively draw charge from one cell and put it into another regularly, which may be better for those with a caravan or similar that doesn’t get used often. Though that said once balanced they should stay pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation it seems simple enough the way you have explained it ,thanks for not making it a 25 page drama that no one can understand. Matt
    it's all electrickery to me

Ok with the first full discharge after making the 200Ah set up I ran the Dometic CFX 3 100L fridge for almost 3 days exactly. With the under voltage protection set at 11.8v I was able to pull 189Ah out of the battery before it shut down.

What is the overall size of your new battery including BMS and wiring?
    Jack.

380L x 190W x 275H. The lot fits inside a standard kings battery box but the cells are too high to get the lid on.