Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone used these lifepo4 batteries?

Re: Anyone used these lifepo4 batteries?

Main reason for a electric offshore is spotlock
    if not spotlock capable and have a four stroke just use that and save all the hassle and cost.

even the two stroke didn’t put fish off I just use to leave it running while drifting past fish traps or over spots.
    could have turned it off but figured it’s only fuel and hey it’s running why risk turning it off lol

Haswing trolling motors are designed to be ran on lithium batteries, they are the only ones on the market in OZ

I dont wanna rely solely on my mercury not after it catastrophiclly blowing the powerhead at 97 hours

We fish in close to the rocks for now just geeting a feel for the boat

The electric motor will be good as a back up if the main engine fails in that close to the cliffs

You can see it in the background

I would rather run up hours on a $500 trolling motor than run up hours on my outboard

Your call your the expert.
    there a reason every decent brand went brushless with their better offerings Garmin force lowrance ghost etc

i can’t work out from the video where you are but if trolling ocean cliff faces I don’t know anyone who gets in close to anything facing the ocean and turns their main engine off.

I am no expert, there were a few boats out there the other day some anchored some drifting there was no current at all we drifted 100 meters over 35mins that is what got me thinking of a tiller handle electric bow motor, the americans love the tiller bow motors but mostly for lake fishing

NAG the motor i have isnt listed on a haswing web site its a brushed model with a 11.8" diameter propeller its huge may be quiet different to a minn kota, i have a watersnake and the prop is tiny as with small fins, so i think my haswing osapian brushed motor will have tons of torque to spin that huge prop i think i recall reading the prop spins at just below 600rpm where as other trolling motors are 1500rpm it only draws 45amps that is switching the breaker point so likely it only draws 35amps at max setting, 60ah 24v i was told by a guy online he runs this combo and gets several hours per day over a few days on a 20' boat

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I dont wanna rely solely on my mercury not after it catastrophiclly blowing the powerhead at 97 hours
    Are you talking about the mercury you just rebuilt..?

Has it blown up already...?

I also dont understand what you want to use the leccy for..?

Why do you need it if you are just drifting..?...as mentioned the main use in open water is basically as an spotlock anchor...

I dont want to run the mercury restarting for a 50m run or leaving the engine running all day even the excesive idling, also dont want to run up the hours

Elec leg is good for squidding, downrigging at half the outboards speed, bow controlled so i can just whip out of a bad situation

I was getting the haswing 55lb gps cayman (all i could afford) today but i changed my plans a few days ago and chose manual bow steer

I am no expert, there were a few boats out there the other day some anchored some drifting there was no current at all we drifted 100 meters over 35mins that is what got me thinking of a tiller handle electric bow motor, the americans love the tiller bow motors but mostly for lake fishing
    How often do you get those conditions ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Your choice but for Under a litre a hour idling is nothing interms of hours or devaluing what you have.
    It’s been shown you value safety very little so I doubt you understand the risk of fishing washes Bommies and headlands

i linked the specs to the electric you bought on page 1.
    maybe in 1980 they did when that’s all you could afford, the yanks love their high end bow mounts just like the Aussie’s do
    The big tillers go on their big canoes and kayaks for the big river trips they do loaded up with camping gear weak bear and guns

Im not to sure, me and mates have fished this location quit a bit but we always troll lures thru there, from memory this was my first time drifting that spot we did have a westerly wind on a east coast cliff face but surprisingly there was no southerly current

This is the motor i have https://www.kayaks2fish.com/haswing-...ard-motor-840w its all torn down and i can confirm its a brushed motor as i had to remove the brush holder to remove the armiture

Heres the brush holder
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the motor i have https://www.kayaks2fish.com/haswing-...ard-motor-840w its all torn down and i can confirm its a brushed motor as i had to remove the brush holder to remove the armiture
    Kayaks are not boats .....

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I dont want to run the mercury restarting for a 50m run or leaving the engine running all day even the excesive idling, also dont want to run up the hours
    I reckon you will try it once and then quickly realize how ineffective a 80lb leccy with 60 AH of battery is for moving a 20 ft glass boat back to the top of your drift against the wind and current....

You will just start the outboard and run back to your mark and start the drift again..

As mentioned, on the ocean in any conditions that arent calm with no breeze or current they are good for spotlocking and thats about it, unless you want to flog its guts out or burn out your plugs and wiring....

Its like a glorified whipper snipper so you need to be realistic about its capabilities....