Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Cowling refurbish - how hard is it ?

Re: Outboard Cowling refurbish - how hard is it ?

I seen your last post a few minutes ago as i was replying, now you have gone a clear coat let it bake in your shed to cure set the oil heater to about 25c once the clear coat is cured give any runs a good sand or if u have orange peel u can sand it out, than wash the parts with soapy water and a sponge, the clear coat will be dull than let it dry than use your polish the polish will make it glossy and deep

Only hand polish dont use a machine and dont use a cutting compound

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    There is quiet a few different web links to this site best i found was going to google type in "ausfish mobile site" click the link that says mobile should be first link

You previously mentioned u had a cutting compound i would avoid this, its designed to cut dull paint

Just give her a good polish it should come up nice

2 pack (2k clear) is designed for a 3 coat process as previously mentioned, primer than flat base coat, than clear coat

The way you went was 2 stage, primer, than a semi gloss base coat

You outboard would have been shiny the day it was bought new
    Did the pics show up for you ?

I'm using windows laptop & chrome, I keep having to edit the pics, as they appear landscape if profile and visa versa. then they simply wont appear after a few days.

When u select you're pictures you than need to click "upload" onxe u click "upload" u must sit and wait untill all the new pics have finished uploading and u see the pics in the window than i scroll bottom right and click ok or something like than which will close the upload window and you'll now see the message window, type you're message than click send

Heres the step by step when u select you're pics and click "upload" you will see top right corner a little worm going around in circles this means your upload is uploading once the worm stops and dissapears it means u can scroll down and click "done"
    Attached Images Attached Images

You previously mentioned u had a cutting compound i would avoid this, its designed to cut dull paint

Just give her a good polish it should come up nice

2 pack (2k clear) is designed for a 3 coat process as previously mentioned, primer than flat base coat, than clear coat

The way you went was 2 stage, primer, than a semi gloss base coat

You outboard would have been shiny the day it was bought new
    Cool, thanks, yep, I couldnt find 2k here.

But I suppose I went 3 stage process now, having put the Yamaha clear coat on.

When you say, just give her a good polish, please describe what this means to a noob

Like, do you men a polishing sandpaper maybe 3000 wet, or a polishing/cutting compound, which you said I should avoid.

If I knew how little I know about this before I started, I would not have given it a go. But hey, I am learning - all be it painfully !

Quote Originally Posted by smidsy View Post
    Did the pics show up for you ?

I'm using windows laptop & chrome, I keep having to edit the pics, as they appear landscape if profile and visa versa. then they simply wont appear after a few days.

Pain in the bum, especially as I'm paying, a nominal fee, but combined with the adverts, it not like its a free forum. Should just work !
    Unfortunately portait pics will show up in landscape, no worries, most users can deal with it. Why they sometimes don't work is another issue, just ensure the bottom lhs of the screen it's not set to IPAD, should be set to Ausfish colors.

When u select you're pictures you than need to click "upload" onxe u click "upload" u must sit and wait untill all the new pics have finished uploading and u see the pics in the window than i scroll bottom right and click ok or something like than which will close the upload window and you'll now see the message window, type you're message than click send

Thanks, appreciate the advice, but I think that's what I'm doing though.

First, my ability to post/reply is disabled when I log in, almost every time. Its like my member status is downgraded.

So I log out, close browser, then login again. Sometimes my ability to post is restored, sometimes its not, but if I repeat the process it usually works after 2 or 3 goes.

This is an improvement, when I first bought my membership, this wouldn't work for days or sometimes a couple of weeks. Frustratingly I couldn't post asking advice, cause I couldn't post. I would email admin, but wouldn't get a reply, but after a week or so it would work again.

Then,

I click the insert image icon, choose file, browse to my desktop, click "upload file" and wait for image to appear within the post.

If image appears sideways, I delete, then go to image, right click, "edit with photos" click rotate 4 times and save over original.

I click the insert image icon, choose file, browse to my desktop, click "upload file" and wait for image to appear within the post.

Double click image, select size

Don't know if it matters, but when I edit my post, those pics show up for me. So I see 2 pics in edit mode.

Sometimes it doesn't, so when I edit a post I made a while back, nothing shows up, but when I view the post, it says "attachment"

Unrelated, but this gets annoying when trying to do a quick reply,

image.jpg

Only hand polish dont use a machine and dont use a cutting compound
    Interestingly, my mate said not to do it by hand, as he reckons my hand will follow the undulations, ?

What do you think ?

I don't own a polisher, but SCA has a basic one on special until Wednesday, for $35,

Also,

I have these 2 handy....

