Thread: Solar Panel Install

Solar Panel Install

Is mounting of solar panels useful on a boat?

Is this done often?

Splash

Re: Solar Panel Install

Not normally as the amount of area available is not enough to make it worth while

small boats defiantly not
    mid size 6m up normally no as well but in this size you get outboards with proper alternators that have spare capacity to recharge batteries properly

I see your looking at adding everything and anything to to your new boat your planning
    saltwater wrecks everything and the more complicated you make everything the more chance of something going wrong
    and in a new alloy boat I’d be avoiding as many holes as possible as every screw bolt rivet along with the dissimilar metals of everything to plan to mount all adds to the chances of it looking munted in a short number of years.

same with consoles and dash where electronics are dash mounted, you can only cut a hole once and you are guaranteed the next radio or sounder will be a different size

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Is mounting of solar panels useful on a boat?

Is this done often?

Splash
    Based on what you said how you want to use your boat (trolling tuna & snapper fishing ) - why are you even thinking of solar ?

When trolling you're batteries will be fully charged by the motor .

Even snapper fishing -- you'll no doubt move around & with your motor charging at around 50amps / hr - no problem

If you plan to do overnight trips & run all those electronics - fridge etc - just add a bigger capacity house battery ........ a 200amp LiFePO4 will cover you.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah you should think carefully about the proposed application first and the advice in the above 2 posts is all spot on and gives good options instead of a panel....besides stuff can easily be added later if the need arises...

I just recently mounted a 5.5kg 290w semi-flexible panel using vented gap and double sided tape so hopefully that will hold without the need for more holes and bolts and brackets in the hardtop..

https://www.solar4rvs.com.au/sunman-...l-thin-frame-w

20220610_122643.jpg

For my house and start I have 2x hybrid 100ah batteries which also run all electrics and 12v Travel oven...

Then I have a 100ah LiFePO4 to run the 80l Fridge freezer which is good for about 2 days so the only time I actually need the panel is for multi-day trips longer then 2 days..but as mentioned if you are doing a lot of trolling then that 50 constant alternator amps(though probably a bit less at low RPM's) then you should have no problems at all keeping batteries topped up..

The other issue is weight on that flimsy folding hardtop that BC and Yellowfin have, which is notorious for cracking where the supports attach to the gunnels...I'm surprised you didnt go for a enclosed cab /proper hardtop down in the chilly south to keep you and your electronics out of spray...The folding hardtop version doesnt seem to provide much cover in the cockpit, particular in a quartering sea......

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yeah you should think carefully about the proposed application first and the advice in the above 2 posts is all spot on and gives good options instead of a panel....besides stuff can easily be added later if the need arises...

I just recently mounted a 5.5kg 290w semi-flexible panel using vented gap and double sided tape so hopefully that will hold without the need for more holes and bolts and brackets in the hardtop..

https://www.solar4rvs.com.au/sunman-...l-thin-frame-w

20220610_122643.jpg

For my house and start I have 2x hybrid 100ah batteries which also run all electrics and 12v Travel oven...

Then I have a 100ah LiFePO4 to run the 80l Fridge freezer which is good for about 2 days so the only time I actually need the panel is for multi-day trips longer then 2 days..but as mentioned if you are doing a lot of trolling then that 50 constant alternator amps(though probably a bit less at low RPM's) then you should have no problems at all keeping batteries topped up..

The other issue is weight on that flimsy folding hardtop that BC and Yellowfin have, which is notorious for cracking where the supports attach to the gunnels...I'm surprised you didnt go for a enclosed cab /proper hardtop down in the chilly south to keep you and your electronics out of spray...The folding hardtop version doesnt seem to provide much cover in the cockpit, particular in a quartering sea......

I agree with previously mentioned posts by SteveJ, Nagg and Disorderly. After having trolled tuna off Portland for a few seasons with Matt Hunt in a 9M Clayton, I would appreciate the enclosed cabin in the notorious Portland washing machine. My 6.2M alloy CC is great offshore SE QLD, even in the current westerly conditions, but I would not consider taking in out in Bass Strait off Portland unless it the sea was a <1M swell with minimal wind chop. Just my humble opinion though. SS

Great feedback and it is really appreciated. I won’t fit anything on top of the cuddly roof now.

Yes, I really wanted the HT but I cannot fit a HT underneath my carport at home unfortunately.

Perhaps I should put more focus on addressing spray / water from entering the front and preserving the electronics when using the 670C…

Splash

Ausfish Platinum Member

As above, solar is really only any use if you spend long periods with stuff running and the engine off. I actually find mine invaluable, but it's horses for courses. I do tend to do extended trips, usually 4 to 10 days. I have a flexible 120w panel mounted to the fibreglass hardtop with 3M double sided tape. I has been there for 3 years, all good. my original panel was an ebay cheapie, didn't even last the first trip, but he did give a refund, Went for a more expensive one, no problems. My regulator shows up to a 10 amp charge rate--should not be impossible with 120 w, but that's what it says---which is great if I am running the fridge and all electronics. And something which many do not consider--solar panels actually do still work at towing speeds. I can run my fridge towing the boat long distances, and have a fully charged House battery when I get there. My fridge is a home made , running a BD50 compressor, so it is usually pulling about 5.5 amps.

we tend to install panel systems on the 7m-8-9-11mt Jeanneaus we OEM. mostly because they are runnin ga fair bit of gear onboard and its just a way to ensure the batteries are always kept in the positive. on the larger boats where we can run 300+ watts of solar . its more handy for when they may be at anchor watching their netflix etc. the TV + stereo system will pull around 150-200w so on a nice sunny day they can feel asured that they arent going to end strandard.

on our big 50ft and 60ft power cats, we can tun 18-20kw of solar. at which we have infinate range so long as the sun is shining at 5knotts.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Thanks guys. as always - great information…