Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading LBT

Upgrading LBT

Going to upgrade my small 20 litre bait tank i have found a 85 litre tank looking to hold a mix size of live squid up to 45cm calimari's (head and hood length)

Do u guys think the 85ltr tank will be to big for the 19ft hull?

I will be welding a aluminium frame to go under the tank just looking to raise the tank enough to hang 2 or 3 drains over the back, also going to buy the 800gph pump with pickup tube so i can just switch on the pump and run it the whole day
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Upgrading LBT

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Going to upgrade my small 20 litre bait tank i have found a 85 litre tank looking to hold a mix size of live squid up to 45cm calimari's (head and hood length)

Do u guys think the 85ltr tank will be to big for the 19ft hull?

I will be welding a aluminium frame to go under the tank just looking to raise the tank enough to hang 2 or 3 drains over the back, also going to buy the 800gph pump with pickup tube so i can just switch on the pump and run it the whole day
    I litre of water of seawater weighs just a fraction over 1 kg. Decide for yourself if you are happy with 80kgs+ sitting there.

80lts is pretty big - but realistically it's probably 70lts ( considering the overflow) - 60lts is pretty common on boats

If it is mounted in the center of the transom - I cant see an issue other than dragging 70kgs of water around .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Gazza, plenty of 60 litre drums around, put one in the boat next trip, fill it with water and see how that affects the genetal ride and handling. You may need to tie it down to stop it rolling around but you should be able to reposition a couple of times to get a feel for it.

Thanks guys, i waslooking at raising the 85ltr tank a little higher than normal just so i can position the over flows lower so no water sloshes on the deck, i have had 20ltr home made and one bought 30ltr but wouldlike to downrigg some big squid

I will take the online measurements out to the boat, biggest worry is the water sloshing side to side making the boat feel unseasy

Gazza, i run 2 40 litre tanks, one in each corner. I normally go as high as about 15 big slimies to a 40 litre tank, 20 or a few more on smaller ones, secret to cramming them is ALLOT of inflow at the bottom of the tank and overflow from the top of the tank. 85 kg's allot in a 19 footer i recon, i'd be looking to go 40 to 50 with an optimal water setup. Thats my 2 cents worth anyway.
    Scott

What size and brand of pump are u running out station? Are u running a one way ball valve on the intake line?

I have found some 35L and 55L tanks (poly mate)

Gazz, Rule tournament 800gph. My infeed goes through the side at top water level but its an elbow with a hose tail, i have a length of hose on it to the floor of the tank so water enters at the base (so hence no one way valves or anything like that needed). Where it comes of the elbow i have a 2mm diam hole punched in the tube, just big enough to let air in so it doesn't syphon out if somebody turns the bait pump off by mistake. 800gph through a 55L well set up tank would work well imo.
    Scott

Thanks OS i will go with a 800gph pump on my transom i dont wanba drill a hull thru the bottom hull, i'll run the hose up over the transom over the splash well than down to the bottom of the tank

I will just need to run the pump the whole time so it doesnt back siphon

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Thanks OS i will go with a 800gph pump on my transom i dont wanba drill a hull thru the bottom hull, i'll run the hose up over the transom over the splash well than down to the bottom of the tank

I will just need to run the pump the whole time so it doesnt back siphon
    So did you miss this bit in Out-Station's post:
    " Where it comes of the elbow i have a 2mm diam hole punched in the tube, just big enough to let air in so it doesn't syphon out"

Basically where it enters your LBT at just above water level you want drill a hole, even 1 mm is enough. It will act as an aerator which a lot of people go for which I don't consider necessary if pumping in fresh continuously, or if you have one already then use it and it's the same thing.

I could'nt make sense of the hole Digs, while the pump is on would'nt water push out the hole and leak into the hull? I can't see the hole working like a ventury while under pressure

I grabbed a jonhson 750gph, the 55ltr tank like in my first post pic and i ordered a transom pickup bracket, i will need to drill a hole in the pump base

The hole is in the pipework inside of the LBT and just above the waterline. Once the pimp is turned off the water won't be able to syphon back out. As I said, make it an above water aeratir inlet and probldm solved.

Ok now i understand

Cheers for the clarification Digs i was going to plumb the intake straight into the bottom side of the tank i have since found this flowrite powerhead
    Attached Images Attached Images

What Dignity said Gazz. Hole is in the tube where goes onto the hose tail, just above top water level so it can suck air to stop the syphon effect, simple but crucial part of the system!!!
    Scott