Thread: Mercury Optimax

Mercury Optimax

2007 optimax in a 90 hp is there anything I need to be aware off as far as these engines go , anything that lets them down as far as reliability is concerned. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Re: Mercury Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    2007 optimax in a 90 hp is there anything I need to be aware off as far as these engines go , anything that lets them down as far as reliability is concerned. Matt
    Yeh Matt - It's a Optimax & it's 15 years old

I cant really comment on the motor itself - you hear the good & the bad

How many hours though ? - hours & age would be my concerns ..... it would certainly need to have low hours & a good service history before I would consider one .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Yeh Matt - It's a Optimax & it's 15 years old

I cant really comment on the motor itself - you hear the good & the bad

How many hours though ? - hours & age would be my concerns ..... it would certainly need to have low hours & a good service history before I would consider one .

Chris
    Not buying new again and have a budget so starting to look for something much the same as my old bluefin just a tad bigger , the hunt has just begun . Heading north again next week then when we get back we are going to sell our van and buy another boat . Things have changed a little so I’m going to need another boat . Matt

Not buying new again and have a budget so starting to look for something much the same as my old bluefin just a tad bigger , the hunt has just begun . Heading north again next week then when we get back we are going to sell our van and buy another boat . Things have changed a little so I’m going to need another boat . Matt
    Understand

i'm sure you'll do your homework

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Understand

i'm sure you'll do your homework

Chris
    Yeah iv just looked at some info I feel like it’s a pass ,too many issues might see if I can find a four stroke

Yeah iv just looked at some info I feel like it’s a pass ,too many issues might see if I can find a four stroke
    yeah Matt thats what I would do too..it will cost a bit more but a later model 4 stroke would be much nicer...

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    yeah Matt thats what I would do too..it will cost a bit more but a later model 4 stroke would be much nicer...
    Yeah a later 4 stroke is on the list now , just starting to look at a few but won’t be ready to buy for another couple of months after we sell the van . We are heading north tomorrow heading to Hervey Bay to see some friends then Yeppoon ,Clairview and then Airlie for now , had to book way ahead as everywhere is busy so see where we end up . Matt

Here's a little cheapy mate...got a Minn kota and alloy trailer as well..

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment

My understanding from researching a little when I was looking at an Optimax powered Cootacraft was they are pretty much a bullet proof engine. The main areas of concern was to do with the hours on the fuel system air compressor and if not replaced at the scheduled interval would cause issue. The orbitial fuel system was pretty crafty and the Optimax are in no way related to Etec system. If the maintenance checked out and I could be bothered going back to filling two stroke oil occassionly I would pull the trigger on one if the boat was right.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Here's a little cheapy mate...got a Minn kota and alloy trailer as well..

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment
    Yeah that’s nice and about what I’m after , thanks for that . Matt