Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone used these lifepo4 batteries?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Anyone used these lifepo4 batteries?

After reading all this, I was in need of a new battery for my little boat to run my elec. The lecky is MK, 55lb. I figured I'd get what suits and keep it simple, got a 120aH, Century Deep Cycle, maint free but
    Oh yeah, it's heavy, so I'm going to offset the weight with a full esky And once it's strapped down in place, don't intend on moving it.
    Same set up works for my bigger boat, and worked on my old little tinny for years, took me about 10min of research to sort it... happy days, now I'm going out to use it
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    After reading all this, I was in need of a new battery for my little boat to run my elec. The lecky is MK, 55lb. I figured I'd get what suits and keep it simple, got a 120aH, Century Deep Cycle, maint free but
    Oh yeah, it's heavy, so I'm going to offset the weight with a full esky And once it's strapped down in place, don't intend on moving it.
    Same set up works for my bigger boat, and worked on my old little tinny for years, took me about 10min of research to sort it... happy days, now I'm going out to use it
    This is what I would do , keep it simple is the key mate . Some people have a habit of making things WAY more difficult than what it needs to be . On my boat I ran a deep cycle on my minkota and it lasted for years , kept it in a waterproof housing with a plug on it so I could plug a remote charger in too simple . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Hey Corry.
    What boat do you have the 55lb Minn Kota on?

There is nothing wrong with using an AGM for your leccy - they a relatively cheap & will last if they are looked after & not run down below 50% (often) - recharged at 10% charge rate

My experience with this though is that if you are only running a 100amp battery - it's easy to pull out more than 50 amps in a days fishing - specially if you are using the boat to troll or spotlocking . Then it's the charging - 10% usually ends up at 15-25% despite the technology not being suited to such a high charge rate.
    Over the past 16 years I destroyed a couple of pairs of Odyssey batteries - 24 volt system (just about the best AGMs available) .... mainly through discharge . I 've also had a 200amp (12 vlt) which lasted 6 years before I went back to 24 vlt - that battery hardly ever was discharged below 50% & was charged at less than 10% (15amp) ..... I still have that battery after about 11 years .

Now we have lithium technology - a battery half the weight for the same capacity , Can be discharged safely to 80-90% DOD , can be charged quickly 50% battery capacity (50amp charger for a 100amp battery) - You certainly do need a charger with the correct algorithm though ....... The downside is cost but they can last a long time if looked after properly.

My take is that if you can afford them (LiFePO4) use them.

As for how much you pay ..... there are too many horror stories with cheap batteries - sub par wiring & connections - used cells , not balanced , no temperature sensors , cheap BMS & poorly constructed ............ roll the dice kinda stuff . For me I would always stick to reputable / known brands .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Sounds like Gazza's new batteries are Super-dooper double bonus Lithiums...

dc mont.jpg

An interesting study on the world of dodgey batteries..there sure are some sneaky bugga's out there..

https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/15/10...%2C%2010%20%5D

Gazza did you end up replacing the boats starting batteries ?
    want to let everyone know how you saved so much so your fellow forum buddies might save a dollar too ?

im not going to the cesspool of tht and find it hilarious you thought over there was better then here.
    Is this to show off what you bought ?

https://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/s...RoCAnoQAvD_BwE

I have the larger version of this charger for home charging. If you drag the lithiums down too low it will take quite a while to charge them up again but they do a really good job. For this price you can’t go wrong I reckon.

Finding a decent on board charger will significantly increase your on water run times. It will also extend your battery life as it will reduce the number of times your batteries get really low. I’ll be getting the 36v version of one of these when I do the install on the Kevlacat.

https://www.yandina.com/troll12X24info.htm
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    https://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/s...RoCAnoQAvD_BwE

I have the larger version of this charger for home charging. If you drag the lithiums down too low it will take quite a while to charge them up again but they do a really good job. For this price you can’t go wrong I reckon.

