Thread: Getting nervous

Getting nervous

With a upcoming trip to Evans head (less than 2 weeks) I'm starting to get nervous .... (Its a long drive & I've got mates meeting me there )

The past few weeks - massive flooding from those big northern rivers ..... so I'm thinking how it will affect inshore fishing ( Yes empathy to those living in the area & affected by the floods ) ...... we will spend a couple of grand in the local economy (Bait , Fuel ,Accom , food etc)

I've had people say - cancel ...... nah to that

Rain is still forecast .......

How do do you guys feel a couple of weeks out ........ knowing that wind / rain effects all

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Getting nervous

Naaaah go for it , been in that pos when Caravaning n still worked out nicely.
    You will get a chance to wet the Tinny.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Naaaah go for it , been in that pos when Caravaning n still worked out nicely.
    You will get a chance to wet the Tinny.
    Normally - you'd have the local rivers as a back up option ( incl Richmond & Clarence) - they are both flood effected . The dirty water coming out of these (north & south of Evans) you'd think would have some effect on the offshore fishing .

But you are right - The accom is paid for , plans are made ..... boat's ready - just hoping for good weather.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nike... Chris.............

The school holidays will be over, the fish will be thankful for that.

2 weeks is a long time and although the rivers may still be brown, fish still need to eat.

Let's not forget the attraction of the " dirty water lines " out there close to shore.

and you are right, pumping some $'s into the local economy at this time is important.

Enjoy..... LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

G'day Nagg - I live in Maclean and yest the river is pretty ordinary to say the least but I have a few mates who went to sea last week off Brooms and flogged the snapper and pearlies in close - dirty water only on the top 3-4 meters. They were trolling rmg scorpions in the 5-6m diving range and had a ball. I would think Black Rock - south of Evans will be pretty brown but the fish are usually there on the northern side of the reef edge and trag really don't care too much - should be a few jew on the inside edge close to the beach as weel where esk river comes out. You won't catch em in your lounge room so if weather permits I would be out there in a heartbeat and fish the bottom. Good luck -safe travels.
    Cheers,
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Nike... Chris.............

The school holidays will be over, the fish will be thankful for that.

2 weeks is a long time and although the rivers may still be brown, fish still need to eat.

Let's not forget the attraction of the " dirty water lines " out there close to shore.

and you are right, pumping some $'s into the local economy at this time is important.

Enjoy..... LP
    Absolutely Phill

It's actually funny thinking about it - Everytime I've come to Evans (5 times) it's been on the back of Heavy rains (flood Feb 2020) , Cyclone , big seas ...... I've never been able to head out on day 1 - but every trip has been memorable - if not for quantity , then quality or numbers of species .
    Thankfully I'm still 12 days out & have 9.5 days of fishing .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by scroman View Post
    G'day Nagg - I live in Maclean and yest the river is pretty ordinary to say the least but I have a few mates who went to sea last week off Brooms and flogged the snapper and pearlies in close - dirty water only on the top 3-4 meters. They were trolling rmg scorpions in the 5-6m diving range and had a ball. I would think Black Rock - south of Evans will be pretty brown but the fish are usually there on the northern side of the reef edge and trag really don't care too much - should be a few jew on the inside edge close to the beach as weel where esk river comes out. You won't catch em in your lounge room so if weather permits I would be out there in a heartbeat and fish the bottom. Good luck -safe travels.
    Cheers,
    Troy
    Thanks Troy

do you mean Jerusalem creek (not Esk river) From memory JC comes out at black rock ?

I had a bit of a look last trip (Black rock) & it didn't inspire me so went to South Evans ..... had a ball

clearly I need to know a bit more about that area.

I certainly wont be sitting in a lounge room

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Sorry mate - yes Jerusalem creek is what I meant to say. There are some great kelp beds, ledges and shale patches around Black Rock and then back toward Woody is the shallow mackeral grounds where we troll hardbodies for snapper and do pretty well on bigger fish in the 8-11m depth. Fingers crossed for your weather window!!
    Troy

The river mouths and bars are prime for big jewfish....even if you can't get outside.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    The river mouths and bars are prime for big jewfish....even if you can't get outside.
    There are some jew getting caught atm too .
    Unfortunately the Evans R is a fairly small , shallow system & drifting the breakwall would be challenging ( could try spotlocking & casting big placcies)

If we were blown out - I'd probably have a look at the two big rivers though.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by scroman View Post
    Sorry mate - yes Jerusalem creek is what I meant to say. There are some great kelp beds, ledges and shale patches around Black Rock and then back toward Woody is the shallow mackeral grounds where we troll hardbodies for snapper and do pretty well on bigger fish in the 8-11m depth. Fingers crossed for your weather window!!
    Troy
    Thanks for your input Troy - we should have the time to do a little prospecting this trip , so I'll give it a shot

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO