Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Cowling refurbish - how hard is it ?

Re: Outboard Cowling refurbish - how hard is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by smidsy View Post
    Hey All,

I have this....

Attachment 125655

Attachment 125654

Its looking very worn and faded. So I want to try refurbishing it.

I bought 2 cans of Phantom black spray paint, and I bought a Mercury sticker kit, both from ebay, and they arrived last week.

Firstly, I'm a bit nervous about taking this on, how big a job is it ?

If I decided to pay someone, who do I take it to and how much is a fair price ?

Also...
    Attachment 125657

This sticker is like a 3D piece of plastic.

Should I recondition around it, by covering it up ? Or is it best to remove it and reapply after repainting ?

So.... to answer my original question - How hard is it ?

Its a piece of piss !!

Na seriously, itsFU3k1NG HARD !

Truth be told, I made this much harder then it needed to be because................

1. Innocent naivety
    2. Zero experience
    3. Zero knowledge
    4. Zero sanding skills
    5. Zero spraying skills
    6. Over confidence due to recent successful DIY projects - "How hard could it be?"

There is a bit of an art to this, as in, all the advice I was given, was correct, for different stages of the project, I just didnt understand what I was doing.

This project isn't like servicing a car, or redecorating a room, it EVOLVES !

Depending on weather, individual spray cans(they are inconsistent), spray can level(ie. when full it sprays different to when near empty) temperature variances, humidity, dust, personal sanding quality/ability & personal sanding knowledge

The most important thing is you need to do the right thing at the right time, and most importantly, know what that right thing is, and when to do it

I turned a simple refurbishment job, into a full on "restoration" - which was way way way outside my skill set.

Total Material Costs :

1 Set of decals $100
    6 cans of primer/filler $100 (3 cheap cans wasted @ $40)
    3 cans of cheap paint $45 (all wasted @ $45)
    7 cans of expensive paint $280 (Wasted 2 @ $80)
    2 cans of clear coat(3 coats) $90
    1 can of spray putty $25 (Wasted 1 @ $25)
    1 tin of filler $25
    1 can of acetone $15
    1 small forest of sandpaper $40 (wasted $30)
    1 Polishing compound $30
    1 Merc Badge $15

Total project cost $765

Wasted materials on rework $220

Actual project cost less reworking $545

FYI, expensive Moeller outboard paint that I used was $40 a can.

2 cans of expensive paint I bought on ebay from BCS are included in wasted materials which got sanded off.

So I used 5 cans when doing the reworking. If I had have taken steps to reduce orange peel, and was a better sprayer, I probably could have got away with 3 cans, (possibly 2).

Also, initially I couldn't get my hands on official Mercury paint in Perth, but when I eventually found it, it was also $40 a can. I have since been advised that this can be bought for $25 a can. I have a strong feeling that that price is a trade price, and retail is still $40, but if someone knows better, please let me know, cause this was a significant cost to the project.

I did buy a polishing machine for $35 at SCA(worth its weight in gold!), but I dont think that counts specifically to this project, and I used half a bottle of Maguires compound I had spare in the shed.

Steps since last pics......

Keep in mind I never polished/cut before, and my DIY confidence was pretty low, given how this project was going.

I had all pieces in a small bedroom, with an oil heater for a few days, put them in the sun when I could.

Still not 100% confident they are cured properly, but I'm fairly sure that's just me over thinking, which I do quite a bit.

The bottom cowling was in good shape orange peel wise, so I went straight at that with compound on the polishing machine, definitely a must do !

Results were immediately good early on, had a couple of runs at this & knew I was on a good thing.

Top cowling, I sanded using wet 3000(soaked in a bucket), then I cut it using the polishing machine.

It looked a bit sh1t as I had some orange peel, and I realised I must(!) sand more aggressively, and grow some balls and stop second guessing myself.

I went over it again with 3000 and realised I was getting nowhere.

I have some 1500 grit handy, so I soaked that in the bucket, and very gently went over the top cowling, section by section, until it was "flat". I used a sanding sponge instead of a cork block that I wrapped the paper around. Then I used my finger tips to feel it, especially on the corners. Then I got the 3000 wet, and went over what I had done with the 1500. I didnt move on from each section, until it was perfectly flat.

Then I used compound, wiped it off, and saw a smiley face looking back at me, and it started looking great.

Washed my micro-fibre bonnet and put it in the dryer for 30 minutes.

Then I used the maguires marine polish. Not sure this made a lot of difference.

Finally, as per my research, I put on the dry wool bonnet & buffed the whole lot. I was thinking this would remove the compound/polish residue, not sure this made any difference, and may have cause small scratches, not sure.

Then I wiped down with windex, and nervously applied the decals. Matching the large "Mercury" stickers took forever.

I put one on, and it went well, but putting on the other side and trying to get it "perfect" to match, was a tedious but important task. I went from, "this must be perfect" to "what can I live with".

Next..

I understand I need to wait a few weeks before I wax, so it can fully cure, is that true ? thoughts anyone ??

So, the result............

Bottom cowling...

20220709_175312.jpg

20220709_175304.jpg

Top Cowling......

20220709_220747.jpg

20220709_220813.jpg

20220709_220842.jpg

20220709_220901.jpg

20220710_003824.jpg

20220710_003901.jpg

Lets go fishing

20220710_130332.jpg
    20220710_131249.jpg
    20220710_130254.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    My point entirely Smidsy.
    Don't stress too much trying is what I meant.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean you don't try to achieve as close to a professional result as you can.

That's the challenge of every amateur DIYer, and if they get anywhere close, they are happy.

It may take then 5 times longer to achieve 80% of a professional look, but thats part of the fun.

Looking pretty schmick there smidsy. Perseverance paid off.

Excellent outcome. Thanks for the journey.

Give yourself a pat on the back smidsy, great result especially from a can, however gaz might tell you there’s no depth to that job with all his wisdom 😂😂 but seriously great job.

Still waiting for a quote where i said im selling transom jobs..

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Still waiting for a quote where i said im selling transom jobs..
    Yup its all about you isnt it fool..!..

Great job smidsy..!..she has come up like new...some serious perseverance there, man.,,,but may god help the first person who accidentally swings a snapper lead into the cowl though..

Well done Smidsy,
    Thanks for sharing.
    Frank

Ya gotta be happy with that.
    Thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    .,,,but may god help the first person who accidentally swings a snapper lead into the cowl though..
    They will be swimming home !

Nah, its a tool to be used, it will get scratched up over time & earn some battle scars

Quote Originally Posted by Cobbo1 View Post
    You do want a cutting compound to bring a shine back in after sanding the peel back, polish is a final application to protect, nothing else. Yes, the polish will affect how well the decal sticks, you want to do all your sanding/cutting to get your final shine, clean with windex, add decals, do your final polish. .
    Thanks again Cobbo for this advice, it was consistent with other discussions I had and is exactly what I did and it produced the results !

I'm just glad I didnt screw it up.

Smidsy your top main cowling came out beautiful absolute spot on, the two side cowlings are not as good as the top cowling but they are as good as Cobbos car door

Well done Smidsy

Smidsy your top main cowling came out beautiful absolute spot on, the two side cowlings are not as good as the top cowling
    Yep, agreed. I was looking at them close up on the motor today. The difference between the top and the bottom is I didnt sand the bottom "flat" before cutting.

I toyed with the idea of taking them off and sanding flat and cutting, now that I know, but f3ck that shit! There's fish to be caught !

Jobs done! Upper cowling is the priority anyway, that sells the whole boat.

Coincidently, launched the boat today, and got a "cool savage bro" and a comment from the guy next to me.

Yep, She's looking good

Got a decent feed also...

20220712_153026.jpg

Nice calimari's

Smidsy your top main cowling came out beautiful absolute spot on, the two side cowlings are not as good as the top cowling but they are as good as Cobbos car door

Well done Smidsy

I can't wait to see how your boat turns out with all your painting knowledge gaz 😂😂