Finding a decent on board charger will significantly increase your on water run times. It will also extend your battery life as it will reduce the number of times your batteries get really low. I’ll be getting the 36v version of one of these when I do the install on the Kevlacat.

https://www.yandina.com/troll12X24info.htm

Hey mate- real world experience... dont even bother. I have 175 hp twins an the amperage required to convert up from 12v to 36v doesnt throw much charge back into the 36v lithium i had... its just way easier to charge back at port... trust me.... My boat is larger than your kc as well and i run the 36v 112lb mk with enerdrive 36v lithiums.

I bought this last month, dearer now and out of stock
    https://www.kickassproducts.com.au/b...rger/KACHG1222
    I am very happy with it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    Hey mate- real world experience... dont even bother. I have 175 hp twins an the amperage required to convert up from 12v to 36v doesnt throw much charge back into the 36v lithium i had... its just way easier to charge back at port... trust me.... My boat is larger than your kc as well and i run the 36v 112lb mk with enerdrive 36v lithiums.
    the Yandina doesn’t convert to 36v. It’s a combiner that keeps 3x12v batteries separate when the outboard is running to charge them, then combines them to 36v for when you need to spot lock. There should be no loses in that process and the reviews from the Yanks that use them are all good. Can punch out 100amps if your outboard is up to it (33amps each).

My outboards are only putting put 40amps. If say 30 of that is available to the batteries then that’s 10amps each. That’s for me enough to warrant on board charging. Especially if I flatten them offshore then the run home at a minimum will boost the charge off the floor.

The one question I do have is, can I run both outboards/start batteries into the 1 combiner so that I can boost those amps to 60 total?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    the Yandina doesn’t convert to 36v. It’s a combiner that keeps 3x12v batteries separate when the outboard is running to charge them, then combines them to 36v for when you need to spot lock. There should be no loses in that process and the reviews from the Yanks that use them are all good. Can punch out 100amps if your outboard is up to it (33amps each).

My outboards are only putting put 40amps. If say 30 of that is available to the batteries then that’s 10amps each. That’s for me enough to warrant on board charging. Especially if I flatten them offshore then the run home at a minimum will boost the charge off the floor.

The one question I do have is, can I run both outboards/start batteries into the 1 combiner so that I can boost those amps to 60 total?
    I looked long and hard at the Trollbridge as well but came to the same conclusion that the only real time you are topping the batteries up a bit is on the way home...

So why not just top up the start and house battery on the return trip and recharge the leccy batteries at home..?...a 10 amp top-up is neither here nor there IMO..

If you find you need extra juice for the leccy then just buy bigger capacity batteries..nearly 3 years in and even with 3 day trips I have still never had mine less then half empty, though we are fairweather fisherman.....

The savings were worth the purchase with 2 years warranty
    Attached Images Attached Images

11 years from a AGM? Google suggest AGM only last 2-3 years gee u got a good run, for me having to recharge after a day out i will be to lazy it will take me 3 days to put it back on charge and my boat is in the backyard so i can't run a extension lead out there unsupervised for 10 hours my dog will chew it so i have to carry the batteries inside each time

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au;[URL="tel:1697704"
    1697704[/URL]]11 years from a AGM? Google suggest AGM only last 2-3 years gee u got a good run, for me having to recharge after a day out i will be to lazy it will take me 3 days to put it back on charge and my boat is in the backyard so i can't run a extension lead out there unsupervised for 10 hours my dog will chew it so i have to carry the batteries inside each time
    Have two lead acid deep cycles that are over 8 years old still in the shed and hold a voltage under load

your history of batteries and stuffing them through neglect and abuse is not reflective of how long batteries can last when looked after
    lock the dogs up for a bit while they charge why is everything a drama for you

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    11 years from a AGM? Google suggest AGM only last 2-3 years gee u got a good run, for me having to recharge after a day out i will be to lazy it will take me 3 days to put it back on charge and my boat is in the backyard so i can't run a extension lead out there unsupervised for 10 hours my dog will chew it so i have to carry the batteries inside each time
    Where there is a will - there is a way ....... suspend the lead off the ground

11 years is a big run - no doubt ....... Depends on how much it is used - it may have only been cycled 150 times over that period . also if well maintained & not drawn down too far - quite common

I've seen someone kill their AGM in a year ........ they would flatten it & leave it for days / weeks before recharging

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO