Thread: North Queensland fishing - August

North Queensland fishing - August

Hi All

I've got a trip to Etty Bay ( Innisfail) planned for mid August & need to commit in the next few weeks .

I've never done a trip north so early (or late if you look at it that way) - it's normally something I do in Oct or Nov .

I'm hoping for some weather windows to be able to head out to the reef . It will be a case of fishing reef flats & edges - maybe some deeper water . We have options to fish around nearby islands if the winds blow .

I'll be towing the Barcrusher up - 20190405_104142.jpg

My understanding is that we shouldn't see much rain & winds can drop .

Anyhow ... just wondering if any of you locals or experienced NQ fishoes can comment on the above - offer advice , target species for that time of year other options (river & creek) . ...... or go do something else .

I've can always change my plan before I pay for my site at Etty Bay.

appreciate your help
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: North Queensland fishing - August

That time of year up here is possibly the worst for weather opportunities due to trade winds.

if you can get to the reef fishing is always decent. but i find the creeks and inshore stuff can suffer at times. That time of year can get cold plugs of water flow in and turns the fish fight off.

I looked at some historical data for Airlie some time back - this data was taken over 9 years ..... 50-60% fishable days (on average during a 2 week period)

Now I dont know how this translates to Innisfail area ....... but you look at a lot of those youtube videos filmed at that time of year & they have some magnificent days .

Anyhow ..... hence the questions ( might try to find data around innisfail)

But thanks for the input

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Trade winds will have a long term effect at that time with a few doable days in that time frame if your lucky , Disorderly will give you a better idea as he lives up that way I’m just going on what I experienced over the last 3 years. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Trade winds will have a long term effect at that time with a few doable days in that time frame if your lucky , Disorderly will give you a better idea as he lives up that way I’m just going on what I experienced over the last 3 years. Matt
    Thanks Matt

What months did it improve (Sept / Oct / Nov ) ? ...... what would be your pick ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Spent a couple of gorgeous flat days at the Reef on the full moon last week....

Nice to be able to just sit back and cruise with a cold beer while the skipper got us home..

Will post up some wind data when i get a chance..

20220517_143935.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks Matt

What months did it improve (Sept / Oct / Nov ) ? ...... what would be your pick ?

Chris
    The last 3 years in Cooktown it came more predictable around end September onward but with the way the weather has been probably October November will see you get good weather hopefully. https://weatherspark.com/y/144353/Av...s%20per%20hour.
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Spent a couple of gorgeous flat days at the Reef on the full moon last week....

Nice to be able to just sit back and cruise with a cold beer while the skipper got us home..

Will post up some wind data when i get a chance..

20220517_143935.jpg
    That would be awesome - thank you

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I had a look at some data for Dunk Island for the past 5 or 6 years

According the this our timing appears to be not to flash ( criteria <20km / hr @ midday)

Mid Oct appears to be a much better option - though there has been a year or two when it's blown .

I'll do a little more checking & go from there .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

The first 2 tables show last years August readings for Lucinda, which i use as its simliar for tradewinds to Mission and for comparison a reef off Cairns..

With the tradewinds Cairns is always about 5 knots extra compared to Townsville to Innisfail and heading further north to Cooktown/Cape Flattery can add a few more knots onto that..

The third table is during october and the trend then turns to more Northerly winds and what happens then is light winds in the morning which turns to a stiff 15 knots inshore in the arvo...which is OK because you generally just get it on the trip back from the reef from about 25 kms out when it starts to get quite choppy ..

The graph shows the winds at the outer reef (we only got out 3 times during August last year ) but July/first week of August was much better then expected (unusual) with many low wind days and we got out quite a bit including overnighters and also had plenty of fun on the inshore Mackies..

IMO, June,July,August is a big gamble (we can easily get a week or 2 or 3 of solid SE winds) but once the Tradewinds slow down late September/ October then this is the best time because the reef fish are still on the chew before it gets too hot and Barra are still available before the closure. But also remember there is a 4 day reef fish closure from 22 october..

All that said, there might be a week solid of nice weather in early August and the mackies and small Black marlin might be jumping into the boat but you certainly cant count on it and its a long way to drive on a gamble..and the nearer you are to Hinchinbrook island the better as the SE winds are usually a bit lighter there and you have protection from all the islands to at least be able to get out for a fish ifs its blown out elsewhere..

wind llucinda.jpgwind arlington.jpg

wind lucinda2.jpgwind myrmidon.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    The first 2 tables show last years August readings for Lucinda, which i use as its simliar for tradewinds to Mission and for comparison a reef off Cairns..

With the tradewinds Cairns is always about 5 knots extra compared to Townsville to Innisfail and heading further north to Cooktown/Cape Flattery can add a few more knots onto that..

The third table is during october and the trend then turns to more Northerly winds and what happens then is light winds in the morning which turns to a stiff 15 knots inshore in the arvo...which is OK because you generally just get it on the trip back from the reef from about 25 kms out when it starts to get quite choppy ..

The graph shows the winds at the outer reef (we only got out 3 times during August last year ) but July/first week of August was much better then expected (unusual) with many low wind days and we got out quite a bit including overnighters and also had plenty of fun on the inshore Mackies..

IMO, June,July,August is a big gamble (we can easily get a week or 2 or 3 of solid SE winds) but once the Tradewinds slow down late September/ October then this is the best time because the reef fish are still on the chew before it gets too hot and Barra are still available before the closure. But also remember there is a 4 day reef fish closure from 22 october..

All that said, there might be a week solid of nice weather in early August and the mackies and small Black marlin might be jumping into the boat but you certainly cant count on it and its a long way to drive on a gamble..and the nearer you are to Hinchinbrook island the better as the SE winds are usually a bit lighter there and you have protection from all the islands to at least be able to get out for a fish ifs its blown out elsewhere..

wind llucinda.jpgwind arlington.jpg

wind lucinda2.jpgwind myrmidon.jpg
    Awesome stuff - thanking you kindly

Starting to think that a mid October trip will be the go - need to see if I can get a booking at Etty Bay

Chris

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris
    We went to mission in 2020 in mid August for a week of great weather but it blew up the week after so we were lucky.
    Last year we had booked the same week but had to pull out due to covid restrictions but it blew a solid SE for the whole week so we missed a bullet there.
    I am very keen to go back but like you am worried about the long haul for a week of ordinary weather.
    Mind you we did have the inside of hinchinbrook as our plan B.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Ausfish mobile app

This is the first year since 1974 and the second in 100 years where there’s been a negative Indian Ocean Dipole and a double La Niña on the east coast. Winter is going to be way wetter than usual and I’d expect that to be wetter than usual moving out of winter. Hoping for better than usual weather earlier in the year would be a massive punt this year I’d expect.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.