Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over priced & over rated .

Over priced & over rated .

Went for a bit of a look around a few tackle stores yesterday to replenish stocks of terminal tackle after the Evans Head trip . Really happy to pick up a spare spool for my 8000 Thunnus for $45 -

Anyhow not that I really need it - but looked at a few 30-50lb spin rods - particularly Wilson Venoms & Samurai ...... These are two my favorite factory rolled rods - but wow ....... not at those prices $600 plus is just over the top (personal opinion) No matter how much I like them - the Wilson Venom certainly isn't worth it . The Samurai at $640 .... certainly uses the best components (great blanks) but heck - $500-$550 realistically .

At these prices - you'd certainly consider custom made , wouldn't you ?

What are some of the other gear that you guys have seen & said - 'Yeh , Nah !"

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Over priced & over rated .

Have to agree with you Chris Venoms were around $450 a year ago and even then I thought it a bit rich. I was looking for a light flattie flick rod and picked up a Frogleys Arrowz in 3 to 8 lb, priced down to $109. Thought that wasn't too bad a price. All the other guides looked good except the tip. When getting into those tiny tips and runners you need nothing for the line to catch on. This tip had the bracing come back as a V formation on top of the rod, perfect for catching that stray loop. Hada rod with similar tip before where SP labded in a tree and a quick flick to remove it snapped thetip off. You guessed, line looped around and caught it. I might still get it and bind and seal that bit to reduce chance of it occurring.

Yeah rods are very expensive at the moment , I was looking for a replacement for my s10 egrell which needs stripping and rebinding so I went and looked at a few Daiwa rods and found the Spartan range where nice but at 699 it was out of my range . Luckily a bloke I know who is a trounament adviser for Daiwa gave me a heads up that he gets a great discount which I took advantage of and it ended up close to half price , I settled for a Spartan S73-2/3 to put my 4500 saltiga on . Beautiful rod but certainly not worth rrp in my opinion
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

All Rods n Reels with a bit of a Nametag are overpriced far as im concerned.
    If i want a particular Rod or Reel i wait till theres a sale on it or dont buy n most ti.es works in my fVour.

Picked up one of the new Loomis Pro Blue rods in a shop the other day. Price tag said $699. It was rated 15-50lb. It felt like a 10-20lb rod to me. $699 ridiculous.

I paid $425 for my Venom 15-40lb rod a few years ago when they were on special. Not a chance I would cough up $600 for one now. I think the Venoms are locally made which would drive the price up.

venoms are kiwi made blanks which are imported and rolled by wilson themselves here in aus.
    same pricing as millers stuff that is all made overseas and he just put up $50 per rod as the last cod freak i bought was $350 and got one last week for $399

everything else is now 4-600 for anything semi decent and all imported, everything's gone up i don't know why rods would be exempt from the realities of life.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Yeah rods are very expensive at the moment , I was looking for a replacement for my s10 egrell which needs stripping and rebinding so I went and looked at a few Daiwa rods and found the Spartan range where nice but at 699 it was out of my range . Luckily a bloke I know who is a trounament adviser for Daiwa gave me a heads up that he gets a great discount which I took advantage of and it ended up close to half price , I settled for a Spartan S73-2/3 to put my 4500 saltiga on . Beautiful rod but certainly not worth rrp in my opinion
    Get some quality fuji guides and take the S10 to Al Bundy hes got nothing better to do and he will make it pretty for you.

Ive built all my own rods and i can tell you that getting blanks and all the nice fruit to build with used to cost any where from 2to3 hundred and that's before you put the time in to make it and that was a long time ago, now our dollor is poor so importing is more labour every thing has gone up as well as carbon,have a look at United composite blanks very good but over $200 for a blank and the another $200 plus for a good set of fuji guides and corks and reel seat butt cap, a decent size 30 first guide will cost you a lot of money $30 and up to $90 so it all adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Get some quality fuji guides and take the S10 to Al Bundy hes got nothing better to do and he will make it pretty for you.
    Guides are still all good AlPS I believe they just need reseating and binding , yeah I’m going to talk to BUNDY about it but I’m in no hurry now I scored the Spartan which is more suited to my charter fishing . Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    Picked up one of the new Loomis Pro Blue rods in a shop the other day. Price tag said $699. It was rated 15-50lb. It felt like a 10-20lb rod to me. $699 ridiculous.

I paid $425 for my Venom 15-40lb rod a few years ago when they were on special. Not a chance I would cough up $600 for one now. I think the Venoms are locally made which would drive the price up.
    I have the exact same Venom (15-40lb) & like you bought it when on discount around 4 years ago .

Now I'm not 100% sure but I believe the guide train has been downgraded - shiny steel ones .......

I think you are right on being locally made but no way would I pay $600 for one

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

So do we need to throw a slab of beer your way to get your mates name

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    So do we need to throw a slab of beer your way to get your mates name
    No chance not losing my good thing mate sorry

No chance not losing my good thing mate sorry
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    I have a contact who gets my beer for a really ridiculous low price and I'm not giving her away either.

I went to the Jones Tackle store grand opening at Stafford on the weekend, was a 20% off opening sale but i found it a farce, Siglon pe8 10lb braid that i get for 34$ at Tackleworld was 49$ at Jones, the Eco gear bream blades were 25$, i get them for 21$ at Tackleworld, needless to say i wont be back..

I have recently rebuilt 5 Osprey 30's and 60's overheads for a couple of guys. One brought me 2 brand new ones from the store to re position the guides. $400 ish rods. Who ever came up with the guide placement for the overhead series... well you cant fix stupid. Needed to make the 6ft rods into 9 guide rods for them to work as required. At $20 plus the cost of the guide its a expensive rod by the end. Main thing is all customer's where wrapped...
    I've checked out some Loomis rods in the shop, $$$, and couldn't believe the guides and reel seat where not aligned on some of the overhead rods. Not sure if this is the norm now but no the way I do things.