Thread: NMEA Engine interface to Garmin

NMEA Engine interface to Garmin

Hi all, been a few years since I had much time to dabble with boats, and this forum, but I have now sort of retired and need to keep myself busy. I have bought a 4.5 polycraft to use as a tow behind tender/ fishing boat for a larger cruiser and I want to display engine info (2018 Honda bf60) on a Garmin 95sv. I have most of the nmea components to complete this but I need an interface cable for the Honda. I actually thought I would make my own out of a std ext. cable. That looks easy enough, but I wonder if anyone knows if I need to connect the + and - to the engine, does the motor need the power supplied through the network to supply the info, or can I just connect the 2 data wires? Also is there any reason I could not just splice the network power supply into the drop cable for the Garmin instead of having a separate t pce for the power input? tia , Brad

Re: NMEA Engine interface to Garmin

Quote Originally Posted by Qlder1 View Post
    Hi all, been a few years since I had much time to dabble with boats, and this forum, but I have now sort of retired and need to keep myself busy. I have bought a 4.5 polycraft to use as a tow behind tender/ fishing boat for a larger cruiser and I want to display engine info (2018 Honda bf60) on a Garmin 95sv. I have most of the nmea components to complete this but I need an interface cable for the Honda. I actually thought I would make my own out of a std ext. cable. That looks easy enough, but I wonder if anyone knows if I need to connect the + and - to the engine, does the motor need the power supplied through the network to supply the info, or can I just connect the 2 data wires? Also is there any reason I could not just splice the network power supply into the drop cable for the Garmin instead of having a separate t pce for the power input? tia , Brad
    Ive sort of got the same question about the garminfuel sensor. Do you need to connect the power wires or can i rely just on the cable to the NMEA socket on the back of the 95sv. Only want fuel flow and fuel used, not gauge levels etc. Sorry to hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlder1 View Post
    Just buy a Garmin interface cable, at least you wont risk damage to the ECU
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

You cannot fit the Garmin cable direct to the NMEA socket in the back of the 95SV

You need to setup an NMEA network in your boat...get a starter kit from Whitworths... and a lowrance one will do the job around $79

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Ive sort of got the same question about the garminfuel sensor. Do you need to connect the power wires or can i rely just on the cable to the NMEA socket on the back of the 95sv. Only want fuel flow and fuel used, not gauge levels etc. Sorry to hijack.
    Garry

Spaniard I hear you’ve retired , is your business still up and running . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Just buy a Garmin interface cable, at least you wont risk damage to the ECU
    thks for the reply Spaniard King....yeah, might be easier if I lived somewhere that actually had items like this stocked. Can't even buy a t-pce in this town.... ended up making a interface cable with all 4 wires connected (I spent a lot of yrs in the electrical trade), and plugged into a std nmea 2000 network, works great.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Spaniard I hear you’ve retired , is your business still up and running . Matt
    Matt I have trained both my sons and they have taken over my business so the wife and I can begin our path around this great country of ours. Heading off in Jan 2023 with no time frame to adhere to
    Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Matt I have trained both my sons and they have taken over my business so the wife and I can begin our path around this great country of ours. Heading off in Jan 2023 with no time frame to adhere to
    Congratulations,enjoy you deserve it . I’m sure your boys are onto it you have an excellent rep on the Goldie
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......