Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alvey is no more

Alvey is no more

Got this in an email today..might be good to grab any parts you need before they shut up shop..

alvey gone.jpg

Re: Alvey is no more

A very sad example of the true state of the SMB market

Sad situation the loss of a grate Ausi icon

Quote Originally Posted by steve099 View Post
    A very sad example of the true state of the SMB market
    100% agree...sad but true...you would have to have rocks in your head to put your own money into manufacturing in Australia....

Although its one of the new key governments policies I wait expectantly to see how Albo intends to "Work with Aussie businesses to invest in manufacturing ".....

I hope they close without leaving creditors short.
    Jack.

Sad news.
    At least they cracked the ton after almost pulling the pin in their 99th year.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    100% agree...sad but true...you would have to have rocks in your head to put your own money into manufacturing in Australia....

Although its one of the new key governments policies I wait expectantly to see how Albo intends to "Work with Aussie businesses to invest in manufacturing ".....
    <rant removed>

I could go on for pages on this topic and my heart goes out to the folk at Alvey who gave it their best for as long as they could.

They said this last time and got a resurgence in sales just like that tile place always going out of business sale,it will be a shame if they do for real this time ,with all the money Clive wasted on his election fail he could have bought it and kept it going for a tax dodge and kept a Aussie icon alive.

The question is who here has bought or has a need for a alvey anymore ?
    I have overhead spin rods for the rocks and beach that I haven’t used in 20 years

Got a boat and just couldn’t be bothered fishing from those spots anymore

when they went busy last time I went and looked thinking I’d buy one to help them but I’d never use it

Quote Originally Posted by steve099 View Post
    <rant removed>

I could go on for pages on this topic and my heart goes out to the folk at Alvey who gave it their best for as long as they could.
    You should have left it..it was all true...all those things you mentioned plus now inflation, rising intesrest rates and a push for wage increases is going to make it even tougher still for manufacturers..

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    They said this last time and got a resurgence in sales just like that tile place always going out of business sale,it will be a shame if they do for real this time ,with all the money Clive wasted on his election fail he could have bought it and kept it going for a tax dodge and kept a Aussie icon alive.
    Yeah I dont know mate but I wonder if there decision to expand into overheads, spin reels and baitcasters but have them made in China had anything to do with it..I looked at them but then decided on Shimano talica instead (and saved $150)......a good decision in the end as those who have paid $800 for a high end overhead might struggle too get parts...

Still a shame though as their traditional reels and winches last forever..

More resurrections then the bible...

image.jpg

Good luck.
    Jack.

I saw a alvey baitcaster for sale a few months ago and nearly bought it for the nostalgia of it but there very heavy ,hopefully the new owners might get things right.

The side cast are very good and only needed new drag washers so they made no money on spare parts so it’s hard to make money on new sale of reels that last a life time.

My Alvey 650 Rosewood is my go to surf reel. Hasn’t had a huge amount of use but still looks almost new and works like a dream. I bought it in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    My Alvey 650 Rosewood is my go to surf reel. Hasn’t had a huge amount of use but still looks almost new and works like a dream. I bought it in 1968.
    I wish I got my grandfathers 6 and 6.5 inch ones after he died a reel for life.