Thread: Shimano Grappler

Shimano Grappler

Bought myself a new PE3 rod - Shimano Grappler 73ML. Every now and then you pick up a rod and are blown away by how good it looks and feels before you even strap your reel to it, let alone actually fish with it. This was one of those moments. In a couple of weeks time I will have a report for you all on how it goes fishing the flats. Stay tuned.

Re: Shimano Grappler

Nice rods .....

personal opinion - at $550 + are overpriced .

Hopefully you didn't pay that much - MO have them for around $430

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I was at BCF earlier today but they didn't have that particular one in store but other Grapplers. I've been a little disappointed with some of the Shimano gear, as some of us older folk find it difficult to hold the foregrip as it is so thin. I have a fair bit of arthritis in my hands and as my fingers can't curl up anymore trying to hold them for any length of time is painful, also the reel seats that they have been putting on them don't hold any decent sized reels real well. I found this out with a Terez, also the Anthems were the same, thin foregrips, the height of where the reel seat has to be captured is too low and it feels like the reel is about to pop out, especially when trying to reel in something with a bit of size.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I was at BCF earlier today but they didn't have that particular one in store but other Grapplers. I've been a little disappointed with some of the Shimano gear, as some of us older folk find it difficult to hold the foregrip as it is so thin. I have a fair bit of arthritis in my hands and as my fingers can't curl up anymore trying to hold them for any length of time is painful, also the reel seats that they have been putting on them don't hold any decent sized reels real well. I found this out with a Terez, also the Anthems were the same, thin foregrips, the height of where the reel seat has to be captured is too low and it feels like the reel is about to pop out, especially when trying to reel in something with a bit of size.
    I hear you - that seems to be the current trend (specially in micro jig type rods) - it does also seem to be a trend in other spin rods . I had a look at some of the Nomad spin rods today ..... same deal

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

the new rods have smaller reel seats to suit high end spin reels which with advances in drag and body strength are smaller then older gear
    cold make a rubber gripper thing to held with the foregrip issue i guess, or add some tennis racket tape

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Nice rods .....

personal opinion - at $550 + are overpriced .

Hopefully you didn't pay that much - MO have them for around $430

Chris
    That’s exactly what I paid, although from a different shop

The thinner grips are one of the reasons I really like it. I don’t have arthritis (yet!) so don’t have that issue. I probably don’t have the strongest wrists going so I prefer rods where I can get a nice tight grip around the handle.

The reel seat also isn’t an issue as I am putting on a 4000 Daiwa reel (old sizing) which fits perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    That’s exactly what I paid, although from a different shop
    Well done ....... I think that's a fair price for that rod .

A couple of mates own grapplers & think pretty highly of them ....... looking forward to hearing your thoughts after a few fish .

What are you targeting ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    The thinner grips are one of the reasons I really like it. I don’t have arthritis (yet!) so don’t have that issue. I probably don’t have the strongest wrists going so I prefer rods where I can get a nice tight grip around the handle.

The reel seat also isn’t an issue as I am putting on a 4000 Daiwa reel (old sizing) which fits perfectly.
    I agree with you and that would have been the case 20 years ago. I tried putting a Penn Slammer III 5500 (not a big reel) on Grappler, Anthem and the Tesrez, it just wouldn't sit right.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Well done ....... I think that's a fair price for that rod .

A couple of mates own grapplers & think pretty highly of them ....... looking forward to hearing your thoughts after a few fish .

What are you targeting ?

Chris
    I got it for throwing SP’s and small stick baits and hard bodies at the Swains so chasing usual suspects like coral trout, red throat, spangled emporer etc. It will then double up as a nice spotted/school mackerel rod around home (SE QLD).

I agree with you and that would have been the case 20 years ago. I tried putting a Penn Slammer III 5500 (not a big reel) on Grappler, Anthem and the Tesrez, it just wouldn't sit right.
    Yep I tried putting a 7500 slammer on a Daiwa Saltist hyper rod and I couldn’t even get it on! It was the pe3-5 rod too so not a small