Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone used these lifepo4 batteries?

Re: Anyone used these lifepo4 batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Not sure what your trying to point out Digs care to elaborate? That thread was and is a AGM vs Lithium

This thread was clearly marked "has anyone used these lithium batteries"
    BTW, welcome back Gazza. I was pointing out that on THT (yes, we lnow who aussieskipper is)it was mentioned that 2 x 60ah LiFePo4 batteries would last for your desired time on the water.
    I also pointed out that the OP in THT used his boat on backwater lakes, which are smooth water lakes and no offshore ocean waters.

Once again, you have asked for advice on here and plenty of worthwhile advice has been given, however you are stuck on the tram tracks again as you keep trying to justify your actions and totally ignoring advice from those with experience.

Good luck on your less than minimalistic approach to your issue.

What’s wrong with a normal leccy battery at a fraction of the cost ?

They seem to be the better cells to buy Lovey but i think there days are numbered i came across a website last night that i cant recall but it said those white/beige calb cells are no longer made
    i just spoke with Tim at Ev Works. He has a limited number of 100Ah cells of his own branded EvWorks batteries. He says very similar to the Calb batteries in build and performance. $500 gets you 4 cells so $1000 will get you a 24v battery. I’m thinking I’ll go the same way myself for a truck battery.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna;[URL="tel:1697663"
    1697663[/URL]]What’s wrong with a normal leccy battery at a fraction of the cost ?
    Well when it’s unsecured banging around on the front deck of the boat it won’t hurt people as much or spill acid everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    What’s wrong with a normal leccy battery at a fraction of the cost ?
    Maybe the best post in this thread yet. $300 will get a reasonable AGM which will give Gazza his 7 hours on the leccy in Blackwater lakes, a few hours less offshore.
    Have I scared Gazza off again. I should refrain from posting the obvious.

Edit:
    Sorry ,$600, 2x 100ah AGMs

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Maybe the best post in this thread yet. $300 will get a reasonable AGM which will give Gazza his 7 hours on the leccy in Blackwater lakes, a few hours less offshore.

Edit:
    i haven’t done much analysis of my TM. But in calm conditions it was running on 3-4 to keep up with current. 5-6 when the light winds pulled me off track. 6-7 when in the Great Sandy Straights with strong current and no wind protection though 12knt breeze. If the average was say 60% of capacity for Gazza that around 20A an hour. If you don’t want to kill your AGM you don’t want to drop it below 50%. That gives him 2.5hours of run time. Have I got something mixed up in the calculations?

Yep - picked up a DC Mont 100ah last month off eBay. Good news is that my charger and discharge meter confirm capacity at slightly over 100ah. No bad news yet, but the battery BMS is only rated to 80 amps max, so I won’t be using it for anything too powerful.
    Specs say it can be hooked up in 24V series or 3 x parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    i just spoke with Tim at Ev Works. He has a limited number of 100Ah cells of his own branded EvWorks batteries. He says very similar to the Calb batteries in build and performance. $500 gets you 4 cells so $1000 will get you a 24v battery. I’m thinking I’ll go the same way myself for a truck battery.
    Yeah that sounds good lovey for a 24v set up i will have another look at his web site

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post

Edit:
    From what i have gathered digs and im not a electrical bloke

A lithium over AGM last 2x times longerand going 24volt over 12volt you gain 2x the duration so really i will be a head x4 with my 24volt elec leg and a lithium battery

Maybe i got it all wrong?

Reason i dont want to go AGM is lifting those big suckers in and out of the boat

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    Yep - picked up a DC Mont 100ah last month off eBay. Good news is that my charger and discharge meter confirm capacity at slightly over 100ah. No bad news yet, but the battery BMS is only rated to 80 amps max, so I won’t be using it for anything too powerful.
    Specs say it can be hooked up in 24V series or 3 x parallel.
    DC Mont was on my list its a cheap battery or rather one of the cheaper ones on ebay, are u able to weigh the battery to confirm its weight?

I'm reading some 100ah 12v lithiums are weighing 8-10kgs when the prisim lifepo4 cells are 3.3kgs each so it raises some concern wether the batteries have large prisim cells or actually inferior 18650 lifepo4 cylinder cells

Wrong, putting batteries in series or parallel doesn't automatically double longevity. Your first premise is fine but you can't double it by changing configuration. In fact if you get quality lifepo4 batteries you can get easily 4 times but you also need to buy the chargers to suit.

Question, why would you be removing them, I'd be charging them insitu. If weight is an issue, go lithium, buy the necessary charger and live with it. Cost a consideration, which is what you've indicated then go AGM.

I will be going lithium down the track (for other reasons including CPAP machines for my daughter but happy to stay with AGM as currently have gotten 7 years out of them due to "due diligence" on DOD and recharging processes.

Haven’t measured the weight, but the spec 10kg feels about right. Much easier to cart than an AGM. I’ve previously purchased 300ah voltax lithium batteries at around 30kg (still going well after a couple of years), so this seems about the norm.

I have just bought 2x 12v lithiums for less than $304 each delivered, done some fine print reading on ebay and flogged the ball out of the park

I just knocked $191 off the DC Mont 100ah lithiums which is crazy

This makes the DC Mont batteries the cheapest batteries all of ebay

There are some $500-$600 lithium batteries that use regular lead acid chargers and will charge a lithium battery to 97% charge Digs

There are some $500-$600 lithium batteries that use regular lead acid chargers and will charge a lithium battery to 97% charge Digs
    It’s not about how much they charge it’s how they charge. How many amps they allow in at certain levels of charge. You can get a decent lithium charger for cheap. It will be slow but it will do the job.