Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck anchor in ocean swell - Safe way to retrieve ?

Question Stuck anchor in ocean swell - Safe way to retrieve ?

Hi All,

There is a very knowledgeable boating group here, and I had a situation on the water. As I'm new to dealing with ocean swell, I wanted to ask what is best practice to a situation I was in.

So I am on the boat alone, weather and conditions are beautiful, normally if alone, I would stay in Cockburn sound, but in these conditions, I decide to head out to 5 fathom bank and chase a Dhufish or Snapper, which is located here....

279228905_455529603008938_2515529105373266067_n.jpg

There was rocky reef and sand patches underneath, its about 8 to 10 meters of water. swell is between 1 and 2 meters, I was using a sand anchor, and aimed to put it in a sand patch, with almost all rope out, maybe 40 to 50 meters.

So I'm by myself and in a 5.2 meter half cab, start the engine in idle(in case of emergency), and climb forward through the hatch and pull in the anchor. I pulled the boat to where the boat is on top of the anchor, and I cant get it off the bottom. Its obviously stuck in the rocks. No matter what I cant get it loose, and when the swell comes, its pulling rope out of my hands as the boat lifts.

So, I was thinking about cutting the rope and counting my losses, but conditions were turning, but still comfortable so I decided to try using the boat.

So I tie the rope onto the anchor tie off with a bit of slack, and slowly drive forward, past the anchor, which lifts the anchor off the reef, or breaks it free, anyway, its loose, so I pull it in and off I go with a feed of fish(no Dhuey though)

Thinking about that after, and considering the swell, did I put myself in a dodgy situation there ?

As in, I have a habit of over thinking everything, but what if the anchor held the bow down, and a 2 meter swell came in?

Could it pull the bow under and swamp the boat, or would the lift of the boat just snap the rope off ??

My mates boat has an anchor winch, isn't that how you use it ?

Its a great place to fish, but its infested with big sharks, you would not want to capsize there

Thanks everyone !

Re: Stuck anchor in ocean swell - Safe way to retrieve ?

Grab yourself a float with a clip that you slide onto the anchor rope. Drive off at about 60 degrees till the float is behind you then straighten up. The float will continue down the rope and should pop your anchor. I have a winch but occasionally I need to use the float. Last trip the chain actually wrapped around the shaft and wouldn't budge as it wouldn't break the rzippies, eventually got the right angle on it and it popped.

i just use a 4 prong reef anchor, pulls out easy with a bit of load on it. then just bend it back around into shape!

Combine Dignity and errics advice and you have the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Combine Dignity and errics advice and you have the answer.
    And even when I used a reef pick (use a Mooloolaba Pick these days) I welded a link from a chain to the head and connect the chain there and zippy tie the chain to the shank. These days need more zippies as they make them cheaper and don't hold as well although thesd days I've gone back to the good old copper wire. The idea is that when sufficient pressure is applied they will break and you pull the anchor from the head.

Ditto to what Dignity sez re Mooloolaba Pick n zippy ( cable's) . Works a treat every time . Unless like n your Missus tags along n freaks out if the anchor won't budge n like it or not another anchor n chain left behind .
    But , at Days end " Happy Wife or is it Bossy Wife ?? Happy Life " ..

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Grab yourself a float with a clip that you slide onto the anchor rope. Drive off at about 60 degrees till the float is behind you then straighten up. The float will continue down the rope and should pop your anchor. I have a winch but occasionally I need to use the float. Last trip the chain actually wrapped around the shaft and wouldn't budge as it wouldn't break the rzippies, eventually got the right angle on it and it popped.

I didnt know what that was, so I watched this. I get that it floats the anchor when its free, but I cant see that working if the anchor is jammed in rocks ?

Wouldnt the float just stay on the surface ?

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    i just use a 4 prong reef anchor, pulls out easy with a bit of load on it. then just bend it back around into shape!
    Definitely my next purchase !

Quote Originally Posted by smidsy View Post
    Could it pull the bow under and swamp the boat, or would the lift of the boat just snap the rope off ??

Thanks for the advise on getting the anchor out, or not getting it stuck in the first place, by using a reef anchor.

But, this is my main concern, could a tight anchor cause the bow to go under, or would the rope snap ?

I didnt know what that was, so I watched this. I get that it floats the anchor when its free, but I cant see that working if the anchor is jammed in rocks ?

Thanks for the advise on getting the anchor out, or not getting it stuck in the first place, by using a reef anchor.

But, this is my main concern, could a tight anchor cause the bow to go under, or would the rope snap ?
    Even with the float and clip idea some anchors just won’t come out , don’t destroy your boat getting it back . I was on a 35 ft charter boat out of Noosa last year and they got one jammed hard and couldn’t get it back , and they do it for a living . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

The only danger is if you get the rope around the prop. Otherwise if it is a decent sized boat the bow is buoyant enough. One of those clip on anchor buoys help keeps the rope away from the prop as well as driving off on a bit of a tangent.

Depends on how much you love your boat and your anchor. Number one rule (which you did anyway) is to only ever attach the line to the bow. Using a stern cleat will end up with you sinking. We have had an anchor spin us quite violently when trying to retrieve using a float but we didn't sink. The staino bowsprit roller was never the same though. Using a tripable anchor or a reef anchor in the stones is always preferable to a sand anchor. Sometimes you'll get them back, sometimes you won't. The trick is to not die trying.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

You have to play it by ear, but powering the boat to break the anchor free is a common enough practice. Just make sure you push back up into the wind and tide because that is the likely direction needed to release the anchor.

When anchoring in an area where the possibility exists of snagging the hook, I'm not a big fan of the "self release" system using a tie as it's most likely to let go at the worst possible time. Instead, I'd suggest carrying a piece of line tied to a small crab pot float that can be attached to the release eye of the anchor. This both marks your anchor position and can be used to pull the stuck anchor backwards off its snag, greatly improving the chance of retrieval.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2nd the comment on not using a stern clear, as said this can pull your stern straight under water and sink you.

The bow is normally ok, just need to make sure you start with very gradual pressure on the throttle and build as needed. Be too aggressive with the throttle on the outset is the only way it will come unstuck.

Can shorten the anchor line and allow the swell to pop you off, you just don’t want to shorten it so the anchor line is straight up and down as then you aren’t giving any leeway and you may end up with troubles…..cheers

I always use a stern cleat. But it’s on a cat with lots of rear buoyancy and a self draining deck so not so much of an issue.

I’ve had similar issues in 70-80m of water. Took me half an hour of trying to release the anchor from around a rock. Huge amounts of pressure at some stages but I’d say just to stay patient and work the rope at right angle to where the boat was pulling on to get it to free.

The float is a must for retrieving. Screw pulling anchor in anything but a sand/mud bottom on a small creek boat.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Smidsy, as you power forward your bouy will be forced down the line. You are using the bouy to provide upward pressure on the anchor.

Here is my M'ba Pick after I got it out in 65m where it was well and truly stuck. It happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks everyone for the comments !

My gut feeling is the rope would have snapped before it sunk the boat.

Either way, it sounds like I didnt do anything out of the ordinary, and I'm just over thinking it.

Ocean swell is a new factor for me to adjust to and learn, feels very different to waves.