Thread: When is it time for an upgrade ?

When is it time for an upgrade ?

Hey All

Just interested to hear on your thoughts as to when you consider its time for an upgrade when it comes to marine electronics - particularly sounders

what's your driver ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: When is it time for an upgrade ?

When new features come out that are not on my current devices and I deem necessary for what I do.
    oh, affordability is a consideration also
    would LOVE live target but not the current cost

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hey All

Just interested to hear on your thoughts as to when you consider its time for an upgrade when it comes to marine electronics - particularly sounders

what's your driver ?

Chris
    Cost and need i guess . When i first purchased my current rig the first thing i said was "need to get rid of this sounder " Hummingbird 999 . So user unfriendly that it aint funny.
    BUT, does the job for what i do , got a wee bit used to it and for the time being it can tag along till other needs for the Boat are fullfilled . Like more shade for instance and either an electric anchor winch or electric motorunless offcourse this Unit shytes itself in the meantime.

Cost is certainly a barrier for me - specially when I'm considering replacing 2 x 12" Sounders with either 2 12" Simrads or sticking with Lowrance & going with 2 x 12" HDS Live .

My current HDS Gen 3 touch are doing the job - but I do like the resolution & screens of the newer models .... certainly they are better in bright conditions & wearing sunglasses.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think the thing that would do it for me is the new “live” technology. That will reach a point that will be irresistible somewhere in the future. Assuming I ever got the boat wet again.

When ever I’ve forgotten the horrific cost of the last setup I purchased
    I normally replace boats before the sounders have needed upgrading

fishing for cod pushed me to Garmin for the live scope this time round.

only upgrade if I need a bigger screen because of my eye site getting worse or if needing a new feature I think is worth while like livescope
    Tbh your average fishing all you need is depth and a gps all the rest is bling we fool ourselves into needing

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post

How has that gone ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    When ever I’ve forgotten the horrific cost of the last setup I purchased
    I normally replace boats before the sounders have needed upgrading

only upgrade if I need a bigger screen because if my eyesore getting worse or if needing a new feature I think is worth while like livescope
    Tbh your average fishing all you need is depth and a gps all the rest is bling we fool ourselves into needing
    I certainly see the advantages for impoundment fishing ....... cod , bass , yellas & barra - side imagining was a revelation ....... live scope etc would be amazing .

A lot of these things don't work so well offshore - swell etc

I've tried (have) 3D & it's pretty useless

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by gunna;[URL="tel:1697379"
    1697379[/URL]]How has that gone ?
    Well I have found free swimming cod yellas Redfin carp but has taken some practice

Catching them is another thing

and nagg yes they have depth limitations but they get used in the salt too jewfish bream round pylons and so on

I find its only worth updating when there is a new transducer that really helps out your fishing style.