Thread: Handlines

Ausfish Platinum Member

Handlines

Just seen a comment about hand lines in the Ukraine post, which took me back to the weekend fishing with a mate, and he bought along and we used handlines.
    I haven't used handlines since a kid. I remember dad always having a handline over the side with something on it.

Got me wondering, who still uses them? Is there a good bad or anything to look for when buying them? I'm going to get a couple and start using them again, it was fun feeling bits and pulling fish with it.
    Cheers
    Corry

Re: Handlines

Yes Corry , my Missus uses a handline and when i had the offshore rig i Always used a handline when chasing Trout.. You need to feel that slight tickle on the end of the line and wind like mad lol..
    If you do get a handline get one that lays flat on the floor and doesnt kink up or curls everywhere otherwise you may be asking for trouble getting it caugth around an ankle etc not to mention knotting up frequently..
    brands ?? Sneider used to make a Good Mono though dont know about nowdays ??..
    Check worth your local tackle dealer ..

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    Just seen a comment about hand lines in the Ukraine post, which took me back to the weekend fishing with a mate, and he bought along and we used handlines.
    I haven't used handlines since a kid. I remember dad always having a handline over the side with something on it.

Got me wondering, who still uses them? Is there a good bad or anything to look for when buying them? I'm going to get a couple and start using them again, it was fun feeling bits and pulling fish with it.
    I was reintroduced to handling in Cooktown the last 3 years and loved it for a different perspective on fishing , I have an ironwood reel and 70 lb Schneider line and 9/0 long shank mustard hooks , it’s in the cupboard and goes in my tackle bag when we head of in our van along with rods and reels

A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

A good tip for hand lines is to fill the spool well and on the way out trail all the line out for 15 minutes and that will take a bit of stretch out and any twists and when winding back on let the spool slip in you hand a bit and then you will get a good even spool and a good tight spool less tangle and less lost fish and injuries.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Great advice chris69, that will be done
    Cheers
    Corry