Thread: FG knot or SC knot

FG knot or SC knot

Found this SC knot it’s suppose to be better than the FG knot ……is any one using it …..,it’s support to be smoother through the guides but I used to tie something similar in my early dynemia spectra days but lost a eyelet one day and never used it again ,I’ve seen the SC knot tied 2 ways one just looks like the FG but faster and easyer has any one been using this SC knot on heaveyer leaders, I just use a uni knot for light leaders but want to use something different for 50 to 60 lb leader.

Re: FG knot or SC knot

I use both FG n FC knot and find both as good as the other . Depending on how many onboard and weather as to which to use and each near as fast to tie as the other.
    With the SC knot you must do your half hitch at the end and pull up on the leader to stop it sliding and really put an effort on both braid n leader tension to tighten then add your other half hitches n finishing hitch etc.
    The only two leader to braid knots I use. To stop the leader tag end from clipping on the guides I wet n burn with a lighter the tag end of the leader n push it against the knot.
    No probs that way with guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    I use both FG n FC knot and find both as good as the other . Depending on how many onboard and weather as to which to use and each near as fast to tie as the other.
    With the SC knot you must do your half hitch at the end and pull up on the leader to stop it sliding and really put an effort on both braid n leader tension to tighten then add your other half hitches n finishing hitch etc.
    The only two leader to braid knots I use. To stop the leader tag end from clipping on the guides I wet n burn with a lighter the tag end of the leader n push it against the knot.
    No probs that way with guides.
    I cheat & use a drop of a UV curable polymer live "Loon UV Knot sense" or "Solarez " - just smooth it over the knot & expose to UV light (at night) or daylight . Using the stuff in daytime you do have to use it in the shade & shield from sunlight as it cures very quickly. Anyhow the stuff is flexible & just does a good job of smoothing out your knot incl covering the leader tag .

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I cheat & use a drop of a UV curable polymer live "Loon UV Knot sense" or "Solarez " - just smooth it over the knot & expose to UV light (at night) or daylight . Using the stuff in daytime you do have to use it in the shade & shield from sunlight as it cures very quickly. Anyhow the stuff is flexible & just does a good job of smoothing out your knot incl covering the leader tag .

chris
    Care to upload a Pic of the stuff Chris??...

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Care to upload a Pic of the stuff Chris??...
    Here they are

I started using them in my barra fishing days - but use them now on all my leader knots ....... a tube will last a couple of years & unlike supaglue leaves a soft pliable cover over the knot .
    Well worth it & not that expensive ..... Solarez is about $10 -$15 a tube

Attached Images Attached Images
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks Mate , will suss em out.

Never tied an SC knot. Since I mastered the FC knot I’ve never had one break. The double uni was a joke in comparison.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Never tied an SC knot. Since I mastered the FC knot I’ve never had one break. The double uni was a joke in comparison.
    I presume your meaning the FG knot ??, Mate ive had a few let go at the knot end but from my error of not tensioning the knot ample enough which is very important to do so ey.
    The FG is top on the list for me followed by the SC knot . Like you ive practiced the FG to the pointy i can have one up n dusted under a minute but never rush just the same ey..

Since I was shown how to tie an FG knot I've felt no need to try any others . I can honestly say that I have never had the knot fail - the braid or leader pops first . Gotta be happy with that Add a drop of Solarez smooth over & you have a secure knot that slides through the guides .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

It’s amazing how that FG not can be so slim and yet so strong. Great on the thinner lines too
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    It’s amazing how that FG not can be so slim and yet so strong. Great on the thinner lines too
    Totally agree - i've tied it using 4lb braid / 6lb FC ........ the biggest problem was seeing it when trying to tie it snapping the line when pulling it up ..... that's a bugger too

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO