Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone used these lifepo4 batteries?

Anyone used these lifepo4 batteries?

Currently have a new torn down haswing osapian 24v 80lb trolling motor getting the shaft extended this week

Looking to get a couple lifepo4 batteries looking at

DC Mont 100ah lifepo4

And

Max Power 110ah lifepo4

Anyone used either batteries?

Re: Anyone used these lifepo4 batteries?

I have not used those and in the past few weeks went through this topic with a mate of mine who is a battery engineer.

Things Ed said to be careful of warranty terms, especially for operating environments over 30c, ability to handle rugged deployments like marine and check how many prismatic cells they have. After talking it through with my mate, I opted for a 12v 100Ah with 128 prismatic cells which costs a lot more to manufacture compared to others that use say 4 like the cheaper options on the market at the moment .

Remember the importance of redundancy and what heat dissipation can do to electronics over time when you weigh up your options. Its not a 5 dollar upgrade.

Having a large array of cells allows for a wide range of happy operating temps and far better longevity as well as energy retention. I also got a sweet deal via Ed as he works for the local company that makes them. I went to him for help as its his area of expertise, not for a mates rate discount. that was a bonus though.

hope this helps.

9kgs sounds too light for 110amp MAX

The Mont is more in line with what you would expect for 100amp

My concern is the price ........ $400 is about half the price of a cheap LiFePO4 & about 1/3rd to 1/4 of a better known battery

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Possibly Pouch cells and not prismatic. No mention of thermal protection and only 2000 cycle whereas better quality ones around 4000 cycles.

These are a low to low-medium budget but they are the cheapest that will run in series, i found others but there a bit more starting around $600 each

I got offered a big looking lithium battery 24v 60ah but its huge andpassed it up, the price was $1250 but it was a walk in shop deal

Just thought 60ah is pretty small

The trolling motor is a brushed haswing osapian 80lb which is rated 840watts or 45amps now i think that is possibly maximum breaker amps and not the actual max running amps that may possibly be 35amps or less

Not quiet the 100ah i wanted to run but there are just so many lifepo4 batteries to chose from

I think i will go with 2x of these australian made lifepo4 50ah batteries, being australian made i don't think i can be shafted

https://www.aussiebatteries.com.au/a...-cycle-battery

You're only going with 2 x 50amps for a 24volt electric motor

That's well under 1 hr running on full

I dont know how you intend to use your leccy & the boat ...... but most people use 100amp & go up from there

I went from 100amp LiFePO4 to 125amp because in less than ideal conditions I was only getting about 6 hrs fishing time

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

nearly 90% of all lifepo4 batteries run the same cells. Just the BMS and construction is different.

If you're after a bargain. Buy a cheap one, cut the lid off and slap in a good quality BMS for $120 and check the cable terminations and you're good to go.

Apparently most if not all cells are made in china. It's another nightmare on what bms and connection quality they have. Does anyone know why some cannot be connected in parallel and others not? Is it the bms?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Alot of places dont reccommend connecting individual lifepo batteries in series . this is mainly due to charging and not discharging.

Heaps of people seem to do series connect and have no issues. Balance the batteries out before you connect them and I cant see any issues.

Parrallel might be a problem due to increase current through the BMS

however, If you're going to mess around series connecting batteries. You are better off doing a DIY 24/36v one yourself.

Most of the cheap batteries have a BMS that can’t handle the series connection. Better off buying decent cells and getting a decent BMS and do it yourself. That’s my plan.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Doing a battery my self diy i would know the quality going in but do i go 18650's or prisim cells?

I see ebay has stopped all 18560 cell sales, ali express only does up to 40 cells per delivery and a bit iffy to get good cells hard to return them

Nag from my understanding 24v 60ah is sufficent for a 20ft hull but its probably the smallest u would use, my motor will be hand controlled just for drifting 50-100 meters than zip back up and drift again so i dont think it would constantly be sucking power by gps operated motor to hold position

You just need 8 x 3.2v (100AH) brand name cells(Winston, Sinopoly, Calb etc) and a BMS and a balancer and bang up a battery box..... hook up the cells with some solid connectors and some light gauge wire to each cell for the balancer....its really that simple....

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG;[URL="tel:1697572"
    1697572[/URL]]You're only going with 2 x 50amps for a 24volt electric motor

That's well under 1 hr running on full

I dont know how you intend to use your leccy & the boat ...... but most people use 100amp & go up from there

I went from 100amp LiFePO4 to 125amp because in less than ideal conditions I was only getting about 6 hrs fishing time

Chris
    when he links them for 24v it’s 24v 50ah
    I’m using bigger then that to run sounders for two five hour sessions

Needs a 24v 100ah setup as you say

https://haswingoutdoor.com/osapian-80-33.html

don’t run it above 80 percent on lithium or you will burn the motor out.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    when he links them for 24v it’s 24v 50ah
    I’m using bigger then that to run sounders for two five hour sessions

Needs a 24v 100ah setup as you say

https://haswingoutdoor.com/osapian-80-33.html

don’t run it above 80 percent on lithium or you will burn the motor out.
    As they say - you can lead a horse to water

I've been running 24 vlt MKs since 2006 ..... lakes , offshore & tidal rivers ........ a 2 x 100amp is the bare minimum (with AGM) - 75amp with LiFePO4 ..... but 100plus if you use the boat for a full days fishing. As mentioned - I went up to 125amp LifePO4

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO