Thread: Possession limits (NSW)

Possession limits (NSW)

I was having a chat yesterday with a bloke I've got to know (keen fishoe) & the conversation went to jew fishing .... He'd tell me he'd go away & usually get a fish a session .... fillet / cryovac & usually come home with a good feed of fish . Anyhow I raised the point of possession limits & I was surprised that he didn't know that such a thing existed & you can get pinged for what you have in your fridge etc back at your accommodation home etc . Didn't believe me & then started the ..... "This is wrong how can can they etc "

Now to be honest - I don't generally keep a lot of fish .... so I never really familiarised myself with the actual rules. ..... So I did & was totally surprised at what the rules actually state. With the exception of a few species like trevally , Flathead (other than dusky) , bass , blue swimmer crab & a few others - "The possession limit is the daily bag limit"

So it's 1 jewfish , 10 snapper , 5 mackerel etc . For those other species ..... "The possession limit is twice the daily bag limit "

As I said I'm taken by surprise & actually glad I checked the rules ....... as it would be easy to exceed these when you go away for a multidayer / extended trip specially on something like Jewfish (1 fish)...... 10 snapper is a good session - but when you are fishing for a week or more .... it's not a lot.

Anyhow I guess it's a wake up call to know the rules .... not just size & bag limit ..... but also the possession rules .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Possession limits (NSW)

And it varies state to state, e.g. up here in qld the boat limit is 8 snapper even if you have 4 anglers aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    And it varies state to state, e.g. up here in qld the boat limit is 8 snapper even if you have 4 anglers aboard.
    Hence why I mentioned NSW ..... but as much as anything it highlights the need to keep up with the regulations .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

How are the rules applied if the fish are transported inter state? Eg swains charter off queensland for a week then travel back to nsw with eskys full of frozen fish. Do the qld rules and regs still apply as they were caught in qld??

Quote Originally Posted by joffo81 View Post
    How are the rules applied if the fish are transported inter state? Eg swains charter off queensland for a week then travel back to nsw with eskys full of frozen fish. Do the qld rules and regs still apply as they were caught in qld??
    I think you would just need to prove that the fish was caught in Qld - Photos & a record of your charter would be hard to dispute .

The reality is that fisheries dont really venture away from the water - boat ramps / on water compliance . If they have a suspicion of illegal activity then you could get raided - That's certainly happened in NSW.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I wouldnt worry too much.....I havent seen anyone from Fisheries in a couple of years now..

They all seem to be pretty busy, tucked away in little rooms looking for people lighting illegal campfires on Youtube video's...

Many years back we had to be sure that when we crossed over from NT to Qld we only had the Qld limits which were less. Many anglers had been stopped a long way from any water and checked.
    I had done charters out of the Tweed and the operator gave us all receipts for our fish if we were heading back into Qld as the size limits especially on Pearl Pearch was several cms smaller in NSW at that time. The other interesting thing is that the Qld/NSW border doesn't head east as you would think but continues to follow the same line when it hits the sea, ENE, so you can be fishing in waters and looking at the Gold Coast but are actually fishing NSW waters. Now if you launched in Qld but fished in NSW, what rules apply. Haven't check NSW regs to see the differences now so maybe no longer an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I wouldnt worry too much.....I havent seen anyone from Fisheries in a couple of years now..

They all seem to be pretty busy, tucked away in little rooms looking for people lighting illegal campfires on Youtube video's...
    there have been raids ....... Nomads pulled over & checked . I remember 1 which was exceeding winter whiting limits ...... from memory they were in their van

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    there have been raids ....... Nomads pulled over & checked . I remember 1 which was exceeding winter whiting limits ...... from memory they were in their van

Chris
    I saw them Once in Cooktown and when they arrive the phones run hot the rest of the time nobody bothers ,
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......