Thread: Bait Caster reel or Spin reel ?

Exclamation Bait Caster reel or Spin reel ?

Hi All,

So I'm at a cross roads with my choice to go bait caster.

I recently went through the pain of learning how to use a bait caster. I'm still learning of course, and still get birds nests, but I got it to a stage where my brake is at 30%, with no tension on the reel, and just using my thumb.

I fish on a boat in coastal waters off of Perth, Cockburn sound, drifting for squid in 2 to 10 meters, with jigs hanging over, flicking a squid rod with a squid jig or a bait caster with a lure for a fish.

Or I might anchor & burley over a structure, like 5 fathom reef, usually in 10 meters.

While the bait is in the water, I wanted to flick lures repeatedly to keep me busy.

With lures in open sea, distance is everything. I got 18lb dangan braid on this combo, a Shakespeare Agility $80 ...

BCF_366614-00_hi-res.jpg BCF_366614-01_hi-res.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Thing is, my distance is not good, and I'm kind of thinking, what's the point ?

I'm still suffering the odd bird nests etc, and casting shorter than if I put the same jig on my light squid rod ? I'm not using light lures so that's a limitation, I'm using metal slices, and sometimes a medium weight hardbody.

Either, I give up on bait casters altogether, or I put money into it, and buy a $200+ combo for lighter jigs and better casting distance (any recommendations) ?

Before I decide, I wanted to hear what more experienced bait caster users think, would I be wasting my money, and bait casters are more suited to river fishing ?

Re: Bait Caster reel or Spin reel ?

Total waist of time using a bait caster unless you require ultra accuracy casting snags.

Spin reel is so much more versatile. about 95% as accurate as a bait caster.
    Bait caster is very 1 dimensional reel.

Larger bait caster like Lexa is gaining traction for bottom bouncing with 50lb line. but for lighter stuff spin is by far better option IMO

what lures are you casting around in 5-10m of water ?
    probably a waste of energy depending on what your trying to achieve

Agree with flex. Unless you’re on a casting deck with the electric in the water needing to drop a lure on a dime around snags go spin reel all day.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Love baitcasters .... when I'm not hating them .

With your style of fishing though - a baitcaster is the wrong choice & offers little or no advantage with your intended fishing style .

Baitcasters are really for when you need short accurate casts

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Agree with al above replies, my barra baitcasters (don't chase them anymore) were great for pin point accuracy etc but have been relegated to other duties. A couple for flathead trolling reels inshore and one on a bait jig rod for offshore otherwise it's all spinning reels now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Agree with al above replies, my barra baitcasters (don't chase them anymore) were great for pin point accuracy etc but have been relegated to other duties. A couple for flathead trolling reels inshore and one on a bait jig rod for offshore otherwise it's all spinning reels now.
    ha ha. Yep my calcuttas are on my offshore bait jig rods these days.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.