Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck anchor in ocean swell - Safe way to retrieve ?

Re: Stuck anchor in ocean swell - Safe way to retrieve ?

It's a good topic & you've been given some good advice .

I'l give you a tip that should reduce the instances of fouled anchors .

NEVER THROW AN ANCHOR OUT !!!!!!!!!!!

Lower your anchor slowly - once you feel the bottom keep tension on the rope & allow the boat to drift (maintaining tension on the rope) . Once you have let out around 3 X the depth eg 30m in 10m of water & you've tightened up & felt the anchor bite - then tie off .

Chain length - ideally the length of your boat .

Generally speaking most fouled anchors occur when the chain piles on top of the anchor - the above technique avoids this & allows the chain to lay straight & assisting in the bite of the anchor . It takes a little longer this way but it also gives you a greater chance of success . If conditions are a little blowy - keep the motor in gear . lower the anchor as above . .

If I wanted to be accurate on a specific location - I would lower the anchor & lift it slightly .... then once I had my position lower the anchor down those last couple of meters (as above) .

Finally - Save an buy a Minn Kota or Motorguide with spot lock - life becomes so much easier

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    It's a good topic & you've been given some good advice .

I'l give you a tip that should reduce the instances of fouled anchors .

NEVER THROW AN ANCHOR OUT !!!!!!!!!!!

Lower your anchor slowly - once you feel the bottom keep tension on the rope & allow the boat to drift (maintaining tension on the rope) . Once you have let out around 3 X the depth eg 30m in 10m of water & you've tightened up & felt the anchor bite - then tie off .

Chain length - ideally the length of your boat .

Generally speaking most fouled anchors occur when the chain piles on top of the anchor - the above technique avoids this & allows the chain to lay straight & assisting in the bite of the anchor . It takes a little longer this way but it also gives you a greater chance of success . If conditions are a little blowy - keep the motor in gear . lower the anchor as above . .

If I wanted to be accurate on a specific location - I would lower the anchor & lift it slightly .... then once I had my position lower the anchor down those last couple of meters (as above) .

Finally - Save an buy a Minn Kota or Motorguide with spot lock - life becomes so much easier

Chris
    Different strokes for different folks. Shallowest I fish is around 25m but generally around 60m etc. The only thing I'd add is to approach the area you want to anchor and just let the boat drift back a while, then approach the spot and go past it, general rule of thumb is at least the depth you are in - this can increase if there is wind etc then drop your anchor. For example in 30m of water I would go past at least 30m but often 40m if a bit of wind.
    Doing it this way you are approaching the anchor spot from the direction your boat will hang and you won't wrap your anchor chain around a bommie, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by smidsy View Post
    Thanks everyone for the comments !

My gut feeling is the rope would have snapped before it sunk the boat.

Either way, it sounds like I didnt do anything out of the ordinary, and I'm just over thinking it.

Ocean swell is a new factor for me to adjust to and learn, feels very different to waves.
    Unless you have a light rope, it would be easier to sink the boat than break the rope.

Agree with the above advice but these girls have a better SS loop and they use zip ties to good affect.

I use a SS split ring not unlike a big key ring so i can slip the ring over my 12 mm anchor rode wherever I need too.

Easy especially when solo fishing which I often do. Also deckies are getting slacker and dont like hard work these days.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Very interesting video. That's a big float, and 1 zippy tie, certainly won't hold in my waters, in fact the quality is getting worse and being a little more conscientious of leaving plastic brhind I've moved back to copper wire. That big ring isn't really necessary, they could have just gone up a couple of sizes of carabini. I actually use a clip similar to a mooring hook, 1 less piece of equipment needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Very interesting video. That's a big float, and 1 zippy tie, certainly won't hold in my waters, in fact the quality is getting worse and being a little more conscientious of leaving plastic brhind I've moved back to copper wire. That big ring isn't really necessary, they could have just gone up a couple of sizes of carabini. I actually use a clip similar to a mooring hook, 1 less piece of equipment needed.
    Sam, although we dont use the anchor much anymore we changed my setup to the same as these girls use..

Used to have a polystyrene ball and smaller ring but have found the new setup to be miles better and quicker and never have a problem now with the chain pulling through the ring to make sure the anchor stays on top nd its a lot easier to see on a sloppy, grey day or in the dark.. ...

Because of the soft nature of the buoy I can just tie it to the bow rail to get it out of the way as well..

anchor ball11.jpg

The copper wire is a good idea though. I used to use heavy mono..I think its time for zip ties to be kept in the boat these days..