Attachment 125881 Attachment 125882

A9398669.jpg SCA_365390_hi-res.jpg

I understand your saying the compound would be too aggressive but would the SCA one be suitable, if not what do you recommend ?

FYI, I have this handy also. I'm terrible at waxing though but only ever hand waxed previously.

I'm in 2 minds about putting this on after I apply the decals.

Attachment 125883

SCA_339250_hi-res.jpg

For anyone following who's new to this like me, and wondering whats the difference with sanding, compound and polish this is a really good video .......

Quote Originally Posted by smidsy View Post
    Thanks, appreciate the advice, but I think that's what I'm doing though.

First, my ability to post/reply is disabled when I log in, almost every time. Its like my member status is downgraded.

So I log out, close browser, then login again. Sometimes my ability to post is restored, sometimes its not, but if I repeat the process it usually works after 2 or 3 goes.

This is an improvement, when I first bought my membership, this wouldn't work for days or sometimes a couple of weeks. Frustratingly I couldn't post asking advice, cause I couldn't post. I would email admin, but wouldn't get a reply, but after a week or so it would work again.

Then,

If image appears sideways, I delete, then go to image, right click, "edit with photos" click rotate 4 times and save over original.

Double click image, select size

Don't know if it matters, but when I edit my post, those pics show up for me. So I see 2 pics in edit mode.

Sometimes it doesn't, so when I edit a post I made a while back, nothing shows up, but when I view the post, it says "attachment"

Unrelated, but this gets annoying when trying to do a quick reply,

image.jpg
    Your explanation is a little confusing. I do not use the mobile site as I've found it a little non intuitive, always switch to desktop site.
    You are best to go Advance Reply, scroll down to Manage Attachments, Top RHC is Add File, go to Add File, Select File, Upload File. Once uploaded goto Bottom RHC and select Inline to place it within the text as you want. At least that's what I do from memory. A bit convoluted but seems to work.
    If you have problems do a post in the Help section and Admin will lead you through any problems as they won't necessarily see these posts here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Your explanation is a little confusing. I do not use the mobile site as I've found it a little non intuitive, always switch to desktop site.
    You are best to go Advance Reply, scroll down to Manage Attachments, Top RHC is Add File, go to Add File, Select File, Upload File. Once uploaded goto Bottom RHC and select Inline to place it within the text as you want. At least that's what I do from memory. A bit convoluted but seems to work.
    If you have problems do a post in the Help section and Admin will lead you through any problems as they won't necessarily see these posts here.
    I only use the desktop site, on chrome & windows, but yes, I think your right about only using the go advanced as per Gazza's instructions, there seems to be a glitch with the image upload option.

You don't want a "compound" they are usually to cut the paint or oxidation, you have a pefectly new paint job

You have two options

Opt 1, wet sand with 3000 grit wet and dry sand paper use lots of water!!! This will kbock back orange peel or runs, than use this polish as pictured

Opt 2, just use this polish product

You don't want a "compound" they are usually to cut the paint or oxidation, you have a pefectly new paint job

You have two options

Opt 1, wet sand with 3000 grit wet and dry sand paper use lots of water!!! This will kbock back orange peel or runs, than use this polish as pictured

Opt 2, just use this polish product
    Cool, $30, nothing is cheap on this job I wonder what it would have cost to get a panel beater to do this refurb, would make me feel better knowing?

There is very light orange peel, and no run offs that I can see. I might give it a go just with polish, I can always sand after if I'm not happy.

I'm curious though, I still need to apply the decals. If I use this polish, will the residue affect the decals adhesion ?

After wiping down with a microfibre cloth, do I use something to wash it off before applying the decals ?

Smidsy….don’t listen to gaz as he doesn’t have a clue about this. You do want a cutting compound to bring a shine back in after sanding the peel back, polish is a final application to protect, nothing else. Yes, the polish will affect how well the decal sticks, you want to do all your sanding/cutting to get your final shine, clean with windex, add decals, do your final polish. And to answer your questions re 2k in a can….you won’t get 2k in a can as 2k is a chemically hardening paint that you have to mix a part a and part b together and spray through a gun, there are brands that have tried a can with a pull tab that releases part b into part a but they never really worked successfully, hence why they’re not popular. After reading through this thread I’m impressed you got the result that you did with Gaz throwing his uneducated opinion out there (read through his project threads, you’ll get some insight into how his work turns out). If you have any questions I’m happy to help where I can, and if you have any queries regarding my knowledge on the subject, I’m a qualified spray painter with years of experience.

Good on you Cobbo. Thumbs up.